Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I took the 6 Plus to uBreakiFix which is an Apple Certified Repair store owned by Asurion and got a new OEM battery for it with a one year warranty. Doing just fine

I really don't see a need to deal with Apple itself much anymore

So I just purchased a ‘excellent quality’ used iPhone 6S Plus which I’ll receive next week. I’m planning on replacing the battery regardless of its health rating because soon (like next year) this iPhone will be considered ‘obsolete ‘ by Apple and the battery may no longer be available from them.

Question——
I’m going to mail in my iPhone to whoever to have the battery replaced.
I can mail it in to a nearby UBreakIFix store ——- or mail it into Apple.
What do you recommend????

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've used the Scottsdale Quarter store for battery replacements and new purchases many times. I've always had excellent service and was never treated poorly. They even replaced batteries that were indicating more than 80% (out of pocket) without fuss..
Interesting. The one I have a problem with is at Arrowhead Towne Center (Glendale). If I need something again, I may try the one in Scottsdale. Thanks!

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I just purchased a ‘excellent quality’ used iPhone 6S Plus which I’ll receive next week. I’m planning on replacing the battery regardless of its health rating because soon (like next year) this iPhone will be considered ‘obsolete ‘ by Apple and the battery may no longer be available from them.

Question——
I’m going to mail in my iPhone to whoever to have the battery replaced.
I can mail it in to a nearby UBreakIFix store ——- or mail it into Apple.
What do you recommend????
At this point, I'd go with uBreakiFix. If it was a newer phone model I'd probably say Apple, but assuming no issues in getting the battery replaced, you get a one year warranty with uBreakiFix. Apple only gives you 3 months I think. And uBreakiFix won't give you any hassle about what percentage the battery is.

PS. Over the years hear I've been pretty down on Asurion and Assurant. Both of those companies are what the carriers use for insurance repair/replacement. But uBreakiFix was a chain before Asurion bought them and so far I've had excellent service with them (twice!). They are a certified Apple Repair store - you can take your newer phones there for AC+ service. And they are backed by Asurion, which I would assume has the money to keep them stocked with everything they need. So far I've been impressed.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I had my OGSE’s battery replaced by Apple back in January 2023. I had to sign a waiver after diagnostics were carried out and was made aware that I would NOT be provided with another OGSE free of charge if my phone was damaged. They stated that I’d have to pay $299 for a like-for-like replacement.

I went ahead with the battery replacement anyway and things worked out perfectly for me so I never had to go down that route.

If Apple are happy to provide a free OGSE, I would go with that option if I were you, OP.

I imagine it might go state by state on what rights you can sign away but, then again, you might have to fight it in court. The only document I had to sign stated that I didn't hold them responsible for data loss (but I might have missed something in the fine print :) ).

I'll be happy if they find a replacement.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I imagine it might go state by state on what rights you can sign away but, then again, you might have to fight it in court. The only document I had to sign stated that I didn't hold them responsible for data loss (but I might have missed something in the fine print :) ).

I'll be happy if they find a replacement.
The phone was only a collector’s item for me anyway as it was an immaculate new OGSE with the original 2016 battery which required a replacement. I was never going to pay out of pocket for another phone given that my daily driver is a 13.

I would absolutely hold out for a replacement as you clearly have nothing to lose. You aren’t even being offered a discount for a new phone. I can imagine that they’ll have plenty old refurbished OGSEs in storage somewhere as it has only recently been relegated to a legacy device.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It ended up well. I went to the Apple store again today and they had received a similar SE (2016) replacement. The initial time I was there for the battery replacement, the people were generally friendly but seemed more interested in sales then helping me out. This time, the associates spent a bunch of time with me exchanging the dead phone with the replacement and were much more helpful. I guess it depends on when you go :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.