Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I was looking forward to the OLED screen. What a huge disappointment! The function keys on the new keyboard are much appreciated. I returned both. Hopefully, Apple will make more significant changes like adding MAC OS.
You are going to have a loooooooooooong wait for MacOS arent you.

Why do people keep banging on about having MacOS on an iPad. The MacBook exists if you want a MacOS machine.

BarlesCharkley

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2016
I’m in the same boat as the OP. Returned this afternoon. I thought I would notice a larger difference coming from a M1 Air, but in the end the upgrades weren’t noticeable enough to justify the upgrade… for my specific use case at least.

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
I’m coming from an iPad Pro 2021. Like you I was very much on the fence after receiving it. Honestly, I can’t tell the difference between the screens. I thought the miniLED was awesome. The blooming was never a problem for me. But I’m keeping the M4 and giving the M1 to my son. The battery on my M1 was down to 88% so there was a replacement in the future at some point. But I was really happy with it. On the other hand, the new keyboard is even better than the old one which I liked a lot.

it is expensive, but I plan on keeping it for a long time. I’m hoping that the AI enhancements coming in the fall will run smoothly on the new machine.

I actually like the iPadOS. Focusing on one app at a time is not a problem for me.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I do find it funny that a lot of people are buying the M4 and "banking" on some huge improvements around AI. Come on, it's not like AI on the previous chips is going to suddenly not work. They've got the same neural core in the M3 M2 and M1. Yes the M4 is an improvement (in numbers) but it's not going to be earth-shattering.

Reactions: Siliconguy

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
There is NO way to justify the new iPad Pro if you have any of the new shape since the M1.

Let’s be totally clear - you don’t need the M4 - it’s an iPad and the M1 can do everything it does.

I’ve spent over £2000 on a Nano 1TB M4. Yes, it’s super thin. Yes, the new Magic Keyboard is much better. Maybe, just maybe you might find the OLED better. Maybe, you might prefer the nano display…

BUT unless Apple give us some mind blowing software change only available on the M4 then no one needs to upgrade. FACT.

DON’T try and justify the spending on a new IPad by listing the ‘improvements’

You all bought one because you want the latest, best iPad. That’s all.

Me too.

(the only exception to this is if you did not have an IPad pro before, then yes you can justify it if you wanted an iPad with the best specs).

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
just get the cheapest iPad with 8gb ram and 256 ssd

it has been proven that getting all the extras only nets you a 5 percent performance boost

hopefully they will put some sort of macOS on the iPad. iPad os is so limiting and the biggest disappointment in spending money on a new iPad in my opinion.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
After all the hype and honeymoon is over, I'm expecting lots of open box iPads to be returned once people realize that they just got ripped off on a product with very little improvement.
lol could be me by tonight.
Base 11" and keyboard arriving today, for $2KAUD EDU price it better blow my M1 11" away or will be going back.
Got suckered into the 12.9" mini led when came out, did keep it for a year, lucky got good $$ back and bought a 11" again.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Translation, they had no intention of keeping it, was just renting it to post something like this.
You don't spend $1,300+ unless you have a good idea of what you are getting.
Did you really just say “they bought a $1300 device just to make a post on a forum” in all seriousness? Wow. There’s that. Orrrrr they’re coming from a mini led ipad and the differences are small enough that they returned it.

What’s next? “He bought a $200,000 lambo just to make a post online saying he didn’t like it” 😂 there’s cheaper ways to post online

Reactions: klasma

Snoggin

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
There is NO way to justify the new iPad Pro if you have any of the new shape since the M1.

Let’s be totally clear - you don’t need the M4 - it’s an iPad and the M1 can do everything it does.

I’ve spent over £2000 on a Nano 1TB M4. Yes, it’s super thin. Yes, the new Magic Keyboard is much better. Maybe, just maybe you might find the OLED better. Maybe, you might prefer the nano display…

BUT unless Apple give us some mind blowing software change only available on the M4 then no one needs to upgrade. FACT.

DON’T try and justify the spending on a new IPad by listing the ‘improvements’

You all bought one because you want the latest, best iPad. That’s all.

Me too.

(the only exception to this is if you did not have an IPad pro before, then yes you can justify it if you wanted an iPad with the best specs).
LOL I came from an IPad Pro Gen 1. 9 years old Still use it. I ordered a Nano 2 tb but also went down and got a standard glass version at the Apple Store .. Going to use both and return one.. Video editing 4k is something I do a lot of. DaVinci Resolve for IPad seems pretty fully functional but Ill have to see.. Im thinking the Nano will be the one. Also use the iPad to run live sound at gigs. So Nano will be nice outdoors

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Including the standard cover there is no difference in weight at all - or I need to ditch my digital kitchen scale.
I think its more that its better balanced. I notice my M2 vs my wifes M4 that just flat in the hand they feel about the same, but the M4 feel better balanced when using one handed and FEELS lighter than it is.

Reactions: axantas

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Did you really just say “they bought a $1300 device just to make a post on a forum” in all seriousness? Wow. There’s that. Orrrrr they’re coming from a mini led ipad and the differences are small enough that they returned it.

What’s next? “He bought a $200,000 lambo just to make a post online saying he didn’t like it” 😂 there’s cheaper ways to post online
I would love to see OP post some pics, before I believe it. Why would you throw in a OLED excuse for saying it doesn’t run Mac OS. Some thing doesn’t add up. It’s not hard to claim some one bought a 200k car with out pics.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I’m about to return the 1TB M4 iPad I bought for my mother too. 1 hour trying to get it to verify her Apple ID, and another 1-2 hours of trying to help her over the phone. It’s provided nothing but unhappiness. I can’t believe apple after all these years and product releases still makes it so damn hard for their customers to upgrade a device. It’s just unbelievable how stupid the migration process is. Had to erase and start the device over probably 20 times and still no dice. What a purchasing experience. Apple I am very disappointed in you all!

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
That discussion has been ongoing for years; it is neither novel nor insightful at this juncture to point out that the iPad is overpowered for the software it runs. Literally every single reviewer has been making that point since M1 came to the iPad, and they‘re always imploring Apple to either port macOS or “more pro apps” to the iPad to take more advantage of the hardware.

I’m sure it’s a great podcast but I’ve heard the discussion so many times now that, even though there’s truth in it, it’s a little boring.
I've been pushing it to the graphically OLED and computational limit playing Divinity 2 - Original Sin.

Like, I understand that most people don't need the power of the M4, but to say there's no software out there to push the tech is also not true.

And it's super cool to play this game on the thinness of the iPad Pro. As an avid PC gamer for decades, with a 4080 GPU Desktop at home, the tactile and mobile experience on such a quality RPG game on this new iPad is top-notch.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I would love to see OP post some pics, before I believe it. Why would you throw in a OLED excuse for saying it doesn’t run Mac OS. Some thing doesn’t add up. It’s not hard to claim some one bought a 200k car with out pics.
Post pics because…? Dudes not on trial here. A person saying they weren’t happy with a product and returned it isn’t exactly some wild claim that requires proof.

People here were saying the same thing about people returning their Apple Vision Pros and it was such a cringey argument. “You didn’t even buy it!” Or “you bought it just to return it for clicks!” Or…they just had issues and returned the product. Like a lot of people do 🤷‍♂️

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Post pics because…? Dudes not on trial here. A person saying they weren’t happy with a product and returned it isn’t exactly some wild claim that requires proof.

People here were saying the same thing about people returning their Apple Vision Pros and it was such a cringey argument. “You didn’t even buy it!” Or “you bought it just to return it for clicks!” Or…they just had issues and returned the product. Like a lot of people do 🤷‍♂️
Funny you questioned someone else with out any proof. It’s all opinions, the post you replied above could be the truth. No need to get all upset on anonymous opinions. That’s why most vendors have verified reviews. I trust verified reviews or reviewers who can provide detailed information/pics rather than making some disjointed statements. If you buy from Amazon or other places with out verified or legit reviews, more power to you.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Funny you questioned someone else with out any proof. It’s all opinions, the post you replied above could be the truth. No need to get all upset on anonymous opinions. That’s why most vendors have verified reviews. I trust verified reviews or reviewers who can provide detailed information/pics rather than making some disjointed statements. If you buy from Amazon or other places with out verified or legit reviews, more power to you.
Positive review: never demand proof
Negative review: I demand proof I don’t believe anything you’re all haters

The internet is a beautiful place

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Positive review: never demand proof
Negative review: I demand proof I don’t believe anything you’re all haters

The internet is a beautiful place
Make baseless assumptions about others, internet is a beautiful place. I am out of here, it’s not that serious to be triggered about some one doubting a review.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I’m about to return the 1TB M4 iPad I bought for my mother too. 1 hour trying to get it to verify her Apple ID, and another 1-2 hours of trying to help her over the phone. It’s provided nothing but unhappiness. I can’t believe apple after all these years and product releases still makes it so damn hard for their customers to upgrade a device. It’s just unbelievable how stupid the migration process is. Had to erase and start the device over probably 20 times and still no dice. What a purchasing experience. Apple I am very disappointed in you all!
Were you restoring from iCloud? Or device to device? Never had issue before, wonder if it’s new to M4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.