Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
TO DEVELOP FOR

"On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."
computer and videogames

I guess next-gen solutions are necessary after all.....please keep this topic to pros/cons of the 360/PS3 development platforms.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
computer and videogames

I guess TRUE next-gen solutions are necessary after all.....:rolleyes:

Haha, so what? It's less of a limitation and more of an annoyance.

I prefer games to NOT have to install to play them... never liked it with PC games and hate the idea on consoles as well.

Obviously a stable platform is better, but that quote still overlooks a very important aspect: lack of hdd space. It can happen on PS3 as well, even if the HDD is present doesn't mean it'll have the necessary available space - it could be at full capacity.

Then what? You get a message saying "free up some hdd space so you can install the game"? Or the better alternative, you still get to play... but you might not be able to save. Either way, it's better to allow users to play a game regardless of how much (if any) hdd space they may have available.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I've always found the price argument w/ the PS3 to be a little spurious. To get the Xbox to do all the same things as a PS3 costs more, actually. I should know—my wallet found that out.

That said, I've no religious preference one way or the other, and the usual fanboying of "OMGZ UR CONSOLE SUXXORS" tends to annoy me. Each has its ups and downs. The Xbox has a less homogenous hardware lineup, but it has way more games and an excellent online service. The PS3 has a lot of hardware power, but has a bit of up front sticker shock, not too many games (yet) and a pretty crap online service (which is getting better). The Wii has a unique, fun control scheme and a low cost of entry, but its graphics are distinctly last-gen (though not necessarily "bad"). I only own a 360 at the moment, but will likely own all three within a year.

Can't we all just get along?

Trogloxene

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
I don't exactly trust anything Rockstar has to say. These guys game the laws as much as they game everything else.

-T

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I don't trust EVERYTHING anybody says, but that doesn't mean I disbelieve EVERYTHING any particular company says.
There is truth to the statements, whether or not some of you want to believe it or talk about in a PROFESSIONAL manner is not my problem.

I was merely posting an interview as well as my opinion
nothing over the top, but apparently enough to get attacked by haters.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
The Xbox 360's lack of a guaranteed hard disk is creating limitations in Grand Theft Auto IV's development, Rockstar has acknowledged.

I think this is wonderful news, because GTA is the worst game ever created, and anything that holds them back is good in my book. :p

I'm not necessarily against "installing" games on future consoles, but they better either include huge HDD's or drop the prices of games (yeah, right), or we're going to run in to problems like Haoshiro mentioned.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
that is a wonderful example of expressing your opinion without attacking another member in the process.....thanks for your input evilgEEk, much appreciated.

Well, XBOX Elite is already 120GB, and once PS3 fabrication costs go down, you'll see their "premier" model go to at least 80GB(to keep consumer purchase price up), and granted - with all this HD content we are now starting to get access to, storage space will be a concern for many.

But you can alos use the network, external drives, and other resources(like FLASH, etc) to store data elsewhere.

Loading times is a big concern for many gamers...they don't like waiting several minutes between levels, and installing data on an HD remedies that.

It will have its pro's/cons as well, but I still think they are both making thins easier for devs.
(that is not me saying PS3 is overall easier to dev of either, it has its limitations as well)
It seems you have to fully qualify statements around here to get a simple point across.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I wouldn't say that quote says PS3 is 'better' but we all knew that having a standard HDD was a good thing (how much of which is debatable, as is the advantage of BD). I dunno, I'm still expecting GTA IV to be a half assed port over to the PS3 like oh so many games thus far have been, lazy devs ya gotta love 'em.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
yeah I know...like I said: "It seems you have to fully qualify statements around here to get a simple point across."

It says why they like developing for it more so than the 360, it also says they both have limitations, but those two key components(HDD+BD) are hindering their development the most ......it would seem.

People will still sit here and tell you that MS did a good thing by removing the hard drive and not adding a larger capacity optical disc.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
This was one of my points about the x360 when it was first released, as developers would need to account for 2 different systems and then eventually HD DVD. It's all toooooo PC like, which is something I don't mind, but it's also something I never expected to see on the console front.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They will? I honestly don't think I've heard a positive comment about the Core lacking a HDD. It's something they should never have done.

Oh, and the "larger capacity optical disc" made the system not cost the price of a cheap car. £270 for Xbox with god knows how many bundled extras, £430 for PS3.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
They will? I honestly don't think I've heard a positive comment about the Core lacking a HDD. It's something they should never have done.

Oh, and the "larger capacity optical disc" made the system not cost the price of a cheap car. £270 for Xbox with god knows how many bundled extras, £430 for PS3.

Although paying $130 cdn for wifi then $30 for a charging cable turned my $500 360 into a $660 xbox 360 (same as a PS3) that has a smaller HDD and no BD/HD-DVD :( A crappy headset plus a mini remote hardly constitute a lot of extras...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Don't they count extra wireless controllers and games as extras in Canada? A consumer goes into a shop, see's a £270 console with multiple free games, extra controllers with £40 games, or a £430 console with £50 games.
360 loses wireless, PS3 loses HD cables.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Don't they count extra wireless controllers and games as extras in Canada? A consumer goes into a shop, see's a £270 console with multiple free games, extra controllers with £40 games, or a £430 console with £50 games.
360 loses wireless, PS3 loses HD cables.

Feels like the old forums again...

Well here the deal you get is it comes with Ghost Recon and the XBL arcade game that has 4 XBL games on it for the regular price, sometimes I see Kameo thrown in as well. PS3 now often comes with Formula 1 at Bestbuy or Futureshop so they both come at least one game. And the games are the same prices here between 360 and PS3 with Wii games being $10 less.

And while I picked up an HDMI cable for $19 at Bestbuy, my wireless still cost me $130 for the 360 :p Xbox isn't the most smoking deal in the world everywhere....

Sparky8

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
Resistance Fall of Man £29.99
Motorstorm £29.99
Ridge Racer 7 £29.99
NBA 2K7 £17.99

All other PS3 games £39.99

On Play.com, for argument sake

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh cool you might want to ring up Virgin Megastores and ask them why no 360 game goes beyond £45 and no PS3 game goes below £45.

If we're playing the online game then get back to me when you find the site that sells new, sealed 360 games for £25 (thanks, ghost of MRU :D ).

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Rockstar said:
"On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

All this basically means is that developers for the XBOX360 have to be smarter and program their games better so that they will run fast without a hard drive, whereas PS3 developers can be lazy.

As for DVD being a limitation, well i don't think any PS3 games make use of the full blu-ray capacity yet and when they do it will probably be in the form of cut-scene movies for the moment.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Halo 3 will give the 360 (the only console I currently own) a big boost. They need to cut the chip down to 65nm and improve the incredibly noisy drive.

There could be other niceties (e.g. built in wireless), but those would just bring up the price. I reckon I'll get the PS3 when it drops quite a lot in price...

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Halo 3 will give the 360 (the only console I currently own) a big boost. They need to cut the chip down to 65nm and improve the incredibly noisy drive.

There could be other niceties (e.g. built in wireless), but those would just bring up the price. I reckon I'll get the PS3 when it drops quite a lot in price...

Problem with the 360 drive is that there is virtually no way for them to cut down the noise level any more than they have. It's running at 12x speed, so there will be a lot of noise period.

I think the PS3 will be getting a pricedrop sometime soon in the near future. Probably fall I'm guessing. Hopefully down to at least $479, battling against the Elite. :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This was one of my points about the x360 when it was first released, as developers would need to account for 2 different systems and then eventually HD DVD. It's all toooooo PC like, which is something I don't mind, but it's also something I never expected to see on the console front.

<]=)

I don't really see it as a problem. The HDDVD isn't used for games, so developers can ignore it's presence entirely. The HDD should be used for cache space. If it's there, load all the textures and maps you can onto it, and load from there. If it's not then get them from the disc and have (longer) load screens. That's it. Not really a big deal. MS SHOULD have included a HDD with every 360, I agree, but they didn't and I do think part of the reason was to make sure developers didn't rely on it for install space (of course, I'm aslo sure it was mostly to get the cost down/make more money).

Hopefully now that the elite is out they'll release an update which copies the whole game to the hard drive and so they won't need to keep the dvd spinning.

I've only got the 20gb drive and I would use that. There's about 14gb of space left on the HDD after you format it/setup Live/whatever else the 360 system uses, and I can't see needing more than 1gb for save games. I don't use the 360 for any media storage or playback, and if I did it'll be just streaming so I'd only need one or 2 free gigs for buffer. Throw another 2 gigs for demos and XBLA games and I've got 9-10gb of space free which is enough to store one game.

Now, that's not great, but since I tend to play one game most of the time for a large period of time (until I beat it, get bored, get a new game, whatever) it would be great to have 80% of my gaming time be 80% quieter.

Sparky8

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
Oh cool you might want to ring up Virgin Megastores and ask them why no 360 game goes beyond £45 and no PS3 game goes below £45.

If we're playing the online game then get back to me when you find the site that sells new, sealed 360 games for £25 (thanks, ghost of MRU :D ).

Play.com has new sealed Lost Planet for £25.

Even GAME sell ps3 gmes below £45 in store

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
You look at your bank account, then you look at the price of a PS3...

Sony says "yes", your bank account says, "no"...

Oh my talk about being dramatic. It is only $100-$200 more, get over it.

Seriously people, if you want to bash PS3 for lack of games or hardware failures or BBQ lookalikes or whatever, I'm all for it but if you are going to bash PS3 for price stop being ridiculous, hypocritical and be a little more realistic.

The truth is, if you can afford a Wii you can afford a PS3 ESPECIALLY if you are over 16 years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.