Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you considering returning your 16 MBP?

• Yes

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 89 72.4%

• Total voters

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
I don’t know about everyone else but the 16MBP has been a huge letdown for me.
Speakers having that “popping sound”
Noisy fans when editing in FCPX/Lightroom
Flickering screen when using external monitors

For close to $4,000 after all the configurations I made I can’t justify this purchase and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way..

before this I had a late 2013 Mac Pro and 2012 MBP and the goal was to consolidate devices. I’ve had nothing but headaches with this machine.

I picked up a 12.9“ iPad Pro earlier this year and it’s easily my favorite apple product I’ve owned in a long time. Guess I’ll be doubling down on iPad only until further notice.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

For close to $4,000 after all the configurations I made I can’t justify this purchase and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way..

before this I had a late 2013 Mac Pro and 2012 MBP and the goal was to consolidate devices. I’ve had nothing but headaches with this machine.

I picked up a 12.9“ iPad Pro earlier this year and it’s easily my favorite apple product I’ve owned in a long time. Guess I’ll be doubling down on iPad only until further notice.
Try a razer blade 15

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
The popping issue was resolved in the last update for most people. It can clearly be fixed via software so if there's any other applications you're still experiences the popping sound, I'd sit tight for an update or update now if you haven't already.

Of course the fans are going to ramp up when you're taxing your GPU and CPU, it's a thin laptop that has to stay cool, I'm not sure what else you'd expect.

How do you plan on using FCPX on your iPad?

Reactions: wgr73 and DanMan619

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would venture a guess that the majority of people here disagree with you. We are an apple fan sight, and many members are quite dedicated to the apple brand. As for me, I made that choice last year when I could get a Thinkpad for nearly 2,000 dollars cheaper then a similarly equipped MBP.

Reactions: Queen6

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I was considering returning it because of the coil whine issue. I've just gotten used to it, but I still don't like it, so I'll be keeping my eye on the 2020 model.

Also I can't help but wonder what 2020 will have in store for iMacs. Ultimately I wanted an iMac more than MBP but there's just been no rumors about iMacs so I can't count on one appearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jl006p

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Honestly bro if you're doing a lot of lightroom/fcpx you're MUCH better off on an imac. This 5k 27" screen is fantastic for editing 4k video (It's how I make my living) and when the fan does kick in, it's super quiet. This larger chassis is simply going to be superior to an ultra thin laptop for thermals and sound, you can't fight physics.

The macbook pro is for users that need portability as the number one concern. If you're able to be more static in your work then you'll be much happier getting the imac for your "real" work and then an ipad for your mobile stuff.

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
The popping issue was resolved in the last update for most people. It can clearly be fixed via software so if there's any other applications you're still experiences the popping sound, I'd sit tight for an update or update now if you haven't already.

Of course the fans are going to ramp up when you're taxing your GPU and CPU, it's a thin laptop that has to stay cool, I'm not sure what else you'd expect.

How do you plan on using FCPX on your iPad?

I’ve been using lumafusion and it does the job.
Honestly bro if you're doing a lot of lightroom/fcpx you're MUCH better off on an imac. This 5k 27" screen is fantastic for editing 4k video (It's how I make my living) and when the fan does kick in, it's super quiet. This larger chassis is simply going to be superior to an ultra thin laptop for thermals and sound, you can't fight physics.

The macbook pro is for users that need portability as the number one concern. If you're able to be more static in your work then you'll be much happier getting the imac for your "real" work and then an ipad for your mobile stuff.

yeah I might have to go with iMac but I’ve been unimpressed with the current lineup.
I have until January to make my decision. I’ll try this update and see if it fixes my issues. TY

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I can't justify the new 16 though I'd like one. Being able to get 32 GB of RAM would be nice as I run memory hogs on mine but my use case is that I don't need heavy CPU or GPU. So the combination of my 2014 and 2015 get the job done for me. I'm sure that I would be quite happy with the 16 as it's far more than I need.

Reactions: jbachandouris

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I've had my 16" for about 3 weeks now (2.4 i9, 64GB RAM, 1TB, 5300M).

I noticed the YouTube issue at first, after 10.15.2, its gone for me.

I've never noticed a coil whine. But I'm 36 and while my high frequency hearing is maybe better than most my age, its not what it was in my early 20s either, so I might simply not hear it.

On external monitors, I seem to run into issues when I go from my LG 34" 5x2K to a 1080 projector and back to the LG. Not always, but sometimes. And the only thing that seems to fix it is a reboot. I need to trouble shoot this more though. It might has to do with the particular adapters used, or maybe I can prevent it through when the computer sleeps or awakens relative to when the displays are connected/disconnected.

And fans, well, that's what you get with pushing your laptop hard. I've always pushed laptops relatively hard and this one isn't particularly louder or quieter than others. It is very noticeably faster though. As others have said, if you don't want the fan noise on you laptop, you'll need to use a desktop or a much thicker laptop. One alternative is that you could remote into a desktop. Say, keep the 2013 Mac Pro, but get a 13/14" MacBook Pro when they update. Then "consolidate" by using screen share or ssh.

I don't really want to tell you what to do, but this 16" is about equally as fast as my 12 core 2013 Mac Pro. You certainly could consolidate into this one machine, if the fit is right. I might suggest making sure you're completely up to date on the software, then giving it a week of try out. Sometimes just switching between what you're used to into something new can be jarring and buyer remorse sets in. If in a week or more, you're still not happy, by all means get something that will make you happy. And if really this comes down to a fan noise issue (as I think all the other ones are probably solvable in some way) you could use a fan control app, then your computer will just slow down to match the heat dissipation. Performance will suffer, but it will likely be faster than just about any other silent and portable options out there.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I was considering returning it because of the coil whine issue. I've just gotten used to it, but I still don't like it, so I'll be keeping my eye on the 2020 model.

Also I can't help but wonder what 2020 will have in store for iMacs. Ultimately I wanted an iMac more than MBP but there's just been no rumors about iMacs so I can't count on one appearing.
I've yet to notice any coil whine with mine when using at a normal distance, same specs as the one in your sig. If it bothers you, don't hesitate to exchange it.

(It could be that I'm not particularly sensitive to coil whine or the ambient noise is drowning it out, but a used Late 2008 MacBook Air I bought a few years back had a bad and clearly audible case of it.)

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
The only issues I have with the machine are with Catalina. I wish I could install a previous version of the OS, but I do think that Apple will eventually iron out the issues. It does kind of suck for the early adopters

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

14nm 8 Core i9 Intel CPUs shoved into a MacBook Pro running at 88 Degrees throttled and run At 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz to save itself is a flawed product.

Maybe 10nm+ will solve this and a cooling system overhaul From Apple.

Reactions: Jl006p

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
14nm 8 Core i9 Intel CPUs shoved into a MacBook Pro running at 88 Degrees throttled and run At 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz to save itself is a flawed product.

Maybe 10nm+ will solve this and a cooling system overhaul From Apple.

this was a cooling system overhaul. Not much apple can do besides make it thicker. Also, 10nm won’t solve anything. No mater what the design or process of the CPU, the top end laptops will want to squeeze everything out of them possible. That will mean heat and fans. Only thing that will “fix” that is to put a lower power and lower performing CPU in the machine....which would be to cut off your nose because you don’t like the way it looks.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle

This is not a problem. This is what we want -- significant cooling when spinning up the GPU and CPU, which you are in those image-intensive applications.

The 16" Macbook Pro speakers sound fantastic. The popping issue has been partially fixed, and I'm sure it will be totally resolved after another update. I think it's pretty great Apple released a laptop with a big screen, and one that's powerful enough to allow you to quickly work with those apps on-the-go; some fan noise is a small price to pay for that kind of portable power.

Return if you must, but, you may miss your new Macbook Pro when it's gone.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
this was a cooling system overhaul. Not much apple can do besides make it thicker. Also, 10nm won’t solve anything. No mater what the design or process of the CPU, the top end laptops will want to squeeze everything out of them possible. That will mean heat and fans. Only thing that will “fix” that is to put a lower power and lower performing CPU in the machine....which would be to cut off your nose because you don’t like the way it looks.
That’s Why I want a 14” MBP with a Core i5 and No GPU (since they are not gaming machines) no one with 13” MBP is ever complaining of throttling or overheating.

its just the 15” and now 16” MBP owners with i7 and i9 SKUs who think they just bought something faster than a Gaming desktop and want MaxPerformance always on 2 external monitors.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
That’s Why I want a 14” MBP with a Core i5 and No GPU (since they are not gaming machines) no one with 13” MBP is ever complaining of throttling or overheating.

its just the 15” and now 16” MBP owners with i7 and i9 SKUs who think they just bought something faster than a Gaming desktop and want MaxPerformance always on 2 external monitors.

Those GPUs in the MacBook Pro aren’t wasted just because they aren’t gaming rigs.... and the only people complaining are simply ignorant. Are you saying Apple shouldn’t make the highest performing 16” laptop it can simply to appease ignorant jackwads complaining about fan noise when maxing the CPU and/or GPU? That’s a bit silly no? I want the performance and willfully accept the fan noise in those situations (and really it’s not that bad anyway).

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Complaining about noisy fans is like complaining that your oven is hot.

Word!!!

I like my good ol Lenovo P50.
I'm fortunate to be able to use both a 2018 MBP and a Lenovo P50 on a daily basis.

When I need to do some serious compute intensive work, the P50 is my first choice.
I can keep all 8 cores logical processors near 100% busy, sustaining 3.2Ghz for hours without thermal throttling. And the fans are barely audible (compared to the MBP under similar loads). Ya, it's a little thicker, and little heavier... but that thing is a work horse.

Last edited:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Word!!!

I like my good ol Lenovo P50.
I'm fortunate to be able to use both a 2018 MBP and a Lenovo P50 on a daily basis.

When I need to do some serious compute intensive work, the P50 is my first choice.
I can keep all 8 cores logical processors near 100% busy, sustaining 3.2Ghz for hours without thermal throttling. And the fans are barely audible (compared to the MBP under similar loads). Ya, it's a little thicker, and little heavier... but that thing is a work horse.

Those Lenovo machines are great too. If I had to go windows, it would be Lenovo for sure.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
My 2019 4k is for sale on eBay if anybody wants it. I wouldn't recommend though. Specially with Razer's terrible service. Warranty doesn't transfer to the new buyer, per Razer policy. Just don't go that route.

Razer is indeed one of the worst companies in the tech space you can deal with. Just don't.

edit: in fact, that should be their new slogan. "Razer: Just don't."

yuhengzhou

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I have already returned my macboo Pro. Mein crashes randomly, can’t stand anymore. I will buy a new one until catalina or new MacBook is reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.