Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I decided to have my phone battery replaced at my local Apple store. I'm not sure if this is typical but, after running diagnostics before the replacement (everything was fine), the phone was bricked after they changed the battery. They offered to try to find a replacement original SE or sell me a new phone at full price (with most of the focus on selling a new phone). I went with the replacement option although I have no idea on when they will get one.

Reactions: gusto5

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m not surprised one bit.
The tech at an Apple store told me that opening up an iPhone (especially the newer ones that are glued together) always entails risk. Even for them. That’s why they make a point in telling customers to always backup their data before bringing/sending it in.
Most repairs end up successfully, while a few get bricked. Unfortunately you got unlucky. It happens.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I decided to have my phone battery replaced at my local Apple store. I'm not sure if this is typical but, after running diagnostics before the replacement (everything was fine), the phone was bricked after they changed the battery. They offered to try to find a replacement original SE or sell me a new phone at full price (with most of the focus on selling a new phone). I went with the replacement option although I have no idea on when they will get one.
If you weren't under warranty then that is the luck of the draw unfortunately. However, I would push back. They could at least offer you the OoW (Out of Warranty) price since they are going to end up with your bricked phone anyway.

The rep just wanted a sale…they face sale metrics now and while they do still perform technical aspects they are basically salespeople.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If you weren't under warranty then that is the luck of the draw unfortunately. However, I would push back. They could at least offer you the OoW (Out of Warranty) price since they are going to end up with your bricked phone anyway.

The rep just wanted a sale…they face sale metrics now and while they do still perform technical aspects they are basically salespeople.

I agree that it is the luck of the draw but I mistakenly thought that Apple would never brick my phone while doing a common battery replacement. I'm going to see if they can get me the replacement within the week and see what condition it's in.

Reactions: eyoungren

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That was a sign to move on

If you had an older car and the dealership destroyed it while working on it, would you say the same thing ?

I have no issues with getting something newer but I would expect not to pay full price for it since it was the Apple store's fault it was bricked. If they offered me even $40 I would have bought a new one but they insisted that I pay full price for any new one or they will look around for a 2016 SE.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
If you had an older car and the dealership destroyed it while working on it, would you say the same thing ?

I have no issues with getting something newer but I would expect not to pay full price for it since it was the Apple store's fault it was bricked. If they offered me even $40 I would have bought a new one but they insisted that I pay full price for any new one or they will look around for a 2016 SE.
Well if the car was worth $50 yes.

For the money you payed apple for a new battery you could roughly buy a 2020 model (used market)

Reactions: kitKAC

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'll give it a week to see what they can find.
OP, you might want to check the consumer laws in your State. Typically if a repair party is in possession of your device and they damage it, then it is their responsibility to repair, find an equivalent device or give you something close to what you gave them. I would check with your consumer laws. They broke it and should make good on it, regardless.

Typically most states require a company to be state licensed in order to operate, just for those reasons, so as to protect the consumer.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple will definitely find a refurb SE replacement for you. It's probably in a warehouse across the country. Otherwise, they wouldn't be offering battery, display, and chassis services for the SE.

The SE is an old small phone and chances are, most techs don't have much experience opening those.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve heard of this happening occasionally. Sadly, it’s just luck of the draw. I think they should find you a replacement SE or give you the closest to it they can find. I don’t think it was too right to offer a new one... they still have to give you an SE anyway, right? I don’t think I’d want a discount. I wouldn’t sell them a phone for the battery replacement price.

I’m lucky battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated.

I’ve always been a little scared of this, imagine if it were relevant, and I had to give them my 6s on iOS 10 with 63% health for a replacement and it breaks. They couldn’t pay me to accept a 6s on iOS 15.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I’m lucky battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated.

I’ve always been a little scared of this, imagine if it were relevant, and I gave to give them my 6s on iOS 10 with 63% health for a replacement and it breaks. They couldn’t pay me to accept a 6s on iOS 15.

Why is it irrelevant? The battery ages regardless of the ios.

Yes the higher ios is more demanding.

I guess apple will give him a credit or the next refurb iphone they have.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Otherwise, they wouldn't be offering battery, display, and chassis services for the SE.
IDK. I went to Apple a few months back to get a new battery for a 6 Plus I bought off eBay. They let me make the online appointment knowing I had a 6 Plus, this after demanding I make the appointment because they would not allow Best Buy to replace the battery (I went there first).

When I got there, everything was ok until I disagreed with the Apple Genius's assessment of my device. He claimed my logic board was faulty because it was shutting down after the battery dropping a large precent. I claimed it was a bad battery because shutting down didn't happen on charger.

He ran a few cursory diagnostics and about 30 seconds after starting says to me "Apple won't let me order a new battery."

Yet, the online appointment system allowed service appointments for exactly that. It allowed service appointments for iPhones as far back as the iPhone 5. But because I disagreed with the genius - no battery for you!

Dude wasn't going to get a sale of a new phone off me - my primary phone an 11 Pro Max was in my back pocket. I didn't/don't need a new phone. So, no sale? No battery.

They could have. They could have even replaced my phone. I got a new iPhone 5 in 2017 to replace my old one. They just didn't want to.

I took the 6 Plus to uBreakiFix which is an Apple Certified Repair store owned by Asurion and got a new OEM battery for it with a one year warranty. Doing just fine. Logicboard my ass.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Why is it irrelevant? The battery ages regardless of the ios.

Yes the higher ios is more demanding.

I guess apple will give him a credit or the next refurb iphone they have.
Because degraded batteries on original iOS versions don’t impact battery life.

Yeah, I hope they make it right for him!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
IDK. I went to Apple a few months back to get a new battery for a 6 Plus I bought off eBay. They let me make the online appointment knowing I had a 6 Plus, this after demanding I make the appointment because they would not allow Best Buy to replace the battery (I went there first).

When I got there, everything was ok until I disagreed with the Apple Genius's assessment of my device. He claimed my logic board was faulty because it was shutting down after the battery dropping a large precent. I claimed it was a bad battery because shutting down didn't happen on charger.

He ran a few cursory diagnostics and about 30 seconds after starting says to me "Apple won't let me order a new battery."

Yet, the online appointment system allowed service appointments for exactly that. It allowed service appointments for iPhones as far back as the iPhone 5. But because I disagreed with the genius - no battery for you!

Dude wasn't going to get a sale of a new phone off me - my primary phone an 11 Pro Max was in my back pocket. I didn't/don't need a new phone. So, no sale? No battery.

They could have. They could have even replaced my phone. I got a new iPhone 5 in 2017 to replace my old one. They just didn't want to.

I took the 6 Plus to uBreakiFix which is an Apple Certified Repair store owned by Asurion and got a new OEM battery for it with a one year warranty. Doing just fine. Logicboard my ass.
Wow, Apple themselves should know that increased power requirements on new iOS versions cause early shutdowns because the battery can’t cope with the requirements. This was after the lawsuit of the iPhone 6s with the throttling thing...

My degraded, updated iPhone 5c also shut down the other day, it’s not uncommon. Logic board problem... pretty funny, because it’s their fault that it shuts down in the first place.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, Apple themselves should know that increased power requirements on new iOS versions cause early shutdowns because the battery can’t cope with the requirements. This was after the lawsuit of the iPhone 6s with the throttling thing...

My degraded, updated iPhone 5c also shut down the other day, it’s not uncommon. Logic board problem... pretty funny, because it’s their fault that it shuts down in the first place.
Yeah, and that's a major reason I rejected the 'genius's' assessment. The phone came to me on iOS 12. I went in to the Apple store with the phone wiped, FindMy off and told the genius that this wasn't even a secondary phone (I bought it to use off the WiFi at home, but it being unlocked was a bonus). He already knew his chances for selling a new phone were poor. When I rejected his assessment he didn't want to deal with me anymore. I'm not the average Apple customer who knows nothing and depends on the genius for their technical advice. I knew all it needed was a battery and that wasn't what he wanted to sell me because it would have done nothing for his sales metrics.

Things have changed since I got my first full purchase iPhone in 2012. There are other good options for the older phones I have that are not my primary phone that were not there years ago. About a week after this I took my son's SE2 to the same shop to have his battery replaced. Zero issues and again, an Apple OEM battery (new) with a one year warranty.

I really don't see a need to deal with Apple itself much anymore.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, and that's a major reason I rejected the 'genius's' assessment. The phone came to me on iOS 12. I went in to the Apple store with the phone wiped, FindMy off and told the genius that this wasn't even a secondary phone (I bought it to use off the WiFi at home, but it being unlocked was a bonus). He already knew his chances for selling a new phone were poor. When I rejected his assessment he didn't want to deal with me anymore. I'm not the average Apple customer who knows nothing and depends on the genius for their technical advice. I knew all it needed was a battery and that wasn't what he wanted to sell me because it would have done nothing for his sales metrics.

Things have changed since I got my first full purchase iPhone in 2012. There are other good options for the older phones I have that are not my primary phone that were not there years ago. About a week after this I took my son's SE2 to the same shop to have his battery replaced. Zero issues and again, an Apple OEM battery (new) with a one year warranty.

I really don't see a need to deal with Apple itself much anymore.
Yeah, it’s sad that this view is held by both customers and Apple themselves, that just because it’s old then it should have poor battery life, it should be slow, and the only solution is to buy a new device. What you mention has happened with iPads, too, and users oftentimes say “it’s six years old, what do you expect?”... well, I expect it to work properly? There’s no reason why it shouldn’t. There’s no reason why a genius only sees the possibility of you upgrading the device, and I’ve read that both geniuses and - obviously - customers say “a six-year-old iPhone or iPad? What do you expect, good battery life and for it to work properly?”. Well... yes?

The only reason for which I wanted to upgrade my favourite iPad ever (the 9.7-inch iPad Pro), was because iOS 12 reduced battery life by 25%, and even though performance is almost perfect, it isn’t as perfect as it was before Apple forced it out of iOS 9. But the only reason I have these expectations is because Apple can meet them, and I know that. My iPhone Xʀ is as fast as the iPhone 15, I’d go as far as to call that combo (The A12 on iOS 12) the most efficient combo Apple has ever released. Five years later? It’s just as smooth as it was on day one. I’m not even joking, I think it’s better and more efficient than my iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15 with the M1 chip. Is it the latest? No. Is that a reason for it to be acceptably slow? Also, no.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

After the Apple store battery replacement caused it to brick, the first response that they had is that I brought in a defective phone. I then had to remind them that they ran diagnostics on it before the replacement and that the phone was fine. I imagine this works on many customers.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
After the Apple store battery replacement caused it to brick, the first response that they had is that I brought in a defective phone. I then had to remind them that they ran diagnostics on it before the replacement and that the phone was fine. I imagine this works on many customers.
What? They blamed you? When you went for a battery replacement for a perfectly working iPhone? I’ve had such good experiences with the Apple store the few times I went that I’m surprised. I mean, what you describe has absolutely no justification at all, it’s just plain wrong. Wow.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What? They blamed you? When you went for a battery replacement for a perfectly working iPhone? I’ve had such good experiences with the Apple store the few times I went that I’m surprised. I mean, what you describe has absolutely no justification at all, it’s just plain wrong. Wow.
After my own battery experience I posted about it here and there was a consensus that it was probably the particular store I go to. In my area there are three stores, the closest one being the one I usually go to. It's had bad service since before 2015.

But distance alone does not prevent me going to the other two stores. Their location does. One is in Scottsdale so I don't need the rich person attitude with the 'poor' customer on top of anything else. And the other is also in Scottsdale, but where the people richer than rich people shop, so I doubly don't need that attitude.

Reactions: FeliApple

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, sounds about right. Blame it on the customer. Everything in the Apple stores has gone downhill. I know there are people on this forum that would say their store is fine, but I do think there is a trend downwards.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I had my OGSE’s battery replaced by Apple back in January 2023. I had to sign a waiver after diagnostics were carried out and was made aware that I would NOT be provided with another OGSE free of charge if my phone was damaged. They stated that I’d have to pay $299 for a like-for-like replacement.

I went ahead with the battery replacement anyway and things worked out perfectly for me so I never had to go down that route.

If Apple are happy to provide a free OGSE, I would go with that option if I were you, OP.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
After my own battery experience I posted about it here and there was a consensus that it was probably the particular store I go to. In my area there are three stores, the closest one being the one I usually go to. It's had bad service since before 2015.

But distance alone does not prevent me going to the other two stores. Their location does. One is in Scottsdale so I don't need the rich person attitude with the 'poor' customer on top of anything else. And the other is also in Scottsdale, but where the people richer than rich people shop, so I doubly don't need that attitude.
I've used the Scottsdale Quarter store for battery replacements and new purchases many times. I've always had excellent service and was never treated poorly. They even replaced batteries that were indicating more than 80% (out of pocket) without fuss..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.