Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
MacBoySeattle said:
The bottom line is it ain't just Dell. When the Core 2 Duo (Merom) came out, and supplanted the Yonah at the exact same price, every PC manufacturer from Dell to HP and on down the line put in or announced the lower end Meroms in certain computers which had the Yonah in and didn't jack up the price. How do you explain that? Go take your MBA BS and figure that one out. Go look at my Dell Core 2 Duo above and try to ask them how they did that.
who said apple was jacking up the price? they had core duo's in the imac priced at 1699 for a 20 inch and now they are only charging 1499 with a CORE 2 DUO which in ur mind is just an amazing chip compared to core duo. The core 2 duo they are using is also a DESKTOP processor not a laptop or mobile processor.....so it's cheaper. Perhaps you should take an economics class and learn how companies work. You don't just buy a few processors here and there for say $200 a piece. You buy in huge wholesale lots to make the price cheaper. Say apple for instance bought 500k yonah's for $xx. they only end up using 400k before merom suddenly comes out quicker than expected. do you think apple just returns the supply to intel? no they can't that's no in the contract. THey had a contract with intel to buy so many chips and they did they can't break the contract and just send them back. So what do they do? They continue to use up the current supply before bringing the whole entire inventory over to the new chip....hence why they haven't put merom into the new mini's. It's common sense man and it's the way business works everyday. You buy in bulk up front and risk losing money or not using inventory bc new stuff comes out, it's the way it works. You can't just be like hey i want this right now and when merom comes out i wanna ship back my leftover stock of yonah in trade for the same price of yonah, that's just flat out ridiculous you think a company can run like that. When a clothing store has clearance sales do you think they are just doing that for fun? No, they have a ton of inventory they need to get rid of so they don't care what price they sell it for as long as it makes room for the new stuff. And no, in the computer world that doesn't mean those chips are now on clearance and are $5 a piece

If you check my sig you can see I own a mac mini. I don't really care about the price bc i was willing to pay the $799 pricetag. I don't use it as a main computer so the specs aren't something to whine over like you are doing. You have been whining this whole time. You'd think since you know so much about this stuff that you would know you shouldn't buy a basic entry level machine with these specs as your main machine. You'd think you're a pro user by the way you're talking. Step it up and spend a little cash on a iMac since you aren't happy with mac mini. For the average user the mac mini is an excellent choice bc they don't need the latest and greatest stuff that comes on the imac and they don't need a screen. The problem with doing a price drop is this. Most average users don't know anything about processors. THey look at GIGAHERTZ. So if you go out and buy a mac mini for 799 with a 1.66 core duo you are happy with your machine and 2 weeks later they upgrade it to a 1.66 core 2 duo for $599 or even $699 they are going to be like why did i just get ripped off and pay $799 when it's the same machine? They aren't going to know the difference between core 2 and core 1 duo. They don't care. All they are looking at is the GIGAHERTZ.

Bottom line is....for what comes in the mini right now and the SIZE of the machine it's an excellent little computer. I don't mind paying $799 for what it does for me hooked up to my tv. I can't find a windows computer of this same with these same specs since i do need wireless as well. All i know is if apple did do a price drop and put my exact model as the current base it would of made a lot of people mad bc that's a huge $200 difference in price. They keep the prices the same and don't make drastic changes bc it wouldn't be a good idea bc the customers wouldn't like that. That's one reason dell is having a hard time lately, they are so off and on with their prices. You don't know if u got a good deal from dell or they just ripped you off for all it's worth. So again.....quit whining and don't buy since it doesn't live up to your standards. IT lives up to my standards and plenty of other users standards and i couldn't ask for a better machine at a better price point.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
combatcolin said:
Oh dear, Americans and Irony.......(ONLY GUESSING!!!!;) )

Almost every entry level computer can be opened up, even the dear old Spectrum from 1982 could be opened up and have connection cards soldered to it..bit easier nowadays though:p

The Spectrum came from a company that made do-it-yourself computer kits. :D

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
I guess I don't understand the desire for people to sit and waste their good time to try and convince a straight up troll that their opinion is wrong.

Just call this chap a whaaaaaaaaaaambulance so he can get over it. BTW, I'm about ready to get out the worlds smallest violin and play it for him.

On a more serious note, I don't see what the problem is with the minor bump. They are actually starting to build a spread into the systems spec wise. Who really thinks a system, designed to be the low end intro-to-a-mac computer, should be exactly the same specs in just about every department as the main desktop mac offering? And oh btw, the Mac Mini, cpu and ram speed wise, was just right in the ballpark of their high end (!) MBP.

Eh WTF?

So now Apple is revving the lines appropriately. The mini will occupy the proper space it did when it was a PPC computer. The iMac is now a better computer than the mini (well, it was always better, but you should get my drift). All we need is a slight MBP bump to C2D, maybe a speed bump for the Macbook to be the fastest C2 chip.

Mac Pro - Xeon 3.0 ghz
iMac - C2D 2.16 ghz
Mac Mini - CD 1.83 ghz

Looks proper to me.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
bousozoku said:
The Spectrum came from a company that made do-it-yourself computer kits. :D

And thats an entire thread altogther!

For an "Entry level" machine the Mini is better than pretty much anything else on the market, and the 965 MB specs will upgrade it even further.

What would be nice, would be to use the upgradeble grpahic card standard that is present in some laptops.

Yes it propirtary (and no i can't spell it:eek: ) expensive and not readily availible - but at least its an option.

A case that can be opened up would be nice too.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
so when can I get a mac mini for under $500 that is an Intel based machine?

would be quite a boon to the Carputer scene with regards to macs in cars.

a cheap cheap solution using a mac would be nice, so even sub $500 would be sweeter...I can wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.