Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
The lengths some people will go to defend Apple at all costs...it's truly astonishing.

What happened to naming all the pros and cons of the device and then letting people choose?
Ok.. you go first... can we all sit in judgement of your spouse? Not that we've met them, but we can all sit on the sidelines and pass judgement

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hard disagree. Benchmarks don't remotely reflect real world usage which is the problem. I've posted this in other threads but I spent hours (days at this point) hammering my new MBA since I got it. I ran simulations in Houdini, rendered and animated in Blender, edited and exported 4k video in Final Cut, made music in Logic, worked in Xcode, played games, etc and this machine handled it all and didn't even get warm.

Why? Because it's real world use by a human, not a program designed to max everything 100% constantly for hours.

Real world usage > benchmarks every single time.
If you disagree with benchmarks, I guess you also don’t give scientific research a ton of weight because they don’t really reflect real use either. However, what benchmark can do is giving users a clear idea of relative performance between different hardware and different configs of same classes of hardware. Yes, most people don’t intentionally stress their machine 7*24 at 100% load, but if 100% load performance has noticeable differences, one can reasonably assume medium to low load would have some differences as well, albeit less pronounced.

Besides, you love real world test. Then I’m gonna ask you: how do you discuss with other people that has drastically different use cases than you about hardware performance? Or you just simply choose not to engage in such conversations? How would people compare machine performance without an agreed standard set of rules? Does someone “only opening 3 safari tabs while watching YouTube feeling snappy” have anything to do with another dude who “keeps 30+ tabs open and dozens of background apps running at the same time”? Same M2, we can get two drastic results: one says M2 is plenty powerful. The other says M2 is underpowered. Who is right? Can someone new to MacBook make a decision based on those two “real world” scenarios?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If you disagree with benchmarks, I guess you also don’t give scientific research a ton of weight because they don’t really reflect real use either.

Im sorry but the fact that you made that leap (and think what you said is accurate) shows me I'd be wasting my time debating with you.

I said what I said and I stand by it. Period.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The lengths some people will go to defend Apple at all costs...it's truly astonishing.

What happened to naming all the pros and cons of the device and then letting people choose?
That went out of style and has been replaced with grocery store checkout tabloids for tech heads. And sadly, a lot of people on MR love their trashy tabloid electronic paper from YouTube.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Benchmark, however flawed it might be, by far is THE most scientific view of a machine’s performance in different metrics and can be compared relatively objectively. Now, whether user takes benchmark seriously or not matters little of other users decisions, but none should dissect the importance of benchmarks recording the progression of our hardware design and evolution.
It not so much the benchmarks, though it can be tricky to get valid numbers unless you know a lot about both the architecture and the benchmark algorithms. We saw some of this when people were first using GeekBench on early AS chips and getting wonky results.

There is the recent trend to use massive workloads beyond a typical user’s scenarios and then, after hitting a wall, to promote that as a failure that would make the machine unusable. Sometimes it is the video title that makes that kind of claim but the actual video content is more nuanced, but it is often just the title and intro commentary that people see and then post as an example of Apple’s failure. If someone pushes back against this kind of narrative, then they are labeled a shill and that they are just parroting Apple talking points. The result is a lot of people shouting at each other but not much actual communication or useful information.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
The one thing I do wish he'd change is those video thumbnail styles..

lol
100% agree. And his are hardly the worst. To me those hysterical thumbnails with three scary typefaces and flames/explosions/skulls-and-crossbones, etc. are just a sign that the channel is probably not serious, and I can safely move along without even watching.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It not so much the benchmarks, though it can be tricky to get valid numbers unless you know a lot about both the architecture and the benchmark algorithms. We saw some of this when people were first using GeekBench on early AS chips and getting wonky results.

There is the recent trend to use massive workloads beyond a typical user’s scenarios and then, after hitting a wall, to promote that as a failure that would make the machine unusable. Sometimes it is the video title that makes that kind of claim but the actual video content is more nuanced, but it is often just the title and intro commentary that people see and then post as an example of Apple’s failure. If someone pushes back against this kind of narrative, then they are labeled a shill and that they are just parroting Apple talking points. The result is a lot of people shouting at each other but not much actual communication or useful information.
Well, I blame people using the benchmark without trying to reasonably deduct conclusions based on benchmark results. Unfortunately, when money is down the line, concessions must be made and meal must be prioritised over ethics and whatnot until it is less of an issue.

Still, integrity and unbiased attitude are critical for doing reviews, yet this attribute becomes rarer as time goes by. Most are either struggling, got heavily bribed by companies, or just put personal feeling into everything, skewing the result.

Reactions: sorgo †

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Rene Ritchie is really hard to take seriously. But a reviewer who’s taking a very sensible approach to this throttling stuff is Lisa from Mobile Tech Review, heavily recommend her as a review source to add to your roster, she’s great.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Rene Ritchie is really hard to take seriously. But a reviewer who’s taking a very sensible approach to this throttling stuff is Lisa from Mobile Tech Review, heavily recommend her as a review source to add to your roster, she’s great.
Agree totally. Lisa from Mobile Tech Review is an informative, interesting and balanced tech reviewer.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Lisa is an absolute legend and her quality output is severely underrated.

OT: One of the funniest titles/threads in a while, thanks for the laugh

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Also a big fan of Lisa. always levelled with a minimum of BS.

I will say this about Rene. He’s a good guy. Always very supportive of other creators

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
It often isn't the benchmark results. The results are fine, the numbers are good bar certain outliers. How some youtubers are *reacting* to those numbers presented is what is so disappointing, as it presents a certain disconnect that is likely pre-planned and scripted ahead of when they received the laptop.

Thing is, it's not bad if the heatsink grows by the next redesign as a result of feedback from reviewers and users. Or if they don't do single-NAND base SSDs anymore and just swallow the, lets be honest, miniscule cost of offering a storage configuration where they can go with two chips or plain faster NAND. No matter how OK the performance is now, asking Apple to do better in any and all aspects is likely not going to result in worse products down the line. So I'm not the Renee Ritchie level of upset here.

But on the topic of benchmarks, note that the M2 MBP performed so good in those that some youtubers actually thought of them as not good enough, and started to stack exports/benchmarks on top of eachother to get a scandal going. Now that was a weird one.

Reactions: teh_hunterer

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Thats why i never watch this guy's videos, he's an unapologetic shill without much of a spine to criticize. this rant was unhinged.

I much rather watch Luke Miani's channel he actually showed how you can improve the thermal performance in a video today with simple adhesive pads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.