Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This is exactly what all the anti-Apple people do not get. Google, FB, Dropbox...etc have all been doing this to files stored in the cloud. But I guess thats ok. If they think their files are any safer with another company they have all been duped...lol. Gotta love the anti-Apple crowd...lol.

For the most part and only on shared files. They don't just go willy-nilly scanning ad hoc.
And none of them scan on device. Apple is moving from minimal mail/LEO scanning to invasive forced on device scanning.

Not saying folks should just jump off, but they should do what they feel comfortable with and for those who elect to stay, watch carefully and stay up to date on this.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
This is exactly what all the anti-Apple people do not get. Google, FB, Dropbox...etc have all been doing this to files stored in the cloud. But I guess thats ok. If they think their files are any safer with another company they have all been duped...lol. Gotta love the anti-Apple crowd...lol.

This is exactly the issue with all the Sheep, they just don't understand the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasualFanboy

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Apple was the last option that was anti-surveillance. And now they've dropped out. I quit Google, FB, and Dropbox years ago, didn't you? How behind are you on this?

Linux is the only viable option.

Reactions: Euronimus Sanchez

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
I'm not anti-apple and I think that's the wrong way to categorize people who wish to protect their rights.

Also the major difference between Apple, and the others you list is that Apple has publicly stated that privacy is a basic human right. Where as Google, and FB literally sell your data to make a profit. I think you would need to be living under a rock to think that Google and FB wasn't looking at your pictures, scanning what you wrote and using your documents for their profits. I can't speak for dropbox, simply because I don't use them and I have no idea of their policies.
I'm wondering if there's a community forming for Mac users who feel abandoned by Apple. Our values haven't changed - we love great hardware/software integration, "it just works", and privacy as a human right. For 20 years, this was Apple. But unfortunately Apple doesn't satisfy those criteria anymore. I still have Mac values....but Apple doesn't.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Apple was the last option that was anti-surveillance. And now they've dropped out. I quit Google, FB, and Dropbox years ago, didn't you? How behind are you on this?

Linux is the only viable option.
Don't forget the BSD's, mainly FreeBSD and OpenBSD. They aren't as desktop friendly, but still good systems with direct UNIX heritage.

I'm wondering if there's a community forming for Mac users who feel abandoned by Apple. Our values haven't changed - we love great hardware/software integration, "it just works", and privacy as a human right. For 20 years, this was Apple. But unfortunately Apple doesn't satisfy those criteria anymore. I still have Mac values....but Apple doesn't.
Speaking of BSD.... https://github.com/helloSystem/hello

Reactions: crymimefireworks

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
This is exactly what all the anti-Apple people do not get. Google, FB, Dropbox...etc have all been doing this to files stored in the cloud. But I guess thats ok.

Anti-Apple? What are you even talking about?
I don't use google. I don't have a FB/Twitter account. I don't use FB. I've stopped using Apple.
Does that mean I'm anti-all-of-the-above? Nope.

Those are multinational companies. They can do with their products as they please. I have nothing against that. But I can spend my own money as I please. And I'm not giving them anything anymore. Apple is dumbing down their MacOS to the extremes. I have no use of that. Now with CSAM announcement I really have no interest in them at all. I don't trust them.

Just because I don't use or want to buy something, that doesn't mean I'm against it. It just means I have some other priorities. It's really a simple thing to grasp.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Those are multinational companies. They can do with their products as they please. I have nothing against that.
You should have something against that. The notion that multinationals don't infringe upon the lives of unwilling individuals doesn't work.

This is not some person with money earned honestly and in good faith.

Companies like Apple are bribing politicians, manipulating markets, destroying communities, and deceiving customers. And I have a huge problem with that.

As for the rest of your post.... :cool:

• Love

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
How ridiculous though, Apple announces they are delaying CSAM plan for 'reasons' and will work on it a bit more.

Just me that sees Apple thinking '****, we are about to launch a new phone and this CSAM thing could cost us in sales. Ok tell them we are doing something and delay it until after the initial launch sales are in then just put it in as it is.'

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
That's usually the argument used by police and people wishing to impugne on one's freedoms. Just because they don't want big brother scanning their devices, means they have something to hide.

For me, it means that a company that proudly defended its customers right to privacy is now cherry picking when they choose to defend a fundamental human right (their words)

View attachment 1825920
The argument doesn’t make sense…

if nothing you have matches, what does it matter? They aren’t looking at your photos, it’s a hash. If you don’t have anything that matches the hash, you wouldn’t be the wiser..

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
I wonder what happens if someone just spams you a known CSAM hash, completely unsolicited.

And without knowing anything about this hashing algorithm, can the hashes be spoofed?

Regardless of the answers to these particular questions, there is no doubt the feature will end up being expanded to anything imaginable.

How can anyone not be enraged by this?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You should have something against that. The notion that multinationals don't infringe upon the lives of unwilling individuals doesn't work.

This is not some person with money earned honestly and in good faith.

Companies like Apple are bribing politicians, manipulating markets, destroying communities, and deceiving customers. And I have a huge problem with that.

As for the rest of your post.... :cool:
Multinationals also don't care about the customers, only share holders. That's why the free market is in the sad state it's in. Customer complains, and company just says 'get used to it you luddite!'

Makes me wonder why they even offer a feedback option on any betas....It's like reporting Windows errors to Microsoft; accomplishes nothing.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
He was probably referring to the user interface. And that is absolutely true, Apple is on a crusade against user preferences.
so is MS and google.

As for UI Apple actually reverted to the old style safari and gave people options as one example. So they do listen to feedback.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
so is MS and google.
So what? I don't use Windows either. Remember the good old days when OSX was so much better than Windows that you couldn't even compare them?

As for UI Apple actually reverted to the old style safari and gave people options as one example. So they do listen to feedback.
Well, this is just a personal preference of mine, but safari has always been useless to me and I wouldn't even care if it was removed altogether.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If Apple did listen to feedback, iOS 7 would have never happened and would go back to iOS 6, fire Jony Ive and be as unique as they were in 2012. Oh well, in an alternate universe, maybe.

Heck, the Yosemite is Terrible page here alone spanned 130+ pages. The Apple discussion forum was full of hate of iOS 7 and Yosemite. Still, Apple doesn't care. It's the 'future' to them to go back to the 80's.

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
so is MS and google.

You're right. That's why open source, E2EE is the only option. I'm switching to Linux. I still have Mac values ("it just works", "privacy is a human right") it's Apple that has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.