Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rraynor1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Check out the Retroactive app. It lets you run Aperture, iPhoto, or iTunes on macOS Catalina.
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive

Retroactive app:
retroactive.png

Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes 12, and iTunes 10 on macOS Catalina:
apps.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Error on installing iTunes 12.9: "There isn't enough free space to install iTunes"

itunes.jpg

At least 20GB?!? Is the app trying to install Mojave?

Reactions: MBAir2010

rraynor1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Error on installing iTunes 12.9: "There isn't enough free space to install iTunes"

View attachment 872989

At least 20GB?!? Is the app trying to install Mojave?

Because iTunes 12.9.5 is not available as a separate download, Retroactive needs to download the full macOS Mojave installer to a cache folder to extract and install iTunes 12.9.5. Later, macOS will automatically clean up the cache folder.

If your disk space is limited, you can install iTunes 12.6.5 instead. It will be much quicker and only requires 2 GB.

(Check out Retroactive's About window and Credits page. Both link to your original post.)

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Because iTunes 12.9.5 is not available as a separate download, Retroactive needs to download the macOS Mojave installer to extract and install iTunes 12.9.5.

iTunes 12.9.5 can be extracted from the macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update, it's only 2.5GB https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001

If your disk space is limited, you can always install iTunes 12.6.5 instead. It will be much quicker and only requires 2 GB.

2GB to install iTunes 12.6.5 ?!? It's still available from Apple and only 316MB https://support.apple.com/HT208079

Reactions: MBAir2010

David403

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
USA
rraynor1980, is there a way to get Aperture to receive photos from my iPhone through PhotoStream. When I go to preferences in Aperture, select iCloud and click the checkmark on 'My Photo Stream' it says "To use iCloud Photos, you must be signed into your iCloud account in System Preferences". I am signed in. The checkmark on My Photo Stream does not 'stick' ???

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
(Check out Retroactive's About window and Credits page. Both link to your original post.)
I've noticed, thanks for the credits. The scripts I posted on this forum can be considered in the public domain, so anyone can use them freely.
The point was Retroactive is doing something wrong if it needs so much space to install iTunes. At least it should warn users about downloading large files. Some have data caps and use iTunes 12.6 to avoid downloading apps multiple times.
Another suggestion for Retroactive is to include Java https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...sion-for-macos-catalina.2195954/post-27873682 It's a small download and easy installation.

Reactions: B4U and rraynor1980

rraynor1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
rraynor1980, is there a way to get Aperture to receive photos from my iPhone through PhotoStream. When I go to preferences in Aperture, select iCloud and click the checkmark on 'My Photo Stream' it says "To use iCloud Photos, you must be signed into your iCloud account in System Preferences". I am signed in. The checkmark on My Photo Stream does not 'stick' ???
You raised a good point. This is a known limitation because Retroactive applies ad-hoc signing after modifying Aperture. If I find a good solution to this, I will keep you posted.

I've noticed, thanks for the credits. The scripts I posted on this forum can be considered in the public domain, so anyone can use them freely.
The point was Retroactive is doing something wrong if it needs so much space to install iTunes. At least it should warn users about downloading large files. Some have data caps and use iTunes 12.6 to avoid downloading apps multiple times.
Another suggestion for Retroactive is to include Java https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...sion-for-macos-catalina.2195954/post-27873682 It's a small download and easy installation.
Data cap warning, reducing storage requirements, adding Java 6 runtime. Thank you for these very good suggestions!
Finally, the quoted space requirement in Retroactive is an over-estimation of what is actually required. The actual requirements are much smaller:
- iTunes 12.9: 5.54 GB (download), 8,24 GB (installing), 188 MB (installed)
- iTunes 12.6.5: 315.8 MB (download), 799.8 MB (installing), 315.9 MB (installed)
- iTunes 11.7: 165 MB (download), 585.9 MB (installing), 257 MB (installed)

iTunes 12.9.5 can be extracted from the macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update, it's only 2.5GB https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001

iTunes 12.9.5 from the macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update is incomplete (135.1 MB) and will crash on launch, where iTunes 12.9.5 from the full installer of macOS Mojave 10.14.6 is complete (188 MB).

Last edited:

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
Installing iTunes like this works flawless however I can't drag any playlists from my library to the iPhone in iTunes now, is there a magic trick to enable this?

I tend to remove playlists from my library after a while but I don't want them to disappear from my iPhone as well so syncing the Catalina way is a no-go for me unfortunately.

tghuguenin

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
someone please help, I have an ipod classic 5th gen running ipod software 1.3 (after a restore). Installed iTunes 12.9.5.5 with retroactive. Wouldn't connect with my ipod after that, said needed restore. iTunes ran into some unknown error trying to restore it but I was able to restore using Finder. However, while Finder will sync with the ipod, iTunes won't open it. Says "The iPod “iPod” is in use by another user on this computer." The podcasts/music apps are garbage and I desperately want to sync my ipod with music and podcasts via iTunes (especially now that my iPod is empty and I need to put my stuff back on it the way I had it!). PLEASE HELP me because I listen to podcasts a lot with my ipod and used iTunes to constantly manage it and the new podcast app is so horrible

smokerz

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Detroit
iTunes 12.6.5 used so user can control Apps does work using RetroActive but if you want to sync say an iPhone the initial sync will fail eventually and after that iPhone will never mount to be seen on iTunes 12.6.5 So yes user can do music etc but sync forget it.

rraynor1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
iTunes 12.6.5 used so user can control Apps does work using RetroActive but if you want to sync say an iPhone the initial sync will fail eventually and after that iPhone will never mount to be seen on iTunes 12.6.5 So yes user can do music etc but sync forget it.

You can run killall AMPDevicesAgent in Terminal, then sync your iPhone. You can also AirDrop an IPA from Finder onto your iPhone.

billd6

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Check out the Retroactive app. It lets you run Aperture, iPhoto, or iTunes on macOS Catalina.
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive

Retroactive app:
View attachment 872961

Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes 12, and iTunes 10 on macOS Catalina:
View attachment 872962
I downloaded and installed Retroactive 1.5 - I'm running OS X 10.15.3 - I told Retroactive to download iTunes - when I tried to run iTunes, I got the following message - The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?" My options are Quit and Download iTunes - when I click on download it takes me to the App Store but there is no iTunes update available. What am I doing wrong??

rraynor1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
I downloaded and installed Retroactive 1.5 - I'm running OS X 10.15.3 - I told Retroactive to download iTunes - when I tried to run iTunes, I got the following message - The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?" My options are Quit and Download iTunes - when I click on download it takes me to the App Store but there is no iTunes update available. What am I doing wrong??
Hold down the option key on your keyboard and open iTunes from Launchpad, Retroactive, or Finder. iTunes will ask you to "Choose iTunes Library". Choose "Create Library...", and create a new iTunes library.

75851680-33e43b00-5d9f-11ea-827c-a042921b951d.png

Reactions: ElectronGuru

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
Can you use this app to restore album artwork and THEN have the same artwork show up in the Music app? I have been able to use "Get Album Artwork" to restore artwork in iTunes. But then when I open up the Music app, it's still not there.

Also this developer of Retroactive is a hero! :)

Reactions: ElectronGuru

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Can you use this app to restore album artwork and THEN have the same artwork show up in the Music app? I have been able to use "Get Album Artwork" to restore artwork in iTunes. But then when I open up the Music app, it's still not there.

Yes, that developer is a good soul. Has helped a lot of people make the transition begrudgingly at their own pace.

Reactions: sevenseconds

PencilNotPen

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2020
Hi! Is it possible for Retroactive to give iTunes back control of launching via the keyboard Media keys as part of installation? Pressing play/pause on the keyboard launches the Music app, even after installing iTunes. Failing that, does anyone know how to do this without Retroactive?

Tried Media Keys Enabler but doesn't work (at least on Big Sur), still uses Music.

The media keys work to control iTunes when it is open and playing, but do not launch the program instead of Music. Was hoping by installing iTunes to completely disable Music, including for Play/Pause launching, and device syncing.

Thanks!

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020

Edit: wrong post

Last edited:

ehmjay

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
So I just installed iTunes using Retroactive, which is AMAZING.

However because I was on a new machine that only ever had Music.app the iTunes Library is completely empty. I suspect there's nothing I can do to fix this? No way to move things over from Music.app to iTunes?

(Man, I hate Music.app so very much!)

Reactions: B4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.