Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I also finally beat Separate Ways last night. One querstion...the cut scenes in Separate Ways seemed to have been lower quality...even the bits from the main game. Since they were made for the PS2, do you think Capcom simply didn't upgrade them for the Wii? For the PS2, they used FMV instead of in-game cut scenes like on the Cube.

Yeah, that's my opinion/thought at least.
They're too low grade to be in-game graphics versus video. The cutscenes during the normal game are clearly higher quality.

And I agree about the rest of Separate Ways as well; looks like a straight Ps2 port with no optimization done. I'm not complaining...it still looks good, still enjoyable, and it was only $30...but - the point has to be made nonetheless. ;)

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I agree with all of your points except:

a) I don't buy the treasure maps because you can either a) remember where everything is or b) get a free faq on gamefaqs and save the money. (moreso option a for me; after playing through the game like 17x now I know where all the treasures are)

My advice was more for a first time player. The maps are way more convenient than an FAQ when it's your first time.

c) ah Red9 fan eh? (again I hate that gun)

Actually, I love all the handguns.

f) I say buy all of 'em, I always do then again my cases get filled up quick with excess unused ammo and herbs/sprays

That's 40 000 pesetas man!

g) I don't bother upgrading magnums, ever. Get the free Broken Butterfly and keep it at stock is what I do on first runs. Really...magnums are a waste on bosses IMO. *spoilers in white*

Moreso aimed at a newbie, who's going to get more use out of the Magnum than seasoned vets. (white)
You RL Salazar? That's my second favourite fight, next to the Krauser knife fight. I can't imagine skipping that one.

o) I always buy rifle scopes. don't bother with stocks though (don't buy the Red9 regardless, but didn't bother with a TMP stock 'cause that's a waste of pesetas)

There's nothing so far away that the default scope won't work as well. Maybe that's why you're running out of case space ;)

q) I don't have this problem and I reload during shootouts. Keep an eye on your ammo, shoot a few enemies down, reload while others are coming. (my style)

Nor I, I'm a huge fan of headshot+kick+reload. But newbies will have that problem.

r) I don't bother shooting regenerators with anything but the thermal scope SAR, it's a waste of ammo. except for the first two you see that you have to get by, that's a single leg shotgun blast to knock down, then run by. Get the thermal scope, come back and take out the trash. ;)

I was referring to using the Thermal Scope. Blasting out a leg gives you a clean shot at the rear Plagas, and if you do it from a distance they won't hop up on you and bite your neck (creepy as hell).

IMO Mine Launcher is better without the exclusive because you can aim where the darts go. Can't eye dart, butt dark, or crotch dart a ganado/zealot when you have the exclusive already; it will just home in on them and hit them dead center, chest area. I'd rather have fun maiming them. ;)

To each his own. I love fooling around with the homing function and bouncing mines off of non-targets.

On a side note, just this very morning my memory card became corrupted, and I have to start from scratch! I think I'm going to pick up the Wii version tomorrow.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
On a side note, just this very morning my memory card became corrupted, and I have to start from scratch! I think I'm going to pick up the Wii version tomorrow.

Wait til you get to play with the PRL...very fun weapon. ;)
I know the general concensus is that the PRL sucked in the Ps2 version but they changed it in the Wii version, it's not the same weapon. (well it looks the same and it's called the same thing but it's a different beast altogether)

I haven't bothered playing through Mercs on the Wii one yet but I hear it's a little easier. Good because I'm not looking forward to Dr. Salvador X x2 on water works all over again. :) One more thing they changed that wasn't in the Gamecube one (but apparently *was* in the Ps2 one)...no tactical vest on Pro. I was wondering about this when the merchant who normally first has the tac vest for sale didn't have it on my first Wii Pro mode, but after finishing the game, even the 'cleared save' merchant at the beginning didn't have it. I ended up posting a message on the Gamefaqs RE4 boards and found out that they removed the tac vest on Pro on the RE4 releases after the first Gamecube one.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Maybe they thought the Wii's innate ability to aim precisely and quickly, when properly setup, made the game too easy with the vest in pro mode? :)

I'm finally finishing Zelda TP to take a break from RE4. It was consuming me to the point of not working. But after I'm done with Z:TP and caught up on my work, I'll be back enjoying RE4 pro mode. The stupid Twilight dragon in Zelda pissed me off. I was about to scream, but then killed the mofo.

<]=)

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I haven't bothered playing through Mercs on the Wii one yet but I hear it's a little easier.

Awww. It only took me a couple of hours to clear all the mercs the first time around. Wasn't challenging enough IMO.

I've only had a chance to play around a little bit, but the Wii version seems like a well put together vehicle for the Wiimote. >80% accuracy on each chapter thus far with no deaths, and at least 50% headshots. I can't wait to unlock the mercs and go on a Hunk neck snapping spree :D

Since I haven't unlocked pro yet, I'm doing a pure handguns run (re: I love handguns) to make it more interesting. Sold my shotgun at the first opportunity.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Thanks you guys for the tips. I've finally rounded the corner on the game thanks to the shooting in the legs tip. I just wish they'd knife a bit better when the guy isn't on the ground...my guy is a moron when trying to knife a standing opponent :)

I've been maintaining a 92% accuracy with the handgun, but I'm so afraid of running out of ammo :D

Paul

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Thanks you guys for the tips. I've finally rounded the corner on the game thanks to the shooting in the legs tip. I just wish they'd knife a bit better when the guy isn't on the ground...my guy is a moron when trying to knife a standing opponent :)

I've been maintaining a 92% accuracy with the handgun, but I'm so afraid of running out of ammo :D

Paul

That's really good accuracy. If you're not already, try to make your shots count -- a headshot or body shot does considerably more damage than a shot to the shoulders or limbs.

If you make good use of legshots/headshots, you can round up a crowd of Ganados and deal greater damage with area of effect attacks like kick, grenade or shotgun. Also of note, several animations make you invulnerable to damage: while kicking, shaking off, or jumping down, projectiles, attacks and weapons have no effect. One of my favorite tricks when surrounded is to headshot, quickly drop a grenade, and kick. The grenade clears out the Ganados, and the kick keeps me from taking damage. Later in the minigame as Hunk, I like to headshot, grenade and then necksnap -- that makes for one badass animation combo.

If you're having any trouble with a specific spot, let us know.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Thanks,
I'll probably be posting a lot as I've been playing so slowly...have weeks between playing so when I pick up the game again I forget where I am and what I'm doing :) . That and I suck at games like this...

Paul

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I finished my first Wii playthrough, handguns only (I had 3 of them maxed out to exclusive :3) and it was a blast. The Wiimote aim was excellent, and it made a lot of parts of the game more enjoyable (I didn't think the Krauser fight could get better, but it did).

HOWEVER:

Going on a "neck snapping ballet" in Mercenaries as Hunk is a lot more difficult. The aiming reticle disappears during the neck-snapping animation, making it much more difficult to plan out your next headshot. In other versions the location of the laser would be predictable, but with the jitter of the wiimote it's hard to tell exactly where you're next shot will go after the animation. So far I've only managed 45ish necksnaps in a row, and it's kind of frustrating :mad:

Antares

macrumors 68000
Going on a "neck snapping ballet" in Mercenaries as Hunk is a lot more difficult. The aiming reticle disappears during the neck-snapping animation, making it much more difficult to plan out your next headshot. In other versions the location of the laser would be predictable, but with the jitter of the wiimote it's hard to tell exactly where you're next shot will go after the animation. So far I've only managed 45ish necksnaps in a row, and it's kind of frustrating :mad:

If you have a Gamecube controller, you can play RE4Wii with it and not use the Wii remote. So, you can still play using the original controls (including the original the laser reticule). Simply plug in your Gamecube controller (or Wavebird) and the game will automatically detect it. That may help you with Hunk.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I still don't get the hoopla over the neck snap.
It's useless against every boss except the Bella Sisters and leaves you wide open when you are going back to normal starting stance.

With Hunk, I grenade first, TMP second. Neck snap I don't bother with.

Now, if we're talking about Krauser's 2x kick or Wesker's Thrust Punch, well then, that's a whole other ball of hand-to-hand-@$$ whippin' altogether. :D

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
If you have a Gamecube controller, you can play RE4Wii with it and not use the Wii remote. So, you can still play using the original controls (including the original the laser reticule). Simply plug in your Gamecube controller (or Wavebird) and the game will automatically detect it. That may help you with Hunk.

Yeah, I know. But I want to master it with the Wii controls. I'm getting better at it, up to 78 necks in a row last night! edit: 81 now

zero2dash said:
It's useless against every boss except the Bella Sisters and leaves you wide open when you are going back to normal starting stance.

If used correctly, you can use the necksnap to dodge projectiles, attacks, explosives, etc. I can't tell you how many time I've dodged a chainsaw by necksnapping straight into — and through — a crowd. Plus, it just looks badass.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
but with the jitter of the wiimote

I might be pulling this out of context, but if youre cursor is literally jittery, then you'll need to rethink your sensor bar placement as you're probably too far from it. At 5 feet, it starts to loose accuracy. The Wiimote, given that the sensor bar is in a good position in relation to your screen size can be "very" precise.

As long as you don't have an awkward setup like my friend's plasma, which is above his fire mantle, you should be able to make your Wiimote as accurate as an earlier mouse. For my cousin's 65" projection, we found that putting the bar on a coffee table in front of the TV, just a few feet in front of it, made all of the difference.

Blah.

<]=)

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I might be pulling this out of context, but if youre cursor is literally jittery, then you'll need to rethink your sensor bar placement as you're probably too far from it. At 5 feet, it starts to loose accuracy. The Wiimote, given that the sensor bar is in a good position in relation to your screen size can be "very" precise.

As long as you don't have an awkward setup like my friend's plasma, which is above his fire mantle, you should be able to make your Wiimote as accurate as an earlier mouse. For my cousin's 65" projection, we found that putting the bar on a coffee table in front of the TV, just a few feet in front of it, made all of the difference.

Blah.

<]=)

I was more referring to two seconds of idle hand jitters, but that's good advice for when I get a new TV!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
What's this neck-snapping technique that is being mentioned?
Is it related to only one character?

I beat Resident Evil and enjoyed it thoroughly. It would have helped if I knew about how you could add Red Herbs to G+Y mixes, though.
I also didn't know that you could invert the control stick aiming.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
What's this neck-snapping technique that is being mentioned?
Is it related to only one character?

In the Mercenaries minigame (unlocked by beating the game on the Wii), you can play as HUNK, a special agent in full armour/gas mask. If you shoot an enemy in the head, if you get into melee range while they're stumbling you can snap their neck.

On a semi unrelated note, Mercenaries is too easy on the Wii. I've only tried 6 map/character combinations, and I got 5-star on the first try on each, including a couple 80+ kill sprees and clearing all 124 Ganados on the village map as HUNK.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
It took me a few tries just to get 4 stars the first time I played mercs. :eek:

When I play again, I'm going to try zero2dash's suggestion and shoot the legs first.

<]=)

There are some great videos on YouTube of 5-star run throughs in Mercs. They're surprisingly helpful. Here's what I do:

1. Start the attempt by traversing the map collecting many/all of the time increase powerups, and this is important, without killing anyone, as kills spawn many of the minibosses. I also try to smash as many barrels as possible and pick up extra ammo/healing/grenades.

Farm: Collect all time extension
Castle: Collect first two
Military base: most
Waterworld: most

2. Find a good corner/spot

3. Kill

Leon: Use handgun as the enemies run towards you, aiming for head/legs to slow them down. When they get close, use the shotgun. Against bosses, shotgun their head at close range or nade/headshots. (Leon is the hardest to use due to relatively weak/short range weapons).

Wesker: Use the rifle, line up shots to take out multiple enemies.

Ada: Use the rifle, line up shots to take out multiple enemies.

Hunk: Use TMP to spray legs, throw grenade. Rinse and repeat. (I necksnap because it's fun, it's not the best way to do business).

Krauser: Krauser requires careful aim, but if your shots are true Krauser is the easiest to use as his arm can one-shot any mini boss.

All: if you're surrounded use headshot/legshot + kick to clear things out. Hang on to your flash grenades to flash/kick if you're surrounded.

5 star is a score of 60 000. If you can achieve a 40+ killspree, you've pretty much got it in the bag. If you collect all the powerups first, then you don't have to worry about killing and remaining mobile at the same time. Camp out near a door or change in elevation to force spawns once you've cleared out the first 30 or so guys.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
JackAxe, watch Lorax86's vids.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=re4+lorax&so=0

He doesn't have the highest scores but watching his videos helped me go from struggling to get 10k to easily getting 60-70k every time with any character on any one of the 4 stages.

Just do what he does. ;)

Best advice I can give on Mercs...get all the time bonuses first, then grab a combo bonus (to start earning a high score on the 1st kill rather than the 10th), and then go crazy.

-Grenades work very very well.
-Leon sucks. :p

I rate Mercs characters as follows:
tie 1st - Wesker/Krauser. Wesker - thrust punch after a flash grenade, rely on weapons when necessary. dump the silencer on his pistol for the case space if you need it; pistol is a great headshot/1hit kill. I relied on his rifle a lot (even in somewhat crowded spots) Magnum for crowd control.

Krauser - start out with flash grenades then the double kick, use the bow only when all your grenades are gone or if you have the distance or need to keep a combo going.

3rd - Ada (even though her lifebar is weaker than $%@! and she takes damage like a mofo) very nice weapon selection. rely on the rifle 1st then the TMP. pistol as a last ditch.

4th - Hunk - grenade grenade grenade! tons of grenades are given to him. use 'em a lot. when you run out, TMP the enemies to death. (TMP is the only other weapon he has so there's always plenty of ammo.) Neck snap if you're daring, again though I don't bother with it. Neat attack, leaves you pretty open though.

5th - Leon - rely on the shotgun and grenades. pistol last ditch.

Once you unlock Wesker and Krauser you'll get really good at high scores and combos (especially with Krauser). His plaga claw/arm move is great for getting out of a pinch, killing the bosses, or as a last minute effort to keep a combo going.

One other huge thing worth mentioning...(well, two):

On the castle level, watch where Lorax goes and where he ends up. If you stay off the ground + 2nd floors of the castle, you will never see a Garrador (the boss on the castle level) - not once. (Assuming you don't open the doors at the very top of the castle which goes into a room with 2 Garradors. ;)) Normally the Garradors (after awhile), one will come running around a corner in a beeline straight for you, if you're on the ground floor (bottom of the stairs near the cannon where you start) or the 2nd floor. (On the 3rd floor you will never see one.)

On the waterworks stage - kill both Dr. Salvador X's first. (before you grab the time bonuses) It will give you a lot of breathing room because you won't be worried about getting your head chopped off by a free swinging chainsaw lunatic (or his brother). :D

Ok...one more.

Village - grab all the bonuses then go to the 2nd story of the barn and wait. knife or shoot thrown weapons, keep kicking the ladder down. When the room is nice and full of enemies (after about 30-40 seconds), grab the time bonus, shoot the barrel, jump down and run out the door and prepare for madness (enemies will start spawning everywhere). Your ears are your first warning that Bella Sisters are coming; watch out for them near windows because they will stick the chainsaw through a window and you can run into it and get your head chopped off. (It's happened to me more than once ;))

Again - watch Lorax's vids to see where he goes and what he does, it will help you a lot. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.