Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonathancollins225

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
My beloved Apple 30 inch cinema screen has stopped working and I am looking for a replacement 30 inch screen to give me the same resolution (2560 x 1600) and aspect ratio (16:10). My Mac pro has dual link DVI out put and also minidisplay port output. I use the Mac predominantly for Music production using Logic 9.

I have come across the Dell UltraSharp UP3017 which appears to tick all the boxes. Has anyone experience of using this monitor with the same Mac Pro?

Although in the distant past I have been happy with many Dell purchases I was alarmed to read the Trust Pilot reviews for Dell products which are alarmingly poor https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.co.uk.

I would appreciate any/all suggestions. Thank you.

Reactions: einmusiker

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Dell 3008WFP (essentially the same thing as the Apple 30") which is slowly dying... the brightness is significantly diminishing, and to compensate I've had to turn the brightness level up substantially. While it helped, it puts out an impressive amount of heat compared with new monitors. Can't imagine how much electricity it's using.

Replacements of the same resolution (2560x1600) are surprisingly in the $1000+ range. Meanwhile, I was able to order an LG 27UK850, a top-rated 4K 27" monitor, for 50% of the price. Dell also has multiple 24", 25", 27" and 28" 4K monitors for less than $600.

The Dell UP3017 should be what you're looking for, but you may want to consider a 4K monitor for 1/2 the price if your Mac can handle it. Granted, the aspect ratio is different (16:9 vs 16:10), but there's a huge price differential. I can only assume that 2560x1600 panels aren't made in significant volume, driving price up.

Salazes123

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2018
Meanwhile, I was able to order an LG 27UK850, a top-rated 4K 27" monitor, for 50% of the price.
I am interested in the same monitor 27UK850 to plug in with my MB Pro Touch Bar 13' 2018.
Would you mind sharing how did you get it half price ?

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
My beloved Apple 30 inch cinema screen has stopped working and I am looking for a replacement 30 inch screen to give me the same resolution (2560 x 1600) and aspect ratio (16:10). My Mac pro has dual link DVI out put and also minidisplay port output. I use the Mac predominantly for Music production using Logic 9.

I have come across the Dell UltraSharp UP3017 which appears to tick all the boxes. Has anyone experience of using this monitor with the same Mac Pro?

Although in the distant past I have been happy with many Dell purchases I was alarmed to read the Trust Pilot reviews for Dell products which are alarmingly poor https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.co.uk.

I would appreciate any/all suggestions. Thank you.
16:10 monitors bigger than 24" is niche, aimed at top-tier content creators with color accurate needs (NEC & HP Z).

I bought a Dell U2518D (25"/2560x1440/2018 model) and returned it next day.
Bottom half screen - yellow color shift. Poor button design. Inferior panel quality (less crisp / more heat) compared to another brand I replaced it with.
Lastly, packaging design was sub par - it shows that Dell is a monitor mill. Hopefully their computers have more care.

If I was in your shoes, I would get a used 30" cinema again or spend $1k+ on a quality NEC / HP Z monitor if you're adamant on staying 16:10.

supagiant

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
I'm looking for an original 30 inch Apple Cinema Display BOX. Anyone willing to sell? I just need the BOX withe styrofoam. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.