Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Very informative, nice to see we finally have a good way to fix these. I'll have to save it if/when this happens to the speakers on my G3.

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
The only problem I see could be the lack of that metal part on the back of the old speaker that I think is there for magnetic shielding for the CRT tube because the moving coil of the speakers can cause the image to wobble (?).
Sorry if I don't get the technical terms right.

I definitely want to try this as my iMac G3 is my first Mac ever I got as a teenager from my parents and have that same problem.

Recaptcha353

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
USA
Hello, all!
I just finished my own repair of my iMac G3 (DV) blueberry after watching the YouTube video above and ordering the speakers from the link in the video's description. It works great! The lack of metal shielding doesn't affect the picture at all. I placed a dab of superglue at both tabs on the speaker and placed a small rubber piece between the speaker and the screw to hold it in. It sounds just like the original and looks just like the original. It took awhile to get the speakers as they came from China (17 days exactly), but it was worth the wait.

Here's a link to the speakers on eBay (from the video):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-1-inch...stal+Bluetooth+For+HARMAN/JBL&_from=R40&rt=nc

We finally do have a definite way of refurbishing iMac speakers!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch and AL1630

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
The lack of metal shielding doesn't affect the picture at all. I placed a dab of superglue at both tabs on the speaker and placed a small rubber piece between the speaker and the screw to hold it in. It sounds just like the original and looks just like the original.

Awesome! I've seen a lot of complaints about foam rot over the years, good to know there's an easy cure for it now. I wonder if a similar trick would work on the Pro Speakers.

Reactions: Recaptcha353

Recaptcha353

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
USA
I wonder if a similar trick would work on the Pro Speakers.

I'd say so. You would just need to know how to take the pro speaker shells apart.

A few things the video didn't mention:

1. Both the original speakers and the new ones have a red dot on one of the connectors. The red (positive) wire goes on this connector.

2. Clean the old adhesive off of the speaker shells around where the front of the old speaker used to fit. If you don't the new speakers won't seal properly and it will look bad.

3. make sure the new speakers fit tightly inside the shell. The video recommended sandwiching a piece of something between the screw and the speaker to make up for the slim size of the replacement speakers. If you don't do this correctly, then the speakers WILL rattle. Use a tad of hotglue or superglue if you have to.

4. There are two types of JBL/HARMON Odyssey replacements on the market. Ones with straight speaker terminals, and those with 90 degree "elbow" speaker terminals. Don't buy the speakers with 90 degree terminals. They won't fit.

See the attached photo for more info.

Attachments

• INFO.png
    INFO.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Fixed another iMac mit rotten speakers today.
Since removing the speaker-bubbles of the iMac is a bit tricky, I wanna post pictures about how I managed to remove them and without breaking the plastic parts holding the speaker-bubble in place.
To remove the speaker-bubble I've tilted it to the side with the help of a wooden cooking spoon in order to bend the hook in middle a little bit upwards. By then moving the bubble up and down continuing tilting/pushing it then the middle hook eventually got out of its holding position.
Maybe there are more convenient ways to release the speaker-bubbles out of their place?

As a nice add-on to the shipped speakers, there was a thick layer of plastic foam which fitted nice to hold the speakers in place.

C333E113-AB17-4785-9304-383FBD8EE666.jpeg 2D19D49E-AEA4-4B14-8FC3-B3CB84F15E17.jpeg D6B7D37D-54A7-4DD5-8720-CA40815C973A.jpeg 661FB1E1-F677-4D4F-9BE9-F29D615A3875.jpeg 5EDDE04E-A90C-4261-81EC-AE40E0730408.jpeg

talglazer82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2019
I've got two iMac G3 with rattling speakers that are FUBAR because of foam-rot.
Today I searched the web and found this awesome video about replacing the speakers:
Don't settle for only installing the speakers in without the metal frame and magnet, the entire internal assembly can be broken to three parts with a few hits of a seperating tool (flathead screwdriver and hammer). Then simply put in the new speaker TOGETHER (the magnet will attach back the sandwich, no gluing needed) with the metal housing for a more vintage/collectible quality machine.

Reactions: ltpitt and philgxxd

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
@talglazer82 I totally agree with you. I actually changed the speakers with the above mentioned replacements from Ebay but without the whole assembly transferred to the new speakers I get magnetic distortion on the screen affecting color and wobbling on the screen as louder as they get.
I got that replacement speakers but I think while they seems to be the original ones there are new old stock and mines already have the foam rotten again after some years.
I now got a lot of replacement speakers from Pearless as there are of newer production and have fresh foam but I still haven't put them into.

Reactions: ltpitt and bobesch

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

I am now facing this plague on my 2001 500Mhz iMac...
Any new link / hint to buy parts?
The old ebay link is mot working, maybe someone has the specific size / specs of the speakers?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Superb, thanks!
Are those a perfect match or some trickery is needed for mounting?
Is the quality good or should I fight for refoaming?
Quality of the speakers seem ok - quality of my hearing-abilities (vs. tinnitus) not ...
So no complaints about the speakers from my side.
The speakers are much thinner, than the original ones. You may either follow this suggestion #11 and re-use the metal backcover and magnetic-shield of the original speaker or just use the smaller speaker with some upholstery.
I used that cut-out plastic-foam-pieces to attach/press the speaker into it's right position. No glue, no screw etc.
When you open the speakers you'll see it's kind of self-explaining, what and how to do.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I managed to find some foam to refoam them that fitted perfectly. It took months to arrive (from China) but the actual repair was quite easy and now my original speakers are good as new: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHXAMP-1-Inch-32mm-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Side-Loudspeaker-Repair-Parts-Folding/313025353556?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 . They sound great for their vintage.
Awesome!
Now we have two options to keep the iMac G3 alive!
As for me, the speakers and their quality are allways an essential part of any iMac or Macbook.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Great!
I got the same from aliexpress, 2.28 euros!

What glue did you use? Any suggestions / tips for the repair?

andyrawlins

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Great!
I got the same from aliexpress, 2.28 euros!

What glue did you use? Any suggestions / tips for the repair?
I tried Aliexpress once but had terrible trouble - it kept saying my payment had been denied but took the money anyway. I used a thin pva type glue (its actually a 'foil glue' but I imagine anything similar would work). I tried evostick but on such a small item it dried too quickly and was too fiddly.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is an old thread, but I have the same problem – rotted foam on my Ruby iMac DV. I'm not sure whether I need to just replace the foam, or the whole 1 inch speaker. Would the speakers be damaged too?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
It's just the foam.
You might just get a replacement for the rotten foam-ring - there is a video/tutorial, how to replace just the foam ring of the external speakers of the CubeG4/iMacG4 ... Should be similar with the internal speakers of the iMacG3.
The sound of the replacement-speakers I found online for the iMacG3 is but quite decent. Don't know, if replacing the foam gets the same result and where to find those small replacement foam-rings.
Next occasion I'm gonna try to preserve the magnetic shield of the old iMacG3-speakers ...

Edit: oh, of course stupid-me.
@andyrawlins posted here, how he succeded in his attempt to replace just the foam on the iMacG3's speakers ...

Last edited:
Reactions: mectojic

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

Thanks to all the wisdom in this thread I patiently collected glue, new foam and also replacement speakers.

I knew there was no way back once started so I wanted to be ready for anything.

I patiently and successfully removed speakers and opened them.
With care I removed all previous glue, put some tacky glue as many suggest (maybe a tad too much) and waited a couple of days.
It worked but with volume at max...
The rattling was terrifying, just worse than before.

So I put the replacement speakers with some foam behind, they fit perfectly.
The audio quality is...
Well, not comparable.
All the bass and all the definition is gone, it is...
Just far from exciting as it was before.

As suggested I kept all the old parts and I am now wondering...
What did I do wrong?
Maybe too much glue, the foam has become quite sticks and rigid.
I successfully removed the magnetic shield and started wondering...
Is this the main cause of the good sound?
Should I remove the back part of replacement speakers and try to put them in original magnetic shields?
Is there maybe a better replacement available today?
If I want to dig, which specs does this speaker have (size, watt, ohm)?

Thanks for everyone for this great thread.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Well, the magnetic shields might be mission critical ... #5 and #11
(Next time I'm going to reuse them too)
I was suspecting it...

My action plan is:
Gently remove with flat screwdriver new / old speakers from their metal housing, carefully clean glue residues from the metal and...
Glue them back?
Just push?
I already broken the original speakers so now I don't want to take...
Too much initiative :)

Ah, a last quesiton to be sure...
The original ones are 1", 3w, 8ohm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.