Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Took the 6s into the Apple store. They ran all the tests, couldn't find anything wrong. While the phone was sitting there it dropped about 20% doing nothing. A minute or two later it jumped up about 10%. I'm to old and life is to short to keep chasing gremlins.
Walked out with a new 11.
Happy camper now.
I also do not want to "keep chasing gremlins" and your experience mirrors that of mine. I also walked out with a new 11 and its great. What I object to is their attitude. High and mighty and always right. As if their products cannot be faulty. I posted a link further up this thread about an article in the UK press. If this turns out to have some substance, then they should be compensating us and others for their error. (and their arrogance). Doesn't mean I won't keep the 11. It means that I could give/sell/donate my 6S with a clear conscience that they would be getting something that works as expected. This forum has other folks who are quite content to keep using their 6S devices.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
No. They said the battery was fine. Strangely, even though their genius (really - genius - I very much doubt it) they said they would change the battery. Why? To pacify me?
I think someone here described Apple employees as glorified retail staff. After this experience I would describe them as robotic androids. They are just down right weird!
[automerge]1572066482[/automerge]
I realise this might be the wrong forum to ask this question, but has anyone here ever tried to untangle themselves from the Apple eco-system? i.e. change from iPhone to Android, and MacOS to Windows?
Please don't admonish me for mentioning Windows, I have use it all my long working life. It seems to run most of the world, and to be honest my last experience of Microsoft (Windows 7) wasn't that bad at all.
With apple stores massive expansion, you can only hire so many technically skilled geeks. I agree on them being slightly better trained retail employees. They follow steps on their iPad and that’s it.
[automerge]1572156276[/automerge]
Took the 6s into the Apple store. They ran all the tests, couldn't find anything wrong. While the phone was sitting there it dropped about 20% doing nothing. A minute or two later it jumped up about 10%. I'm to old and life is to short to keep chasing gremlins.
Walked out with a new 11.
Happy camper now.
I say you have thoroughly used the phone well and time to upgrade. Better camera, battery life, processor, etc...I’m kind of envious you can experience a big bump in generational differences. I usually upgrade each year, but its not noticeable anymore. Going from 8 plus to xs max was a decent upgrade, the camera was a big difference, but I can’t justify the difference between 11/pro and my xs max. When I see pictures between the 11 and the xs, the difference for day time is minor, I have to inspect the picture closely.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Update.
I had the phone checked at an Apple store (twice) and both diagnostic reports were that there was nothing wrong with the phone or the battery. After more diagnostics by Apple over the phone, they now say the battery is defunct. Its now £57.00 to replace the battery and only a 90 day warranty. Not sure what to do now. Call it a day and bin it, replace battery and sell it, or replace battery and keep it, bearing in mind that worst case scenario would be battery dead again after 90 days.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
Update.
I had the phone checked at an Apple store (twice) and both diagnostic reports were that there was nothing wrong with the phone or the battery. After more diagnostics by Apple over the phone, they now say the battery is defunct. Its now £57.00 to replace the battery and only a 90 day warranty. Not sure what to do now. Call it a day and bin it, replace battery and sell it, or replace battery and keep it, bearing in mind that worst case scenario would be battery dead again after 90 days.

It's not your phone. This is a well known effect with apple that ios updates significantly worsen battery life for older models. You are just a victim of apple's planned obsolescence in order to pay money for new hardware.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
It's not your phone. This is a well known effect with apple that ios updates significantly worsen battery life for older models. You are just a victim of apple's planned obsolescence in order to pay money for new hardware.
Are you an Apple user? And if so, do you just accept this as a consequence of owning an iPhone?

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Happened to be near an Apple store and noticed the battery depleting very quickly. They took a look and gave the phone the thumbs up. They couldn’t find anything wrong. So we went for lunch and shortly after noticed the battery charge was at 1%!
Apple had another look and couldn’t understand why. Except to say it was just one of things. Sometimes a 4 year old phone goes on for what seems forever and sometimes they snuff it. I was what you might call a low level user. Compared to others i know, I hardly used the phone. I am a bit disappointed really but they have me in their ecosystem, so I took the plunge on a new iPhone 11 (non-pro). I am not sure about the physical size but I am hoping the bigger battery will compensate for that.
Anyone else experienced something similar?

Sometimes I have to convince them to repalce the battery. The batteries in the 6S were pretty crappy anyway. They seem to wear out fast, though the rest of the 6S hardware is rock solid reliable. My dad's 6s got a new battery less than a year ago and it's already down to 90% health...and he's not a super heavy user. My XR is at 98% after almost a year and I'm a very heavy user...and I wireless charge it and fast charge it all the time. Even overheated it a couple of times haha. The new batteries are tanks compared to the 6S

trfc54

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
Are you an Apple user? And if so, do you just accept this as a consequence of owning an iPhone?

I was, but didn't feel like paying $700+ for an iphone 11 to resolve the problem, so I got an excellent android for ~$150 instead.

Reactions: phillytim

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
I was, but didn't feel like paying $700+ for an iphone 11 to resolve the problem, so I got an excellent android for ~$150 instead.
Thats what I was thinking of doing. Unfortunately, I have an Apple watch and however much I dislike having to replace the phone battery, the watch is probably the best gadget Apple make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.