Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
So you honestly feel that this is not something Apple is going to be able to iron out or fix? How come I never noticed this in the past with any of my old iMacs? I have in the past 10 years had over 25 different Macs. I have had Mac Pros, iMacs, MBPs MBAs, etc... Never seen any of this until the 2013 iMacs...?

the moment apple sued samsung, any attempt at fixing this went straight out the window.

LG reserves the best panels for their TVs and own LCD line.
Samsung doesnt let anyone use their OLED screens and stopped making screens for apple many years ago.

it's not going to be fixed until LG starts selling oled panels to apple. which isnt going to happen for atleast another year from now.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
the moment apple sued samsung, any attempt at fixing this went straight out the window.

LG reserves the best panels for their TVs and own LCD line.
Samsung doesnt let anyone use their OLED screens and stopped making screens for apple many years ago.

it's not going to be fixed until LG starts selling oled panels to apple. which isnt going to happen for atleast another year from now.

Yikes, this doesn't sound good... Where I am still confused is that I don't hear more people complaining about this. Is it hit and miss, or is it happening on every single iMac? It should be happening on every single one according to what Apple is saying, calling it "normal". I can say it has happened on every single 2013 iMac that I have had.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
Yikes, this doesn't sound good... Where I am still confused is that I don't hear more people complaining about this. Is it hit and miss, or is it happening on every single iMac? It should be happening on every single one according to what Apple is saying, calling it "normal". I can say it has happened on every single 2013 iMac that I have had.

dude, it's not happening on every imac/mbp. that's just patently false.

apple says its normal because that's what companies do.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
dude, it's not happening on every imac/mbp. that's just patently false.

apple says its normal because that's what companies do.

Really...? Then I have that bad of luck. 4 different 2013 iMacs and every single one has had bad IR straight out of the box. What am I missing?

Guess I could try ONE more time...

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Really...? Then I have that bad of luck. 4 different 2013 iMacs and every single one has had bad IR straight out of the box. What am I missing?

Guess I could try ONE more time...

LOL, maybe not. i7s have slipped to 1-2 weeks. This tells me something is changing, or getting ready to. Don't know what, but something.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So you honestly feel that this is not something Apple is going to be able to iron out or fix? How come I never noticed this in the past with any of my old iMacs? I have in the past 10 years had over 25 different Macs. I have had Mac Pros, iMacs, MBPs MBAs, etc... Never seen any of this until the 2013 iMacs...?

Correct. Until IPS tech changes, this will continue to happen. It's happened on MacBook Pros (retina models), iMacs since years before the 2013 etc. Mac Pros can't have image retention. :D :D

And MBAs have crappy TN panels anyway, so it won't happen there.

Last edited:

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Correct. Until IPS tech changes, this will continue to happen. It's happened on MacBook Pros (retina models), iMacs since years before the 2013 etc. Mac Pros can't have image retention. :D :D

I am aware this does not happen with my MP as it is an ASUS monitor, was just stating I have had a LOT of Macs ;) Guess I could have left that detail out... Well I think I am just going to wait and see what happens in June because i7 models have slipped back to 1-2 weeks for CTO anyway. Something has to be going on.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
I am aware this does not happen with my MP as it is an ASUS monitor, was just stating I have had a LOT of Macs ;) Guess I could have left that detail out... Well I think I am just going to wait and see what happens in June because i7 models have slipped back to 1-2 weeks for CTO anyway. Something has to be going on.

apple is all about that profit margin.

that's why they don't buy the best screens from samsung and LG, that's why they used the m295x chips instead of the nvidia ones.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
apple is all about that profit margin.

that's why they don't buy the best screens from samsung and LG, that's why they used the m295x chips instead of the nvidia ones.

Okay, now you REALLY have me confused, because I have always thought that "Apple" displays looked amazing on their products. When I look at other monitors they seem to pale in comparison sharpness and detail wise. Now you tell me they are using cheap panels?!? :eek: I thought Apple was the company that did not cut corners on quality. At least they didn't when SJ was around... Why do I suddenly feel myself buying an ASUS machine?

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
Okay, now you REALLY have me confused, because I have always thought that "Apple" displays looked amazing on their products. When I look at other monitors they seem to pale in comparison sharpness and detail wise. Now you tell me they are using cheap panels?!? :eek: I thought Apple was the company that did not cut corners on quality. At least they didn't when SJ was around... Why do I suddenly feel myself buying an ASUS machine?

first, apple does not make displays, they buy them and fuse to glass panels themselves.

second, what you're describing is merely an artifact of utilizing glass vs matte finishing.

stop drinking the koolaid. I have my retina imac because it's 5k, and 21:9 does not interest me whatsoever. If it did, I would buy the LG34um95 because it offers superior overall performance in just about every single category. I'm positive that whatever comparable samsung screens do also.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
first, apple does not make displays, they buy them and fuse to glass panels themselves.

second, what you're describing is merely an artifact of utilizing glass vs matte finishing.

stop drinking the koolaid. I have my retina imac because it's 5k, and 21:9 does not interest me whatsoever. If it did, I would buy the LG34um95 because it offers superior overall performance in just about every single category. I'm positive that whatever comparable samsung screens do also.

I know Apple does not manufacture panels. Just figured they outsourced and only accepted the best by LG or in the past Samsung. Don't worry, no koolaid here. Apple has done numerous things to piss me off to no end. Not a blind sheep fanboy. Just a disappointed Apple user.

GingerPunk2

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Been pointed to this thread today as my late 2013 imac 27" has literally just started to display this image retention. I've been ******** bricks thinking I have to replace the screen.

At the moment it's only faint. But across the whole screen area. Only noticed on shutdown when I closed all my windows.

How bad does this get? Should I even bother replacing the screen? As all the comments here lead me to say no. And seriously, how can apple get away with this.

Luckily I work in audio mainly, but trying to watch a film or edits pictures on my machine now, will see me boil over with ocd rage.

I'm out of warranty too.

GingerPunk2

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Jeez. That's horrendous. It's so bad. I'm so not happy with Apple right now. But what can I do? I guess if I want the screen I thought I was getting, then I'll have to chuck another 500 quid at them. And even then it's a gamble.

I feel like I've been cheated out of a few grand. It's my money maker. And I couldn't afford a mac pro. How can they get away with something like this?

GingerPunk2

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Okay all,

Just got off of the phone with Apple. After explaining the problem, I was directed to an apple store (as usual). I then asked what can be done and explained the consistent issues these units are having, I mentioned the screens and tech that seem to cause these issues and asked if anything has changed, i.e new screens etc. She couldn't answer that one. I have been directed to the store to gain a hardware report of the fault.

Now this may be a saving grace for us in the UK. She said that if the report comes back as a hardware issue, then any customer that has bought any apple device directly from Apple can file a "consumer complaint suit" directly with them. I believe this is down to trading standards and devices being for purpose with reasonable life.

So after I have taken it in to the shop and got the report I can follow this up.

This could mean a free of charge fix or maybe even a replacement with a newer model, I don't know yet.

However if this issue is apparent with all imac then I am seriously considering pushing to get a refund, if that's even possible. And heading to a mac pro. But I highly doubt they'll allow that.

Does anyone know if it just the 2012/2013 models that show this issue or is it all imac now. Even the retina displays?

----------

Sorry it's called a consumer law claim here is a link

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/<br/>

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Okay all,

Just got off of the phone with Apple. After explaining the problem, I was directed to an apple store (as usual). I then asked what can be done and explained the consistent issues these units are having, I mentioned the screens and tech that seem to cause these issues and asked if anything has changed, i.e new screens etc. She couldn't answer that one. I have been directed to the store to gain a hardware report of the fault.

Now this may be a saving grace for us in the UK. She said that if the report comes back as a hardware issue, then any customer that has bought any apple device directly from Apple can file a "consumer complaint suit" directly with them. I believe this is down to trading standards and devices being for purpose with reasonable life.

So after I have taken it in to the shop and got the report I can follow this up.

This could mean a free of charge fix or maybe even a replacement with a newer model, I don't know yet.

However if this issue is apparent with all imac then I am seriously considering pushing to get a refund, if that's even possible. And heading to a mac pro. But I highly doubt they'll allow that.

Does anyone know if it just the 2012/2013 models that show this issue or is it all imac now. Even the retina displays?

----------

Sorry it's called a consumer law claim here is a link

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/<br/>

Do a Google search my friend. Even people with the new 5k models are reporting the issue. So I would say it is all iMacs.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Yeah these forums have driven me nuts with searching for issues. I have to tell myself to stop looking for trouble lol!

The TLC vs MLC flash memory iPhone 6 thing and the iPad Air 2 screen distortion being the worse of them all.

I suspect that IR gets through QC because it's probably unnoticeable under normal usage(Which are half the issues on forum are about. You'd have to use the device in some unrealistic fashion to see the "issues") for all but the most extreme cases.(Plus the fact that for many IR doesn't show until much later)

If I went looking for every difference in manufacturer for every component in my devices because of these forums I'd go mad.

Last edited:

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
The TLC vs MLC flash memory iPhone 6 thing and the iPad Air 2 screen distortion being the worse of them all.

I suspect that IR gets through QC because it's probably unnoticeable under normal usage(Which are half the issues on forum are about. You'd have to use the device in some unrealistic fashion to see the "issues") for all but the most extreme cases.(Plus the fact that for many IR doesn't show until much later)

If I went looking for every difference in manufacturer for every component in my devices because of these forums I'd go mad.

You are sorely wrong my friend. You do NOT have to use your iMac in an "unrealistic fashion" to see these "issues". I had 2 brand new 27" iMacs do it straight out of the box. There is nothing "extreme" needed to see it happen. Simply turn your brightness to max, turn off the screen saver and sleep, and load checkerboard pattern for 10 minutes. This is NOT extreme or "normal" behavior. This should NOT be happening, PERIOD. You cannot tell customers to turn on their screensaver and dim their desktops, THAT is unreasonable! To say that it doesn't happen under "normal" usage is misleading. I first noticed the issue by simply working in Logic Pro for about an hour. When I closed Logic I saw a ghost of its image left on my desktop wallpaper, which at the time was a shade of gray (the easiest color to see the issue). This machine was brand new, not old, not aged, not broken. So to come on here telling people that they have to use their machines in some unrealistic fashion to notice the issue is just wrong... Do you work for the Apple police by any chance?

Reactions: macmee

GingerPunk2

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
What's an unrealistic fashion too? I work all day on my machine, flipping between several apps and when this issue first manifested for me was after 30 minutes of email. Imac was on for a mere 2 hours prior to that. Brightness on halfway and screensaver set normally etc. Happened out the blue.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I realize that most people will never run the checkerboard test on their Macs because ignorance is bliss. Nonetheless the issue remains.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
You are sorely wrong my friend. You do NOT have to use your iMac in an "unrealistic fashion" to see these "issues". I had 2 brand new 27" iMacs do it straight out of the box. There is nothing "extreme" needed to see it happen. Simply turn your brightness to max, turn off the screen saver and sleep, and load checkerboard pattern for 10 minutes. This is NOT extreme or "normal" behavior. This should NOT be happening, PERIOD. You cannot tell customers to turn on their screensaver and dim their desktops, THAT is unreasonable! To say that it doesn't happen under "normal" usage is misleading. I first noticed the issue by simply working in Logic Pro for about an hour. When I closed Logic I saw a ghost of its image left on my desktop wallpaper, which at the time was a shade of gray (the easiest color to see the issue). This machine was brand new, not old, not aged, not broken. So to come on here telling people that they have to use their machines in some unrealistic fashion to notice the issue is just wrong... Do you work for the Apple police by any chance?

What's an unrealistic fashion too? I work all day on my machine, flipping between several apps and when this issue first manifested for me was after 30 minutes of email. Imac was on for a mere 2 hours prior to that. Brightness on halfway and screensaver set normally etc. Happened out the blue.

Re-read my post. I stated that half the issues come from using the devices in question in unrealistic fashion, such as needing to press the back side of an iPad Air 2 unnecessarily hard to see the screen distortion issue. I wasn't specifically talking about IR, but issues in general that are widespread on the forum. If you are seeing this under normal, it's clearly a problem and not who I was talking about. A checker board is an unrealistic fashion, because I can't think of anyone who is constantly putting checker boards on their screen.

Try reading comprehension before you get butt hurt. The fact that I said half the issues and you still came to the conclusion that I was specifically talking about you guys who reported problems already shows this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.