Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Lollypop said:
I like your entire arguement, but it bothers me that a manufacturer can contracually enforce a price on someone for a period.. is that completely legal? What will happen to the contractual price if the entire processor lines price drops??

The only things that really bothers me with the mini... the integrated graphics and the dual channel memory, the PPC minis allowed me to upgrade to 2gigs with cheaper memory and without a performance penalty when using unmacthed sizes.

The performance penalty isn't that great. You can upgrade 1 stick and then get the other stick at another time.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I think risc said it best here: If you don't like the Mac Mini, don't buy one. I'll agree that the Mini is not quite the deal it could be, but it is still a stylish, not-really-expensive little computer using the still very capable Core processor. The GMA 950 is fine for multimedia use/HD playback, which is the Mac Mini's greatest use to a great number of people. Hopefully the Mini will get cheaper and better relatively soon, but until then I think it stands fine on its own.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
MacBoySeattle said:
Oh, I wish you hadn't asked me to do that :D Um I'm sorry, as much as I hate PCs, I saw this this morning.

$949 with a 19" LCD and 2.4 ghz Conroe Core 2 Duo:

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
4MB L2 Cache
1 Gb Dual channel DDR 2 SDRAM at 667 mhz
160 gb Hard drive
16X DVD Burner with CD-RW
19" LCD (beats the Imacs 17")
256mb Nvidia Geforce Graphics Card

Don't believe me?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=3d92h6&s=bsd

Hell of a deal.

Looks good but then again, this is Conroe and not Merom.

Conroe is cheaper than Merom.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
It is a mac freaking mini, who really cares? A dual processor in a entry level computer is hardly 'defunct'. To me it is like someone buying an entry level car and bitching it doesn't have a sunroof or satellite radio. Now you will have to go up a level and spend more, which must be the auto makers plans, right..

:rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Its pretty funny all this bitching about CPU's. Fact is this little Mini's new dual cores can match or better any dual G5 Powermac in cpu performance in its tiny package and we are bitching. Plus who needs more cpu performance when all the new dual core Cpu's from Intel are just kicking every G5 or G4s butt big time? Sure its got a cheapo GMA950 in it and that sucks but come on. Then you look that Airport & bluetooth are now standard plus Apples OS is just way better then windblows. At $599 its a lot of machine in its base configuration.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
So how cheap is a dual core Dell? And one that can compete with Core Duo.

I get between $636-649 for the lowest Pentium D 805 machine with a monitor. Then you have to add Windows XP Pro ($121) and crank up the CPU ($41-122).

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
iGary said:
What is it about "entry-level" that people don't get? :confused:

Ulitmate irony about the "entry level" Mac Mini

Your not even allowed to "enter" the actual bloody thing - unless your a pro and known what your doing its a sealed unit.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Lollypop said:
I like your entire argument, but it bothers me that a manufacturer can contracually enforce a price on someone for a period.. is that completely legal? What will happen to the contractual price if the entire processor lines price drops??

The only things that really bothers me with the mini... the integrated graphics and the dual channel memory, the PPC minis allowed me to upgrade to 2gigs with cheaper memory and without a performance penalty when using unmacthed sizes.

The example I wrote was purely conjecture, as I previously stated. But, it is not fantasy. These types of deals are very common nowadays. I will give you an example:

I worked for an aerospace manufacturer. Our customer was Boeing. In 1990, we were the incumbent supplier of over 2000 different parts (3rd largest in the world). We had won all of these jobs through competitive bidding. Boeing came to us with a 'package' of all these parts, at their current price, and wanted us to commit to a five-year contract. We would sell them the entire 'statement of work' at the same price. Otherwise, ALL ~2000 parts would be sent out for rebidding.

Boeing's SOW was terribly incomplete, many prices were totally wrong and their projected purchase quantities were a joke. Also, we had not actually made some of the parts yet. We had our bid amount, but no actual COGS. I was told to re-assign everything I was doing and focus all my time analyzing the 'package'. It took me nearly six months to compile a SOW our company could work with. Boeing was constantly 'rattling their sabers' about this being all or nothing. However, we eventually agreed to a SOW of ~1600. They did rebid the remaining ~400 and we won back the ones we cared about, but at a higher price.

In this example, Boeing was in a stronger negotiating position than us. We had millions of dollars in inventory, programming, tooling, etc. And that is usually the case in B2B contracts; one of the parties have the stronger negotiating position and will get more concessions. However, there is almost always enough benefits for both companies to prosper from the arrangement.

Between 1995 and 2000, I negotiated several contracts with our company's suppliers and service providers. I did not have to resort to arm-twisting like Boeing did.

These contracts and SOW can be written in any way imaginable. However, they will usually involve pricing and order quantities. However, there could be codicils that protect both parties against unusual circumstances, like a major product line price reduction.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Lollypop said:
I like your entire arguement, but it bothers me that a manufacturer can contracually enforce a price on someone for a period.. is that completely legal? What will happen to the contractual price if the entire processor lines price drops??
Intel need a demand in order to produce the chips. Its not like mixing a gin bucket, where if more people show up at the party, you can simply pour in some more stuff. Or like baking brownies (which is not all that easy). I'm not trying to be a douchebag either, there really is a point to all this :p

I think they dont even start producing them til they have greater than a certain order... so if they give you a price, you're basically stuck with it

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Having bought a new Mac mini two days ago, I'm VERY happy with it. Granted I've only used it for about a day, but what I have used of it, it's very fast and doesn't hang on anything. And even though the idea of running Windows on my new Mac is quite nauseating, XP Pro does run well.

But at the same time I don't expect it to keep up with my G5 in an intense environment.

And it's so cool and mini! :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
A Gpu upgrade would give this machine a 5 star rating in my view, The 950 is what it is but I wish Apple would have put in the next generation Intel graphics chip 965 or so. Still though its a solid little machine and it handled the lightning strike we just had a heck of a lot better then my $2,000 plus Alienware now Paperweight.:eek:

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Want to see other people's attempt at a Mac Mini...

http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/31/aopens-pandora-mac-mini-clone-opens-box-of-legal-trouble/

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1935125,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

http://news.softpedia.com/news/It-Had-To-Happen-Mac-Mini-Clone-Is-Out-15520.shtml

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/02/evesham_mini_pc_plus/1.html

From the AOpen site...

http://minipc.aopen.com/us/

Try configuring a system for price here (emember to chose XP Professional as the OS - the "closest" match to OS X)...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MINIPC945.html

Looks like the Mac mini has a competative price on hardware alone when stacked up against the only really comparible Wintel box.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
A Gpu upgrade would give this machine a 5 star rating in my view, The 950 is what it is but I wish Apple would have put in the next generation Intel graphics chip 965 or so. Still though its a solid little machine and it handled the lightning strike we just had a heck of a lot better then my $2,000 plus Alienware now Paperweight.:eek:

The 965 (which is the chipset not a GPU, but the GPU that goes with it which I can't recall the name of) doesn't exist yet. I'm confident it will be in the mini and MB when it's ready though - it seems like Apple is going to be Intel's show off platform.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mrgreen4242 said:
The 965 (which is the chipset not a GPU, but the GPU that goes with it which I can't recall the name of) doesn't exist yet. I'm confident it will be in the mini and MB when it's ready though - it seems like Apple is going to be Intel's show off platform.
The 965 exists. It just doesn't for laptops, yet.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
mrgreen4242 said:
Your right its called the gma 3000 still Mini has a achilles heal and its the gma950. Sours the whole pot if you know what I mean. Otherwise Mini is near perfect.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The £529 Mini might have been a more tempting buy if they had put the 2ghz chip in rather than the 1.8.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
combatcolin said:
Ulitmate irony about the "entry level" Mac Mini

Your not even allowed to "enter" the actual bloody thing - unless your a pro and known what your doing its a sealed unit.
How is that ironic? Entry level machines are generally not meant to be upgraded by the user.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
zap2 said:
They won the the internet! So...do they get to tell people who can and can't use it? Or what?

It means it's over. We had a good run. Now we all power down our systems and hit the locker room. :)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Apple doesnt lower prices. They sell what they want to sell. I dont think this is an issue. I can see how someone would though.

To the OP, do your homework before you come crying. Apple isnt Dell or any other bargain basement PC seller. Therefore you cant compare.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Counterfit said:
How is that ironic? Entry level machines are generally not meant to be upgraded by the user.
True most Dell's only have PCI slots until you start getting to the higher end machines.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Counterfit said:

Oh dear, Americans and Irony.......(ONLY GUESSING!!!!;) )

Almost every entry level computer can be opened up, even the dear old Spectrum from 1982 could be opened up and have connection cards soldered to it..bit easier nowadays though:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.