Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Impressive dismissal of facts.

You mean the ones you admitted you didn't have and so you just made up? As if I am going to consider that an effective rebuttal of the real experience I had? I know you have no way to know how accurate it is, but *I* certainly know, and since you told me that yours was a lie, I can confidently know that my experience is true and yours is a lie.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Does it really evolve when the battery life stays the same all the time?
It got even worse from ip 4 to 5.
Aping the past two years it was more the design that evolved.

and why do you think battery life got worse? What chips where used in both? single cores do save battery life a lot..

----------

so what is the point of diminishing returns? Do you see value in a paper thin phone? If so, where do you go from there? Seriously...I am normally on the pro Apple side of things, but this is one fixation they have that I just don't get.

So then why not just engineer it with a 2800 mAh battery and blow away the competition on a key feature? Amazingly, the one area where they could derive a measurable value, shrinking the unused bezel area, they still have a ton of white space in.

If you continue to shave off thickness, you go past the point of diminishing returns to where the phone actually isn't comfortable in your hand. I would imagine that point will be reached for some people with this model. I have never heard anyone complain that an iPhone is too thick. Even with the 4s my wife, kids and I have. I do however constantly hear complaints about battery life. I think it is an engineering pride thing with them more than any practical reason for making it thinner in lieu of blowing out the competition on battery life.
do you think by 2050 there will be be these complaints about thinness? I'm not sure where technology will go but just learn to love what comes out and stop complaining so much. you could you know have no phone and go back to the pager days. I used to love my little red pager.

----------

So you're basically advocating thinness simply for the sake of sake of thinness?

On the other hand this is macrumors, so I guess this is to be expected...

im embracing where technology is headed... stop complaining so much. ill give you my old nokia in my closet somewhere and see how much you complain. we have it pretty good.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I have to laugh about the people here who are arguing for an even thinner device for better portability but sacrificing battery life.

You are not ok with a design which is not overly thin because it would make the device less compact and pocketable (but would massively improve battery performance) but you're fine with huge bezels .

Trim the bezels, keep the thickness to reasonable levels for good handling and battery performance and you have a compact device.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I have to laugh about the people here who are arguing for an even thinner device for better portability but sacrificing battery life.

You are not ok with a design which is not overly thin because it would make the device less compact and pocketable (but would massively improve battery performance) but you're fine with huge bezels .

Trim the bezels, keep the thickness to reasonable levels for good handling and battery performance and you have a compact device.

Bezels have been trimmed and are now less than the 5S.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
They weigh their options with great attention to detail. A bigger, thicker battery causes both weight, and thickness sacrifices (possibly heat too). They decided on a battery that lasts the vast majority of people, a full day, under normal usage conditions. If you guys can't understand that then I don't know what's wrong with you.

To address your question: "What exactly is wrong with a little thicker And longer battery life??? Does a few mm make the iPhone crap??"

It makes the device thicker, and weigh more, and possibly creates more heat, and no, a few mm doesn't make the iPhone crap, but does more battery % left when you go to sleep at night make the iPhone better? No, it's useless. The objective is to get the vast majority that full day battery life through normal usage.

There is nothing wrong with us "guys" .

Question I have for you, what is normal usage conditions?

Cause Frankly I am a light user compared to some people, and its frustrating running out of battery before I go to sleep. You cannot argue that having battery left over at the end of the say is useless, on the contrary, you want a device that can also handle days that are not average.

Though this is not just apples problem, the phone industry suffers from this. Its frustrating for me, cause I remember the good all days when phones lasted days, even with average daily usage.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
What makes you think that Apple is the only manufacturer trading off battery life for looks? What an absurd suggestion.
It is just the logical conclusion from people clamouring 'if only Apple would put in a 3000 mAh batteries like Samsung'. It is the logical conclusion from people accusing Apple of trying to force people to behave in a way that Apple wants them to behave compared to the other manufacturers which don't do that.

If all iPhone6 users NEVER had to worry about battery life, Apple would suddenly have 10m
new salespeople in bars and restaurants, concerts and shows around the world, telling Android users that they were crazy for using a phone that was running out of battery on them daily.
Never having to worry about battery life would mean at least 40 hours (ie, two days) at a consumption rate that currently drains the battery in four hours, ie, with a battery ten times what it currently is. Let's say the battery currently makes up 30% of the volume of the iPhone. That would mean a phone that is 28 mm thick, more than an inch. Yeah, that would make their sales explode.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Absolutely shocking that your post has received so many upvotes, no offence but it really shows the lack of critical thinking on the forum. Post a few graphs with a positive Apple spin and watch the upvotes flood in.

The 5S has a 4 inch screen, sub 720p (1136 x 640) not even HD, almost all Android phones are 5+ inch in size, 1080p. The 5S theoretically should be beating out all of the competition in this department, but it isn't.

Talking about critical thinking. What happens when you put a large screen on a phone but keep the same device thickness? You gain interior volume at a larger ratio because most internal components don't increase in size (the only thing that might is the graphics chip and maybe a memory chip). Which means if you use that gained volume to enlarge the battery, your battery capacity goes up at a larger ratio than the screen size. On top, your battery consumption will go up at a smaller ratio than the screen size since for example all radios (cell, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS) don't increase their energy consumption much with increasing screen size (the energy consumption will increase modestly as you might download a bit more data from websites to fill the larger screen), ditto for the CPU (it work harder but only part of the CPU work goes into filling the screen, all audio-related tasks for example have a screen-size independent power consumption.

----------

Disclaimer: Your usage pattern may vary greatly from mine, to me a smartphone is mostly a businesstool on the road. I do not claim that my experience is in any way compareable to anyone elses. In this post I am just trying to give some reasons why I would like a similar thick (or maybe even slightly thicker) iPhone with enhanced batterylife much more then a slimmer with equal or less batterylife...
But wouldn't you agree that ideally Apple would offer phones with different battery capacities, such that those which are fine with current one, get the current one, and those that need more get one with a larger batter capacity?

And if you agree with the above, what is wrong with battery packs? Their battery life to thickness efficiency might only be 50% as efficient as a larger built-in battery but if thickness is not really a concern, this should not really be a concern. Ditto if looks don't matter that much.

----------

Like you say I hope the battery is better. Looking at Apple's laptops, especially the latest ones, battery performance is pretty impressive (all in a thin design).
And we all know how they got this battery life. By reducing consumption, not by making the device thicker (battery technology also improved but by a smaller margin).

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Let's have a 6L version for large battery and thicker phone, I know I'd buy it over the normal version.

It would be so nice not to even have to think about plugging your phone in during the day or in a years time when the capacity drops from use.

An iPhone 4 thickness of 9.3mm along with the new size should be sufficient.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I get it now!

I finally understand Jony Ive's obsession with thin products:

The Ibanez S electric guitar dating from 1987 or thereabouts:

As thin as could be made without it snapping in half:
ibanez-sv5470F-overall-660-80.jpg

So I ponder if that's what's doing it.

Yes, I want reasonable (good) battery life but not at the expense of the thing being so thin it bends in my pants pocket.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I don't care about the Mac Pro nor the iMac, so I wont bother commenting on them. Having said that I do own a MacBook and by MY standards and most people's on this forum as well as a couple more college students it is the best all-around laptop currently on the market. Furthermore I have no clue what you mean by a fan-boi by "definition" because the word fan-boi is not in the dictionary, but then again thats a fat book and who has time to read it, right?; Certainly not you.

I have no idea what makes you think you KNOW what ergonomics and aesthetics are and where exactly the "fine" line is, but excuse me if I don't take your word for it.

The only one out of touch from reality I believe is you.

Try Urban Dictionary.

"Fine line" is when something gets to the point where it sacrifices, in this case, functionality for aesthetics. Apple has been doing this for years and it has only gotten worse with the elevation of Jony Ive within the company. If you can't see it you're blind. Oh wait... fan boi :rolleyes:

Glad to see that everything is about YOU. There's no shortage of narcissism on this forum, that's for sure.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Probably too late to bother to get many replies from this thread, but I figured what the hell, lets get some actual numbers. So feel free to post this on your facebook wall or anywhere else you think you can get a large and diverse audience.

http://surveymonkey.com/s/5l2mr7q

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Probably too late to bother to get many replies from this thread, but I figured what the hell, lets get some actual numbers. So feel free to post this on your facebook wall or anywhere else you think you can get a large and diverse audience.

I just voted. As thick as the iPhone 4s for 50% more battery life.

This choice is on top with almost 67% of the votes.

----------

It should be like this. A solid piece of aluminum. Rounded for comfort, and while thin towards the edges thick in the middle.

iPhone-6-02-cd.jpg

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I finally understand Jony Ive's obsession with thin products:

The Ibanez S electric guitar dating from 1987 or thereabouts:

As thin as could be made without it snapping in half:

So I ponder if that's what's doing it.

Yes, I want reasonable (good) battery life but not at the expense of the thing being so thin it bends in my pants pocket.

Ahh.. the S series... I had an S470 and I loved the thin body. Unfortunately someone in my house knocked it down(I still couldn't find out who) and broke the neck. I never bothered to fix it and sold it cheap at craigslist.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I just voted. As thick as the iPhone 4s for 50% more battery life.

This choice is on top with almost 67% of the votes.

That's my vote as well. I went ahead and paid surveymonkey $26 so the survey can have up to 1000 votes, so please post on your FB walls. No computer can vote more than once. I'm sick and tired of the apologists here claiming that the chorus of voices asking for more battery must be a tiny subsection of "power users" despite each of our personal experiences telling us the opposite. And if I'm wrong, so be it, but I think I worded the survey fairly and we should get a reasonable sample. Right now it's 80% for 4S thickness. You liars who insist all your friends think the opposite better get those imaginary friends voting quick!

ed1990

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
Sorry, I'm a bit late to respond to you, but can you define what "using it as a smartphone" means? I use my phone for calls, texting/iMessage, Internet, e-mail, games, work-related things (e-textbooks, important files and documents), even some watching TV. I use it for music sometimes, and use some fitness apps when biking or out walking. I also have some Disney apps since we are going there soon. Yet with all of this my phone still lasts 2 or more days, sometimes 3. Bottom line is, if your phone won't last even 1 day, maybe you need to reassess your usage and put the phone down.
Is this even possible? How are you getting this? Others I know don't seem to get the same amount you are getting.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Let's hope this is true. iPhone battery isn't that great and I hate having to charge my device multiple times a day

----------

Sorry, I'm a bit late to respond to you, but can you define what "using it as a smartphone" means? I use my phone for calls, texting/iMessage, Internet, e-mail, games, work-related things (e-textbooks, important files and documents), even some watching TV. I use it for music sometimes, and use some fitness apps when biking or out walking. I also have some Disney apps since we are going there soon. Yet with all of this my phone still lasts 2 or more days, sometimes 3. Bottom line is, if your phone won't last even 1 day, maybe you need to reassess your usage and put the phone down.

You must not use it at all, because no way an iPhone with any type of use is lasting 2+ days.

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
I like a big bottom bezel, phones with displays that go right almost to the bottom suck to use.

Just let the people who know what they are doing get on with it, last thing we need is a publicly desinged phone. If that was the way of things, we wouldn't have had an iPhone in the first place that was so great.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Is this even possible? How are you getting this? Others I know don't seem to get the same amount you are getting.

It's definitely possible. I get between 4-5 hours usage (actual usage, not inflated by listening to music for hours on end) over the course of 2 days. To put it simple, I don't live on my phone.

----------

You must not use it at all, because no way an iPhone with any type of use is lasting 2+ days.

I use it as much as I need/want to. My usage just may not be as much as others do.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
It's definitely possible. I get between 4-5 hours usage (actual usage, not inflated by listening to music for hours on end) over the course of 2 days. To put it simple, I don't live on my phone.

----------

I use it as much as I need/want to. My usage just may not be as much as others do.

4-5 hours usage over 2 days isn't impressive at all, and that is really on the light side of usage.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007

Well, I'm not exactly impressed with the number of responses the pole got, but I guess it is an illustration of just how hard it is to get Facebook friends to click on a link to fill out a survey. Although, I also blame everyone else who read this message and didn't post it to their Facebook wall :)

Regardless, the results after 24 hours are as follows: 15 responses, 10 of which would like the phone to revert back to iPhone 4 thickness if it means a 50% increase in performance, four of which would like to retain the iPhone 5s if it boosts battery performance by 15%, and one who is happy with the current amount of battery life and would prefer the phone slightly thinner. No one was willing to give up more then 20% of the battery life in order to make the phone as thin as possible.

I am sure that the idiots who think that only power users would like a longer battery will claim that the next 15 responses will be the exact opposite spectrum. Please, post that link on your Facebook wall without any sort of leaving prompt to see if we can get the numbers up a bit higher and have some real numbers.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Well, I'm not exactly impressed with the number of responses the pole got, but I guess it is an illustration of just how hard it is to get Facebook friends to click on a link to fill out a survey. Although, I also blame everyone else who read this message and didn't post it to their Facebook wall :)

Regardless, the results after 24 hours are as follows: 15 responses, 10 of which would like the phone to revert back to iPhone for thickness if it means a 50% increase in performance, four of which would like to retain the iPhone 5s if it boosts battery performance by 15%, and one who is happy with the current amount of battery life and would prefer the phone slightly thinner. No one was willing to give up more then 20% of the battery life in order to make the phone as thin as possible.

I am sure that the idiots who think that only power users would like a longer battery will claim that the next 15 responses will be the exact opposite spectrum. Please, post that link on your Facebook wall without any sort of leaving prompt to see if we can get the numbers up a bit higher and have some real numbers.

You seem to have wasted your money.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
4-5 hours usage over 2 days isn't impressive at all, and that is really on the light side of usage.

Exactly. This is the only type of user can claim that they get more than a single days life out of their battery.

----------

You seem to have wasted your money.

Fortunately, my hourly rate is high enough that the time I spent doing it cost me far more than the $26 and 15 minutes. Debating idiots on this message board was also far more expensive then the poll that I created. But sometimes it's worth spending some money to educate a fool.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Fortunately, my hourly rate is high enough that the time I spent doing it cost me far more than the $26 and 15 minutes. Debating idiots on this message board was also far more expensive then the poles that I created. But sometimes it's worth spending some money to educate a fool.

Oh ok cool as long as you're ok with it.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013

Regardless, the results after 24 hours are as follows: 15 responses, 10 of which would like the phone to revert back to iPhone 4 thickness if it means a 50% increase in performance, four of which would like to retain the iPhone 5s if it boosts battery performance by 15%, and one who is happy with the current amount of battery life and would prefer the phone slightly thinner. No one was willing to give up more then 20% of the battery life in order to make the phone as thin as possible.

I think some may be hesitant to say as thick as the 4 with how thin the iPhone has gotten (me not being one) but would love the increased battery life that would come along with the device being a little thicker. Even if they made it in between the 4 and iPhone 5 in terms of thickness yet added another few hours of battery life would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to hear anyone say that the iPhone 4 was "to thick"

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
for those who dont think the iPhone 6 wont have great battery life, it actually is gonna have superb battery life in my honest opinion

-20 nm Apple A8 SoC would bring huge power efficency gains right off the back already

-more onboard dedicated low power cores dedicated to stuff, (ala M7, etc) the iPhone 6 is most likely going to dive more into this, potentially having low power contextual core, and other dedicated cores like Moto X etc.

-AC wifi which brings performance improvements and more battery life

-potential use of DRAM in the screen to mitigate battery drain, more efficient LCD technology in the iPhone 6

-iOS 8 software optimizations

iPhone 6 is gonna have all day battery life book that, itll have superb battery life if the SoC is 20 nm i gurantee you that, which i think the SoC will be 20nm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.