Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I need to check out the Steam Deck. Will it play something like Cyberpunk 2077? ;)

I looked into it, and it does! Supposedly it struggles a bit at higher settings, but on medium settings it runs fine, and on the smallish screen the quality doesn't suffer too much. :)

Reactions: Huntn

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
So gaming will turn you to the dark side. This was me 25 years ago. I like the MacOS, but could not remain solely in it’s gaming straight jacket. :)
Nah, I’ve always had PCs since the 80s but in the last 3-4 years have been mac only at home as I love OSX and loathe windows (but make my living as a win/linux sysadmin (so i know how crap windows is!))

• Haha
Reactions: Mattewes

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Are the original games avail on Mac or iPad?
When you say original I assume you mean MI 1+2? Then yes, but classic Macintosh as they were released in the 90s. IIRC correctly Escape from MI was on Mac as well, but that was it. Later along came the remakes for iOS.

Just a few more days... :D

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Is it Intel-only? I read somewhere that the requirements section is not correct.
It certainly runs well on AS with highest settings for me. I'll have to check if that's AS native or via Rosetta.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Sorry for the late reply, got distracted by other things.
Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 19.43.16.png

Took me under 10 hours to complete this on hard settings. And while it brings back memories I'm excited and disappointed at the same time. The puzzles are easy, dull and not in line with what we got 30 years ago. I've noticed this on Thimbleweed Park as well. It doesn't make it a bad game, it's still good, but simply doesn't live up to expectations. Puzzles are plain obvious and whenever there's a problem, it's already clear how to solve it. And in the few cases when it's not, it's back to revisiting all locations because something changed somewhere and as soon as one enters that changes scene it's obvious again how to solve the problem. Also, it suffers the same "ending problem" that Thimbleweed did. So is it worth to play through it? Absolutely. Is it the MI game that will finally make things right after MI2? Probably not. I doubt it's the last we've seen from MI though.

• Love
Reactions: Meuti and Huntn

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The App Store does not do this either.
Which is also bad. With the Mac App Store you can at least be sure there is an ARM version when the last update is not too long ago, though I can't remember when exactly Apple started requiring "Apple Silicon" submissions to the App Store.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Which is also bad. With the Mac App Store you can at least be sure there is an ARM version when the last update is not too long ago, though I can't remember when exactly Apple started requiring "Apple Silicon" submissions to the App Store.

I believe that Apple Silicon is not mandatory for App Store submissions yet. I have not found any announcements.

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
All I can say is that Return to Monkey Island was a big disappointment. Just because newer generations might find it cute or even good relatively to the huge and boring trash people play these days, it doesn't mean that it is not a let down for people fortunate enough to game in the 80s and 90s. The first 3 adventures were legendary and iconic; it is sad that the original team never found out about their impact for years. And it is even more unfortunate that they are now basing their design decisions on feedback from NG gamers who won't even care or remember after a couple of months.

I didn't fancy the NG graphics, I didn't like the UI, I found the music meh but it was the mediocre plot, the voices (with few exceptions), the uninspiring (new and old) characters and the lack of development, the unfunny dialogues, the overdone nostalgia and need to explain everything, the evident fear not to insult any social group and the overcommitment to make everything (too) "balanced" demographically, the empty places/islands/screens and the lack of interaction there, the mediocre cut scenes, etc that I hated most.

LeChuck could be done much better, Elaine was always dependable, smart, witty, and understanding in the series but _too_ understanding and boringly cute here, Wally felt like a robot, Carla was too busy, Murray was underused, Stan, Otis and Voodoo Lady had their moments, etc. The game didn't make me grow attached to or even care about most of the newly introduced characters.

There were a couple of good ideas and moments, some good puzzles, some level of non-linearity but there were even more missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Meuti

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
All I can say is that Return to Monkey Island was a big disappointment. Just because newer generations might find it cute or even good relatively to the huge and boring trash people play these days, it doesn't mean that it is not a let down for people fortunate enough to game in the 80s and 90s. The first 3 adventures were legendary and iconic; it is sad that the original team never found out about their impact for years. And it is even more unfortunate that they are now basing their design decisions on feedback from NG gamers who won't even care or remember after a couple of months.

I didn't fancy the NG graphics, I didn't like the UI, I found the music meh but it was the mediocre plot, the voices (with few exceptions), the uninspiring (new and old) characters and the lack of development, the unfunny dialogues, the overdone nostalgia and need to explain everything, the evident fear not to insult any social group and make everything (too) "balanced" demographically, the empty places/islands/screens and the lack of interaction there, the mediocre cut scenes, etc that I hated most.

LeChuck could be done much better, Elaine was always dependable, smart, and understanding in the series but _too_ understanding and cute here, Wally felt like a robot, Carla was too busy, Murray was underused, Stan, Otis and Voodoo Lady had their moments, etc. The game didn't make me grow attached to or even care about most of the newly introduced characters.

There were a couple of good ideas and moments, some good puzzles, some level of non-linearity but they were even more missed opportunities.
Still playing, 17 hours in, work of art, hope theres more to come.

Reactions: Meuti

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
How does it perform? I've got an M1 Mac mini with 8GB of RAM and wanted to know if it runs well and is worth picking up?

Reactions: potatis

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The game is now available on gog.com also and is in fact a universal app (Intel x86_64 and Apple Silicon).

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 07.44.55.png

Reactions: Fred Zed

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
The game is now available on gog.com also and is in fact a universal app (Intel x86_64 and Apple Silicon).
It's been a universal binary for a while, still doesn't work though. I'd assume the gog and steam versions are identical. Here's the latest update running via Steam:
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 19.03.40.png

Despite being a universal binary, still only runs Intel version via Rosetta 2. 🤷‍♂️
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 19.08.39.png

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Probably Steam, being the mess it is, it's launching the Intel version. You can launch the game in Finder directly and it will be running natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.