Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Is there a certain proximity within which you have to be in order to ring the AirTag from the Find My app? Is it Bluetooth range or can you be far away and trigger it to play the chime sound?

I ask because I had my luggage lost at an airport on another continent, and had a close friend get it for me. I sent him photos of the luggage and told him which corner of the airport it was in (based on the approximate location in the Find My app), and he went to the corresponding airline's lost luggage room and identified it. We had a FaceTime call and I told him I could play the chime to further prove it was mine but the Find My app said something about the AirTag not being within distance, but I really don't recall.

Ultimately they were able to see the luggage and name tags and confirm it was mine, and then sent the luggage on its way back to me, but I was wondering if there is official documentation on the "Play a sound" feature and any distance requirements.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You have to be within Bluetooth range to play a sound.
Find your keys, backpack, and more with AirTag - Apple Support

An alternate/better way to prove it was yours would have been to put your AirTag in lost mode and added a message, if you didn't already. Then had your friend scan the AirTag to see if he got your message and contact information.
How to Put an AirTag in Lost Mode - MacRumors
Found a Lost AirTag? Here’s What to Do - MacRumors
Mark an AirTag or other item as lost in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

This is why I don't hide my AirTags inside my bags and luggage. If I lose something, I want people to know there's an AirTag that could be scanned for more information. It's basically an NFC tag that takes you to a website with your message and contact information if it's in lost mode. The tag needs to be tapped with your phone (iPhone or Android)...it can't be read if the tag is hidden more than a few centimeters away somewhere.

Last edited:

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010

An alternate/better way to prove it was yours would have been to put your AirTag in lost mode and added a message, if you didn't already. Then had your friend scan the AirTag to see if he got your message and contact information.

This is why I don't hide my AirTags inside my bags and luggage. If I lose something, I want people to know there's an AirTag that could be scanned for more information. It's basically an NFC tag that takes you to a website with your message and contact information if it's in lost mode. The tag needs to be tapped with your phone (iPhone or Android)...it can't be read if the tag is hidden more than a few centimeters away somewhere.
Is there any downside? Because my luggage was at an airport it was constantly locatable and the “Last seen” text never said anything longer than thirty minutes ago.

I should clarify that the AirTag was hanging externally but once it was in the lost luggage room no employee thought to scan it.

Michaelangelo28

macrumors member
May 1, 2023
Los Angeles
Is there a certain proximity within which you have to be in order to ring the AirTag from the Find My app? Is it Bluetooth range or can you be far away and trigger it to play the chime sound?

I ask because I had my luggage lost at an airport on another continent, and had a close friend get it for me. I sent him photos of the luggage and told him which corner of the airport it was in (based on the approximate location in the Find My app), and he went to the corresponding airline's lost luggage room and identified it. We had a FaceTime call and I told him I could play the chime to further prove it was mine but the Find My app said something about the AirTag not being within distance, but I really don't recall.

Ultimately they were able to see the luggage and name tags and confirm it was mine, and then sent the luggage on its way back to me, but I was wondering if there is official documentation on the "Play a sound" feature and any distance requirements.
Only within your range

obecalps

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023

Outside the bag=bye bye.

Reactions: brewc99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.