Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I always trade in person at Apple Store, or sell it on Craigslist:FB market place for cash. I personally wouldn’t have sent a phone, which fits the definition of mod. Apple, Verizon, T Mobile and other carriers use third party services.if you have a phone with visible cracks, modded batterg, other issues, trading online is a gamble.
i changed states recently and had trade in processed at 2 apple stores.
Old state: visual check, pics and that is it.
New state: all above + waiting for apple scan tool to verify all oem battery and screens on the handheld.
To be fair there was 1 year gap between the two, so maybe they did change procedures.

So in this case 3rd party battery wouldn’t fly with in store trade in.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
i changed states recently and had trade in processed at 2 apple stores.
Old state: visual check, pics and that is it.
New state: all above + waiting for apple scan tool to verify all oem battery and screens on the handheld.
To be fair there was 1 year gap between the two, so maybe they did change procedures.

So in this case 3rd party battery wouldn’t fly with in store trade in.
Yep. Third party battery won’t, even if it did, it’s probably very lucky.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Everyone is different, but your story is one of the main reasons I do not trade in devices or chase promos. I'm just not interested enough to battle Apple or my carrier for what I was told I'd get.
It depends. I traded in a 13 Pro Max with two cracks in the screen (normally I just sell on Swappa--but not with chips in both the front screen and back glass panel) and got a 15 Plus for $2 a month. But I also had them document everything in person at the Verizon store. Then when I went back to the same store to turn it in, I manually verified everything again with them--including the glass chips in the screen. So that worked great. But you definitely have to babysit the process and you can't do that over the internet.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your opinion isn’t legally binding. Every company has their own term. I don’t like the fact battery is considered a mod, but that’s Apple’s interpretation and defined clearly. You play by their terms and conditions, or chose not to buy if it isn’t acceptable.
Yeah, I already said all that. I'm not arguing about Apple and my opinion. I am arguing about the definition of the word 'mod' specifically in this thread. Because Apple may use the word 'mod' to mean 'third party parts', @thelookingglass believes that you have a modified device.

But if we use the logic that a third party battery is a modification of a device, then we have to also say that replacing the batteries in our other devices (such as a remote control) is also a modification.

But that isn't how most people understand the word 'mod'.

Reactions: dk001

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Yeah, I already said all that. I'm not arguing about Apple and my opinion. I am arguing about the definition of the word 'mod' specifically in this thread. Because Apple may use the word 'mod' to mean 'third party parts', @thelookingglass believes that you have a modified device.

But if we use the logic that a third party battery is a modification of a device, then we have to also say that replacing the batteries in our other devices (such as a remote control) is also a modification.

But that isn't how most people understand the word 'mod'.
Why would you say that to non Apple or other devices? I am not going to walk in to Tesla service center with a Toyota or BMW service terms or conditions, and ask them to follow the other vendors interpretation. As @eltoslightfoot mentioned, I baby sit my returns if there is a slight doubt. I traded a 7+ with Apple, paid the difference for 13 PM. Apple offered more during a promotion, and it was better than market place. In the end, what I think or any one thinks isn’t relevant, it’s the game you play with Apple trade in policies.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why would you say that to non Apple or other devices?
Exactly. You don't modify your remote control every time you replace the batteries. That is not the generally understood definition of the word 'mod'.

In it's documentation, Apple may use the word 'mod'. But most people do not think that by replacing a battery in an iPhone with a third party battery that you have 'modified' the device. Apple does. But I am questioning the use of the word here in this thread because that's not how most people understand the word.

That is all I am arguing.

I am not going to walk in to Tesla service center with a Toyota or BMW service terms or conditions, and ask them to follow the other vendors interpretation.
Right. Neither am I. If I wish to deal with Apple, then I deal with Apple on their terms. However, if I replace a battery on a car under warranty with a third party battery, does that mean my car dealership has the right to deny me warranty service because I 'modified' my car with a third party battery?

Maybe in some places and with some more expensive vehicles it does, but not in most places and with most cars in the US.

As @eltoslightfoot mentioned, I baby sit my returns if there is a slight doubt. I traded a 7+ with Apple, paid the difference for 13 PM. Apple offered more during a promotion, and it was better than market place. In the end, what I think or any one thinks isn’t relevant, it’s the game you play with Apple trade in policies.
I babysat the one trade-in I made in 2015. T-Mobile saw my device as having arrived at the warehouse but because it was 'not checked in' they would not give me the trade-in credit. A few days of my routinely visiting my local carrier store and they realized I wouldn't go away, so they got someone on the phone to authorize my credit.

I played their game, if I deal with Apple I play Apple's game.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
You could probably pay for an Apple battery install and resubmit if you wanted to. But I would keep the 11PM as a backup.
Infortunately Apple will not touch it now, even to replace the battery with a genuine one, The issue is who opened it up and replaced the battery. It wasnt an Apple authorised tech, else they would a use genuine part.

Reactions: dk001 and freeagent

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Your opinion isn’t legally binding. Every company has their own term. I don’t like the fact battery is considered a mod, but that’s Apple’s interpretation and defined clearly. You play by their terms and conditions, or chose not to buy if it isn’t acceptable.

it’s funny how this very inhuman clinging to often not legally enforceable terms and conditions…

doesn’t apply when bringing in a “modified” iphone to a physical applestore

it’s almost like they’re just using shoddy scammy trade in companies to rip you off and has nothing to do with your terms and condtions

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
it’s also important to add i’ve received trade in credit for a samsung s21 ultra with replaced screen at an apple store

somehow that’s worth something?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've never done a phone trade, but I've done quite a few iPads, and have had zero issues.
I'm still using a 6th Gen iPad. Runs iOS 17 well. But I expect that next year it won't get the iOS 18 update, which means looking for a new one at some point. This one will most likely go in my car for navigation.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I'm still using a 6th Gen iPad. Runs iOS 17 well. But I expect that next year it won't get the iOS 18 update, which means looking for a new one at some point. This one will most likely go in my car for navigation.

Well I updated quite a few of my grandkids to 10th gen iPads and traded in various models from 7th-9th. Got exactly what was stated after putting in my info. No issues. And I did a watch recently too - traded in my son's SE. I was surprised they didn't come back with a lower offer because it had a LOT of scratches (which I noted), but they gave me what was offered.

Reactions: dk001 and eyoungren

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
apple likely uses a hodgepodge of trade in companies resulting in “your mileage may vary” from customers and “not our problem” from apple

Reactions: G5isAlive

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
In it's documentation, Apple may use the word 'mod'. But most people do not think that by replacing a battery in an iPhone with a third party battery that you have 'modified' the device. Apple does.
Just my 2 cents below.
I also think that it is a modification.

The OEM battery is attached to OEM controller(the actual connection pins). Controller is a brain regulating the charge rate and discharge rate(voltage, amps).
I saw people tricking non-oem batteries to think that the battery is OEM, but one needed to mold that OEM controller to non-OEM battery bank.

I think it is a modification, because there is no guarantee that non-OEM battery would not catch fire or explode due to the above. On top of that, if battery is weak and non-oem, people can have phone shutting down at 40% of battery left.

Also, when replacing the battery, person is touching all the surroundings on motherboard(who guarantees that they did not cause short circuit or bent connection with metal tweezers). They have to also reseal the screen, so no guarantee that the iphone was not collecting moisture around motherboard before trade-in - it is very real to have wet flooded iphone if the water did not touch Apple's check points (white dots around sim slot in the past iphones and in other places).

However, if I replace a battery on a car under warranty with a third party battery, does that mean my car dealership has the right to deny me warranty service because I 'modified' my car with a third party battery?
Unfortunately with BMW and Range Rover, this is quite very possible. Link for a person with problems with the whole car after 3rd party battery replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Unfortunately with BMW and Range Rover, this is quite very possible. Link for a person with problems with the whole car after 3rd party battery replacement.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned 'more expensive vehicles'. I can see that because these types of vehicles are designed to operate a certain way and the manufacturers have not officially released specs to third party parts suppliers.

As to your 2 cents, I hear you. It's just not what most people generally understand the word to mean is all I'm saying.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
it’s funny how this very inhuman clinging to often not legally enforceable terms and conditions…

doesn’t apply when bringing in a “modified” iphone to a physical applestore

it’s almost like they’re just using shoddy scammy trade in companies to rip you off and has nothing to do with your terms and condtions
It isn’t inhuman or shady if the terms are specified upfront. If it was shady, there would be lawsuits. It goes both ways. I have seen posts here claiming the phone was clean with cracked screens, and refused a trade in value more than $0. I am not gonna sit and judge people nor companies. I handle my business, and make sure I am not depending on some guy sitting in a remote center make a decision. And yes, read terms and conditions, or you are at mercy of some one else.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Exactly. You don't modify your remote control every time you replace the batteries. That is not the generally understood definition of the word 'mod'.

In it's documentation, Apple may use the word 'mod'. But most people do not think that by replacing a battery in an iPhone with a third party battery that you have 'modified' the device. Apple does. But I am questioning the use of the word here in this thread because that's not how most people understand the word.

That is all I am arguing.

Right. Neither am I. If I wish to deal with Apple, then I deal with Apple on their terms. However, if I replace a battery on a car under warranty with a third party battery, does that mean my car dealership has the right to deny me warranty service because I 'modified' my car with a third party battery?

Maybe in some places and with some more expensive vehicles it does, but not in most places and with most cars in the US.

I babysat the one trade-in I made in 2015. T-Mobile saw my device as having arrived at the warehouse but because it was 'not checked in' they would not give me the trade-in credit. A few days of my routinely visiting my local carrier store and they realized I wouldn't go away, so they got someone on the phone to authorize my credit.

I played their game, if I deal with Apple I play Apple's game.
I am not trading a remote control, this is about Apple iPhone. You replace a Tesla battery pack with your own and see how that goes. That’s why I used the example of a Tesla, compared to some one replacing a battery in BMW or Toyota replacing battery isn’t a big deal. As the technology gets more compact, more complicated, the traditional methods change, that’s why you play the manufacturers game.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am not trading a remote control, this is about Apple iPhone. You replace a Tesla battery pack with your own and see how that goes. That’s why I used the example of a Tesla, compared to some one replacing a battery in BMW or Toyota replacing battery isn’t a big deal. As the technology gets more compact, more complicated, the traditional methods change, that’s why you play the manufacturers game.
And I am not talking about dealing with Apple or any other company. That, to my mind is settled. I deal with the terms of the company that I am doing business with.

I am talking about the definition of the word 'mod' as it is commonly understood. That's all.

• Angry

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
That's very unfortunate and disheartening for sure! I personally had no issues whatsoever trading in my 14 Pro Max upon picking up my 15 Pro Max back in October...

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
OK.

I guess I just see it differently. To me a modification is something that is not standard. If I replace my car battery with one from Walmart or AAA instead of one from the Nissan dealer, that doesn't modify my car. If I put new batteries in my TV remote or smoke detector that are not the same Chinese make as what the manufacturer included, that isn't a modification.

But if I convert the electrical system on my car to something else or alter my remote control/smoke detectors to run on a different type of battery then that's a mod.

I'm not arguing that they should accept third party parts, just the definition of the word 'mod'. It's not a term I've ever heard Apple itself use.

In any case, whatever I think is irrelevant to what Apple does or does not do.
Yeah but dude, that’s like your opinion. I’ve just the now explained that yes it’s a mod. The rest is sadly waffle. iPhones are not cars.

And even if they were, a company like Mercedes isn’t going to replace your ‘Best Buy’ branded battery if it goes bad while your car is still in warranty.

Apple does use the term modifications in its policies and procedures.

“am talking about the definition of the word 'mod' as it is commonly understood. That's all.”

I think you’ll have to come to the new conclusion that maybe you’re misunderstanding ‘mod’ And that’s why everyone here seems to have a different view to yours.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Yeah but dude, that’s like your opinion. I’ve just the now explained that yes it’s a mod. The rest is sadly waffle. iPhones are not cars.

And even if they were, a company like Mercedes isn’t going to replace your ‘Best Buy’ branded battery if it goes bad while your car is still in warranty.

“am talking about the definition of the word 'mod' as it is commonly understood. That's all.”

I think you’ll have to come to the new conclusion that maybe you’re misunderstanding ‘mod’ And that’s why everyone here seems to have a different view to yours.

i don’t think the actual real life common understanding of what a mod is in regards to a piece of hardware is just a personal opinion

it’s literally the way it’s actually used and it is precisely on this distinction that apple takes the anti consumer stance that had to be OUTLAWED when car manufacturers tried the same thing

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, it's my opinion. But I do not believe you are paying attention as your opinion seems to be blinding you to the fact that there are others who hold the same opinion as I do in this thread. Hence you cannot claim 'everyone'. That's an absolute, and if there is at least one that disagrees with you and agrees with me, that isn't 'everyone'. And there are several.

In any case, as I have already stated, my opinion does not matter at all if I am dealing with Apple or any other company.

• Angry

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
Did they give you £0 or did they reject it altogether? Because there’s a difference. I wouldn’t buy a phone with an aftermarket battery, either. If they said they’d take the phone minus the cost of a new battery, I don’t think they’ve done anything wrong

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
It is pretty cut and dried to me.

3rd party opens a phone.

Phone uses glue and gaskets to seal, designed for that device.

Battery will require code in software to run on phone, effectively trying to bypass Apple security.

Who is to say the phone will be as watertight as original?

Then the battery. Who is to say the chemical composition is the same? I don't see many iPhones going up in flames, but you do see other vendors burn. If an iPhone does burn, chances are it has a 3rd party battery in it. Like that one video..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.