Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
OK, This is thread resurrection but I've just done this myself and documented the process. Many of the videos and tutorials seemed unnecessarily destructive.

This method involves removing the speakers, cleaning away the gooey rotted horror and replacing the foam.

The only supply I could find for the foam rings (easily) was from Aliexpress, so shipping took a couple of weeks.

Parts list:

1x "SOTAMIA 2Pcs 1 Inch Speaker Foam Folding Ring Speakers Repair Accessories DIY Harman Laptop JBL Speaker Edge Repair"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004702894828.html

Product name: 1 inch speaker foam edge
Material: foam edge
Outer diameter: 30mm
Ring Outer Diameter: 27mm
Ring inner diameter: 20mm
Inner diameter: 17mm
Remarks: Manual measurement, a little error, actual shooting +/-2mm.

Isopropyl alcohol
PVA based glue (I used fast setting wood glue, because that's what was to hand)

Tools list:

Screwdrivers to disassemble the iMac
(optional) Carpenters awl for releasing the speaker clips
Small paintbrush for glue application
Spudger, or plastic lever tool of some sort
Q-tips

Method:

Disassemble the iMac to this state: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+G3+Model+M5521+Teardown/54877#s119719

To remove the speakers, many videos have you "grab it and wiggle until it comes loose". You don't need to do that, especially given the plastics on these are now getting brittle.

Instead, take your awl, or a long, thin screwdriver and poke through this retaining clip. There's a gap just large enough to reach through between the speaker unit and the iMac case.

20230419_160506.JPG

While doing this, wiggle (a little) and pull along the horizontal axis away from the DVD drive. The speakers are also fixed down with a bit of adhesive foam, but the real reason they're hard to remove is the plastic clip.

20230419_161916.JPG

Once the speakers are removed, you can disassemble each further with a philips head screwdriver. The clear silicone can stay, I left mine in place and it sealed the bass unit adequately upon reassembly.

20230419_161704.JPG

Next you will need to carefully scrape away the vile, rotten, goopy foam from both the speaker and plastic sphere in turn. I used a small screwdriver, plastic scrapting tool, Q-tips and IPA. This took a while; you won't get it perfect, but make it clean enough for the glue to adhere to something solid.

To clean the speakers, I gently levered them away from the magnet - turn a little clockwise and lift. I stuck a Q-tip in there to keep it steady whilst cleaning away the last fo the rotten foam.

20230419_155539.JPG

Clean all the things. Yuck.

20230419_155951.JPG

To rebuild the speaker, I left the it in the poked out position used for cleaning. I put a decent layer of PVA on the outside of the inner, and slid the foam over the top. Shockingly, the foam linked above fitted perfectly, with a nice firm seal on the inside of the driver. If you have an iMac likely to need this treatment I'd strongly suggest getting these now, before they are discontinued.

20230419_155807.JPG

I then, for security, added another decent helping of PVA around the join.

20230419_161337.JPG

Do this for each speaker. Then let them dry.

Finally, spread a layer of PVA on the outer plastic rim of the speaker unit, remove your spacer and whilst carefully rotating the speaker unit back into place, glue the outside of the foam down. Sorry, it appears I didn't photograph this part.

Let this dry, and then reassemble the speaker units, being careful to make sure the cables are located in the same place they were when you disassembled them - otherwise your silicone seal won't be complete.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly ;)

20230419_205446.JPG

20230419_205431.JPG

IMO they sound as good as they ever did. It didn't involve any hacking or destruction and was done in a couple of hours.

Now you're ready to go play Heroes 3 on your fixed iMac.

Attachments

• 20230419_160310.JPG
    20230419_160310.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230419_205431.JPG
    20230419_205431.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: philgxxd

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Awesome work and write-up, congratulations!
I tried but failed miserably a few months ago.
I used tacky glue and the end result was spongy goop.
I have replaced the speakers with compatible ones from aliexpress but they don't sound that good (not horrible but not as good as old ones).

Is tacky glue ok for this work?
Maybe I put too much...

I will order more foams and try again using your method.
Are those speakers 4 ohm or 8?
I also found some high quality ones on aliexpress but I am not sure they will fit:
€ 15,29 20%OFF | AIYIMA 2Pcs 1" Inch Tweeter Speaker 4 Ohm 20-30W Treble Speaker Home Amplifier Loundspeaker For Car Audio DIY

If I can fit original ones I'd be the happiest!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Is tacky glue ok for this work?
Honestly I'm not sure. I went with PVA / wood glue because it dries clear, and is somewhat flexible. I have the feeling superglue might be a bit too firm.
Are those speakers 4 ohm or 8?
Having read through this thread, I thought about that question immediately after I put the iMac back together -- sorry!

As it happens I did pick up some of the other aliexpress speakers in case the refurb didn't work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002107871860.html

They are an exact fit diameter-wise but aren't as deep, and are probably the same design as other people have used.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.