Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Benchmarks are subjective. To take them more seriously than they deserve is unfortunate. To live and die by benchmarks is silly. They show what they are programmed to show, ignoring the intricacies that 'real life' use could possibly exploit.

Reactions: canadianpj

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The king has spoken

in fairness it’s not a horrible take this time haha

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I don't suppose Rene is related to Jordan Peterson? They both seem to go with the idea that if you throw enough words out people will think you're smart. Or something.
Rough comment given that Peterson is a very bright individual (though there are things I fully disagree with him about). I have no issues hearing him speak and appreciate that I can focus on the content of his words.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Oh this ding dong is back on the market now? Google must have run out of things for him to do. I tried watching this but he is just full of so much hot air and likes the sound of his own voice.

I agree totally.

In honestly gives me no pleasure to have that opinion about anyone putting themselves out there, but Rene ... he's just such a sell out that it's hard not to be critical.

Reactions: BellSystem

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Can't fix stupid...

These days, people download a benchmarking app and think they have all the answers

Yep. I've said it a million times, any IT person worth their salt knows how USELESS benchmarks are. It was blatantly apparently when the M2 air came out. If you went by people running benchmarks you'd think it was a terrible device but anyone who actually did real world usage tests found the exact opposite (myself included).

Things I ran just fine on my M2 air include, but are not limited to:

-Houdini (many different simulations)
-Blender (renders finished faster than my maxed out 2019 Intel MacBook Pro)
-Final Cut (edited lots of 4k video without a hiccup)
-Motion (I forget how many effects I had before any lag from ram preview but it was a lot)
-Logic (I had 24 tracks going just fine, could have probably done more but I got bored and stopped)
-Tons of Xcode, Godot, and Unity.
-Gaming (mainly FF14)
-Affinity Suite

No throttling, no overheating, the thing didn't even get warm.

Benchmarks are useless, period.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Benchmarks are useless, period.
Not necessarily. I would argue benchmarks by themselves are perhaps useless. Using benchmarks in conjunction with other information such as reviews, hands-on demos and so on aren't as it's another tool someone can use to make an informed decision.

Reactions: phrehdd

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Nothing a single reviewer says about any product has any value, they are all too scared to be of any value, they may want to be honest, but they have to lie, they have to be dishonest, be frauds, the system rewards them for being true to the supplier of the product...

They never test the product as it is going to be used by the average person, they are not going to use that, as it is not sexy, I have never trusted what reviewers say, as they are paid to lie...

The benchmarks used is like using IQ to allow into medical school students, and that is just not the right approach, the result is bad medical doctors providing a bad outcome, having no idea they are bad.. The system is rigged..

Benchmarks don't show real life, and no one is holding Apple's feet to the fire and going all out.. 8GB RAM in 2024, on a macbook air/pro is insane, it is stupid, it is pathetic and juvenile..But will Rene risk his income to come out and be brave and take on Apple? No one is that crazy.. you have too much too loose, access to review issued devices, access to the kingdom of keynotes, give up the Apple Swag???

Apple make bad products, very expensive bad products, there is no reason, Apple could not ship mac laptops with 32GB RAM, a 2 TB SSD, and the laptop is modular for no more than $999, the sell more for less, instead of sell less for more...

Apple should recall every macbook air with 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD, replace them with a better version, swap out the motherboard with soldered in parts, for one that allows upgrades, all of this for $99.. Why not, it is not like that would put Apple into any form of Chapter 11..

It does not matter, Apple will still flog garbage...expensive e-waste and hope no one says anything...

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I agree totally.

In honestly gives me no pleasure to have that opinion about anyone putting themselves out there, but Rene ... he's just such a sell out that it's hard not to be critical.

Rene Ritchie has no clue what he talks about and spreads misinformation. This dude was saying how Apple would destroy NVIDIA with ARM Mac.

In reality, NVIDIA has become way more dominant.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Rene Ritchie has no clue what he talks about and spreads misinformation. This dude was saying how Apple would destroy NVIDIA with ARM Mac.

In reality, NVIDIA has become way more dominant.
The guy takes Guy Kawasaki-level evangelism to an extreme. The only one perhaps worse than Rene was his twin Jim Dalrymple although nobody could eclipse Daniel Eran Dilger for Apple evangelism.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
16 pages and counting!

Sheesh! You'd think we'd all have something better to do than post complaints about one guy supposedly shilling for Apple! 😀 *

Many of us rarely watch these video reviews, adverts, promos, anyway. and certainly not enough to know one personality from another -- or, to judge whether iJustine, Rene, Paul, John, George, Ringo, Bob, Carol, Ted, or Alice are any good or not!

I do like Bridget Carey, though, and her "One More Thing". But I only know about her because I added the CNet Channel to our Roku box... Catching it once a week, if I even remember to do that, is about all I can take of these "reviewers" or "influencers"!

*And, you'd think I'd have something better to do than post a comment about a long thread on a topic I don't really care about. 🙈

P.S. Just to contradict myself, I remember reading Rene's articles and pieces years ago in one of the Mac mags, and liked him.

Question: How many people have read more than handful of the comments in this incredibly long thread?

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I agree totally.

I just don’t like his arrogance laced with know it all mixed with self appointed authority while willing to hitch up to the Apple or Google wagon if any of them show mild interest. There’s just so much that bugs me about him. Im sure his wallet is filled with big tech money.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
There seems to be a problem with the words journalist and reviewer.. Rene is a reviewer, that is someone that is paid to review a product/service, they will only include what makes the product look great, they will never include any personal views, for example how they feel about 8GB RAM being pathetic in 2024.. They may agree, but they will find a way to highlight the positive aspect of how great 8GB RAM is..

What i find bizarre is that Apple, the mighty great machine cares about a bad review, that is insane to think the mighty Apple Inc has fears about a product, so they have to come down hard on anyone that says a bad thing..

So instead of being wise, Apple could go the route of 2 versions of the laptops, AIR=fixed internals, you BTO.. The Pro is modular, it has the ability to be upgraded, you can buy through the istore updates such as SD card slot readers, RAM, SSD, graphics cards..

It would stimulate growth of add on's such as e-GPU, replaceable graphics etc, batteries.. If Apple came out and said that macbook air's could be replaced for pro's [modular] for $499 base model pro, and updates cost what what, I would camp at the mall... no question..

It makes so much sense, but does Rene take this view? NO.. even if he did, even if he came out all guns blazing, gave up his precious seat in the kingdom of keynotes, all the swag, would I trust him?

Trust is earned, easy lost and takes a lifetime to repair.. Any reviewer of any product, tea towels to laptops, can never be trusted as far as I am concerned, they cannot prove to a level I trust that they are not in fact doing a public relation job for the brand in question...

• Love

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I just don’t like his arrogance laced with know it all mixed with self appointed authority while willing to hitch up to the Apple or Google wagon if any of them show mild interest. There’s just so much that bugs me about him. Im sure his wallet is filled with big tech money.

Rene is one of the earliest bloggers of Apple things. He’s definitely put in the work. Over time, yes, he got worse being too biased like he was auditioning for Apple. I think he even pointed out probably from lessons learned that Apple doesn’t really target early reviewers because they’re favorable. He was at one point able to post about rumors having someone with inside info. He pivoted away from that as Apple started frowning on it especially after Gizmodo and iPhone 4. He did the same with jailbreak stuff realizing this wasn’t something they needed to focus on. But he still could never get favored reviewer status with Apple. He wanted to be like macGruber of daring fireball.

But I wish him nothing but the best. His podcasts were always really good. He knows his stuff. He could write a book reviewing something.

You can’t really compare him to all the YouTubers these days looking for clicks.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Many of us rarely watch these video reviews, adverts, promos, anyway. and certainly not enough to know one personality from another -- or, to judge whether iJustine, Rene, Paul, John, George, Ringo, Bob, Carol, Ted, or Alice are any good or not!

Exactly. There are a few written review sites I trust but video reviews are pretty useless for me.

Kudos to aa Beatles and Culp/Wood/Gould/Cannon reference...

Rene is a reviewer, that is someone that is paid to review a product/service, they will only include what makes the product look great, they will never include any personal views,

Having reviewed items in the past, I approached it it as how I would use its and wrote the pros and cons. Never had an issue with any company over a review; even if I panned their product.

for example how they feel about 8GB RAM being pathetic in 2024..

Not everyone thinks 8GB is pathetic; for many users it's plenty. Not all users spend their time worrying about specs, they just use the machine.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
There seems to be a problem with the words journalist and reviewer.. Rene is a reviewer, that is someone that is paid to review a product/service, they will only include what makes the product look great, they will never include any personal views, for example how they feel about 8GB RAM being pathetic in 2024.. They may agree, but they will find a way to highlight the positive aspect of how great 8GB RAM is..

What i find bizarre is that Apple, the mighty great machine cares about a bad review, that is insane to think the mighty Apple Inc has fears about a product, so they have to come down hard on anyone that says a bad thing..

So instead of being wise, Apple could go the route of 2 versions of the laptops, AIR=fixed internals, you BTO.. The Pro is modular, it has the ability to be upgraded, you can buy through the istore updates such as SD card slot readers, RAM, SSD, graphics cards..

It would stimulate growth of add on's such as e-GPU, replaceable graphics etc, batteries.. If Apple came out and said that macbook air's could be replaced for pro's [modular] for $499 base model pro, and updates cost what what, I would camp at the mall... no question..

It makes so much sense, but does Rene take this view? NO.. even if he did, even if he came out all guns blazing, gave up his precious seat in the kingdom of keynotes, all the swag, would I trust him?

Trust is earned, easy lost and takes a lifetime to repair.. Any reviewer of any product, tea towels to laptops, can never be trusted as far as I am concerned, they cannot prove to a level I trust that they are not in fact doing a public relation job for the brand in question...
Add another word to the list of journalist, reviewer and then advertorialist.*

I worked at a local paper long ago. We had journalists who did fact stories and yes, there was obviously subjectives put within the story and then reviewers who did things such as products and movies and finally, advertorialists who did advertorials which were promotions or intentional positive editorials passed off as reviews. One woman at the paper did lots of those for restaurants and we knew it was for the free meals.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
2 points,
1- Then why solder and refuse to engineer in upgrades?
2: Then why lie about the 8GB in M is better than 16GB in Intel?

Why does Apple care so much about negative reviews? Make a better product, then it will sell..
But even if Apple did this, would I trust anything any reviewer says? NO, never as they are paid to lie, or at least be extremely economical with the truth...

• Love

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Rene is one of the earliest bloggers of Apple things. He’s definitely put in the work. Over time, yes, he got worse being too biased like he was auditioning for Apple. I think he even pointed out probably from lessons learned that Apple doesn’t really target early reviewers because they’re favorable. He was at one point able to post about rumors having someone with inside info. He pivoted away from that as Apple started frowning on it especially after Gizmodo and iPhone 4. He did the same with jailbreak stuff realizing this wasn’t something they needed to focus on. But he still could never get favored reviewer status with Apple. He wanted to be like macGruber of daring fireball.

But I wish him nothing but the best. His podcasts were always really good. He knows his stuff. He could write a book reviewing something.

You can’t really compare him to all the YouTubers these days looking for clicks.
His content was always bias to pleasing Apple. He can go kick rocks from his Google office pretending he’s the principal of YouTube.

Reactions: cardfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.