Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mtwain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
I’m new to this website, but I’m a dinosaur when it comes to Apple products. I’ve had a lot of trouble with my mid-2016 (purchased in 2017) MacBook Pro. This is my 3rd repair this year, and I want a new computer. Apple Support hasn’t been helpful. Has anyone had an experience like this and receive a new computer? If so, please, please advise me!

Rotten Apple

Repair#1 1/17/19

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Concerns over unit not powering on and multiple keys not responding as expected.
Steps to Reproduce: Attempt to power on. Unit does not respond to SMC reset.
Unable to replicate key issue as unit does not power on. All keys appear to travel as expected.
Cosmetic Condition: Minor surface wear.
Proposed Resolution: Flat rate repair. Likely replace main logic board and top case (includes keyboard)

Parts and Services
Item NumberDescriptionPriceAmount DueCustomer KBB
605-01602Logic Board,2.0GHZ,8GB,FCC
Replacement Serial No: C026444077MHMHDA5
$ 0.00$ 0.00
605-02924Top Case with Battery, ANSI, Silver
Replacement Serial No: D868467B17XH06FAA
$ 0.00$ 0.00
631-01623Bulk
Replacement Serial No: NOT APPLICABLE
$ 0.00$ 0.00
632-00774BMU Signal Flex Cable
Replacement Serial No: NOT APPLICABLE
$ 0.00$ 0.00
S1498LL/ALabor Charge, IB/MB/MBAIR
Replacement Serial No: N/A
$ 100.00$ 0.00
S5770LL/AFlat Rate 1 Repair Charge MB/MBAIR/MBP13
Replacement Serial No: N/
Repair#2 1/28/19

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Repeat repair, usb c ports do not function
Steps to Reproduce: Observed at Genius bar
Cosmetic Condition: Little to no scratches around casing.
Proposed Resolution: Replace MLB, test. Please expedite this repair due to repeat status.

Repair# 3 1/28/19

Issue: - customer states that this morning their computer became extremely hot as they were using it. Then the fan became incredibly loud and starting buzzing and clicking. Customer showed me a video before they rushed to shut it down.
- customer states that last time they repaired their computer, they said if anything else happens to it, we would replace it. I can not find the notes stating that conversation or agreement.
Steps to Reproduce: - verified the serial number
- Read over the previous repair notes
- looked into Activity Monitor and other possible software related causes but could not find anything
Cosmetic Condition: - mint condition
Proposed Resolution: - send the device to depot to resolve the extreme heat and fan issue

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I know it can be extremely frustrating when it seems you have a lemon and more repairs do not solve the problem. I would start elevating this up the Apple chain of command. Be polite, document everything and get out your writing skills. Good luck with it. I hope you receive a new computer.

Mtwain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I’m always polite, but I’m quite frustrated. Writing a letter is a great idea.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When you talk to an Apple rep (at the store or on the phone), use the following phrase:
"I no longer have confidence in this computer, and in Apple".

Again, use THAT phrase, stating that you have lost confidence in the MacBook and Apple.
Kabish...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.