Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
But disappointed really, spoke to an apple sales agent online to confirm my trade in value for my 11 pro max and made it clear to the sales team it was not an apple battery, but a 3rd party, they explained that was not an issue.

Anyhow my iPhone 15 pro max turns up, start getting comfortable with and then my trade in value email gets confirmed for £0 for having a non apple battery.

It was more principle that I didn’t want to pay out an extra £250 on a phone that was already £50 per month, I didn’t see the value and felt I’d been honest with apple and a reduction in price I’d understand, but to be offered £0 was a shock.

I hope maybe I’ll return to apple on the 16 pro max, but at £1199 here in the UK it’s a steep ask.

Before anyone mentions why don’t you get the 15 or no pro models, because no 120hz screen and the battery life and camera are key things for me on a phone, and I can get this done with a pixel 8 pro with a good reduction discount or similar android device.

Ah well, sorry you won’t get the minutes wasted reading this back.
The Terms and Conditions are clear ahead of time and are set by the company, not some individual rep who is likely ill informed or does not care.

Read the T&C’s, don’t blame others.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
If you have the option, redo this transaction at an Apple store. I've traded many at the store ( never through mail and in the US ) and all that was checked for was a cracked screen ( sometimes not even that ) the fact it turned on and 'find my' was (or could be) disabled. That's it!

And, instant trade in (full, as stated) applied towards the new device.

Androiduser1

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2023
I should have sold the phone privately, just as an online sale and the Apple interest free it was easier at the time to try it online.

Thanks for everyone’s advice though.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Androiduser1

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2023
You’re an adult: everybody knows these things are typically arranged via formal T&C’s. Read them.
Have you genuinely read the full terms and conditions of iTunes and its 30 odd pages?

I was also sold the phone by an adult who was deemed a professional.

If I had done this in my line of work and mis-sold something I’d be fully accountable.

Especially with the conversation proof and print screen.

Reactions: 3530025

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
Have you genuinely read the full terms and conditions of iTunes and its 30 odd pages?

I was also sold the phone by an adult who was deemed a professional.

If I had done this in my line of work and mis-sold something I’d be fully accountable.

Especially with the conversation proof and print screen.
What can I say: you had the full ability to be informed and make a conscious decision. If you found that to onerous, that is on you and no one else. People make mistakes, never rely only on what people tell you.

Do with that what you will.

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I had this exact thing happen to me at launch. I traded in a phone online that should have been worth the full trade in, then it was valued at 0. Here’s what I did:

Return the new phone as soon as possible.
Go do a trade in IN STORE. They’ll have a way to test your device before you commit to the purchase. If it passes, it’ll be worth the trade in value and it’s locked in, allowing you to purchase the phone in person. If it doesn’t pass, you’ll know in the moment and not have to deal with having to return anything and you can come up with a new plan.

Androiduser1

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2023
I had this exact thing happen to me at launch. I traded in a phone online that should have been worth the full trade in, then it was valued at 0. Here’s what I did:

Return the new phone as soon as possible.
Go do a trade in IN STORE. They’ll have a way to test your device before you commit to the purchase. If it passes, it’ll be worth the trade in value and it’s locked in, allowing you to purchase the phone in person. If it doesn’t pass, you’ll know in the moment and not have to deal with having to return anything and you can come up with a new plan.
Why was yours valued at £0? :)

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Why was yours valued at £0? :)
I had a tiny crack in the bezel that, based on the requirements of the carrier deal I was using, SHOULDN’T have affected the trade in value. And in person, it didn’t. At the Apple Store they scanned my device, noticed the crack, but it was minor enough that it didn’t affect the carrier deal. However when sent in online, they marked it as having a “Broken Chinplate” (which is a MacBook part, not an iPhone part) and gave me $0. Getting it back and re-purchasing my phone in store was a huge headache but went relatively smoothly - I’m now typing this on a mostly paid off 15 Pro Max :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, the Battery Health section will tell you the battery is not recognized and block you from going into the Battery Health overview, like where you can see the wear level etc.
We are are arguing the definition of the word 'mod' and I happen to hold a different definition.

• Angry

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
kids in the comments who don’t know what a mod actually is gonna drive everyone insane
Not exactly sure which side of it you're on, but it seems to me that there is a certain vitriol over third party parts that is very much like the vitriol over jailbreaking.

I.e., people get mad when you do something Apple says they don't like.

Reactions: dk001

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Not exactly sure which side of it you're on, but it seems to me that there is a certain vitriol over third party parts that is very much like the vitriol over jailbreaking.

I.e., people get mad when you do something Apple says they don't like.

yes, i assume they think replacing the batteries in a remote is also a modification because they are dictionary doting dullards with no real world experience

doesitmatter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
I trade in my 13 Pro Max with Apple. From my understanding, if you received a lower revised trade-in value, you may reject it and have the device be returned to you.

It is stated in their terms.

Reactions: MagicBird

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
We are are arguing the definition of the word 'mod' and I happen to hold a different definition.

Your opinion isn’t legally binding. Every company has their own term. I don’t like the fact battery is considered a mod, but that’s Apple’s interpretation and defined clearly. You play by their terms and conditions, or chose not to buy if it isn’t acceptable.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I always trade in person at Apple Store, or sell it on Craigslist:FB market place for cash. I personally wouldn’t have sent a phone, which fits the definition of mod. Apple, Verizon, T Mobile and other carriers use third party services.if you have a phone with visible cracks, modded batterg, other issues, trading online is a gamble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.