Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Ok, I'm just curious how your systems looks like.
Here is mine:

Blue side contain a Xeon with VMware, folding with an virtual Ubuntu; on the green side I have a native Ubuntu with an i7 2600S and GTX 780. I promise the green fans where in before; but they fitting well to the GTX logo inside. Was kind of happy to see that nice I fired up the GTX.

image.jpg

Inside I can't show; my cable management is awful. And sorry for the noisy picture; next time I use a better camera and more light.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Ok, I'm just curious how your systems looks like.
Here is mine:

Blue side contain a Xeon with VMware, folding with an virtual Ubuntu; on the green side I have a native Ubuntu with an i7 2600S and GTX 780. I promise the green fans where in before; but they fitting well to the GTX logo inside. Was kind of happy to see that nice I fired up the GTX.

View attachment 425983

Inside I can't show; my cable management is awful. And sorry for the noisy picture; next time I use a better camera and more light.

I feel like crap looking at this with a macbook pro...
Literally the most powerful tower we have in the house is a pentium 4.. :(

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I feel like crap looking at this with a macbook pro...
Literally the most powerful tower we have in the house is a pentium 4.. :(

an MBP is a good machine!!

and my tower boasts a Celeron G1610 so there you go!

and here's an old pic for entertainment... I never said that cable management was one of my strong suits...

Attachments

• IMG_8500SM.jpg
    IMG_8500SM.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 255

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
very cool!

Thanks! Had a bit of trouble with the pics so I had to replace them... Anyways, back up!

----------

an MBP is a good machine!!

and my tower boasts a Celeron G1610 so there you go!

and here's an old pic for entertainment... I never said that cable management was one of my strong suits...

Yeah but folding on something I use on my lap most of the time = bad idea :D Especially when mine starts hitting around 204 F...

----------

I agree!

I also am not familiar with a 2 mobo case... very interesting!

Quite. Wonder how he managed that!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
It's actually a darker blue in dark light. In bright sunlight it just looks white (but not as "glowy" as standard apples do). :D
Very nice

Wonder how he managed that!
It's a case made for two mobo; two trays to hold the E-ATX boards, two power supply units (one each). Lots of fans.
Not sure if I would do it again this way. While looking like a Borg cube ;) it's a bit pain to shutdown both sides if I just want to change something on one side. I'm too carefully with spinning disks as here is also a virtual NAS on the "blue" side. Or I need to stop playing inside :p

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Thanks! Had a bit of trouble with the pics so I had to replace them... Anyways, back up!

----------

Yeah but folding on something I use on my lap most of the time = bad idea :D Especially when mine starts hitting around 204 F...

----------

Quite. Wonder how he managed that!

glad to hear that you're back up!

well, if we can persuade you to pop a GPU in your PC, your pentium would be more than enough to feed the GPU and you can stop folding on your MBP and your lap will thank you!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
glad to hear that you're back up!

well, if we can persuade you to pop a GPU in your PC, your pentium would be more than enough to feed the GPU and you can stop folding on your MBP and your lap will thank you!

To be completely honest I literally "found out" about folding a few days ago... I had heard stuff like SETI thrown around and knew what it was but it was some forum here that I saw and looked "fah" up. I have access to a 2006 iMac (sig) that no one really uses that I might be able to hook up, but I haven't decided to do much yet.

As for the pentium, it probably has a crazy stupid low spec graphics card in it. Its pretty much built out of random yard sale crap and an old server mobo.

On the off hand, could folding run on an ASIC chip? Like one of those app specific bitcoin chips or something? Just curious at this point...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
To be completely honest I literally "found out" about folding a few days ago... Just curious at this point...

Welcome !
Maybe come over to this thread instead: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1582949/ to keep this one for the RFPS.
No ASICs like bitcoin, the best results right now are created by GPU (AMD and nvidia); but also CPUs are still required and easier to get started with at begin.
Happy to help you getting started. ...

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Very nice

It's a case made for two mobo; two trays to hold the E-ATX boards, two power supply units (one each). Lots of fans.
Not sure if I would do it again this way. While looking like a Borg cube ;) it's a bit pain to shutdown both sides if I just want to change something on one side. I'm too carefully with spinning disks as here is also a virtual NAS on the "blue" side. Or I need to stop playing inside :p

quite a showpiece!

I'm partial to cubes and "black boxes" myself; hence the Corsair Obsidian, (and the Corsair 540 sounds cool too; the Cooler Master HAF XB is functional rather than pretty) but I went with traditional towers a while back and will try to grab a few pics of the current boxes...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
No pictures yet but maybe this weekend I can post some. :D

So far:

2009 Mac pro with about 30-40k ppd [stock machine 24 gigs ram]

In ugly black server box / 980x rig (980x) with 2 Titans (cpu paused) about 300k ppd [all factory clocks] (win 7)

Naked / z87-ws w/ i5-4430 (Titan1) with 2 Titans (cpu paused) unknown yet but probably about 300k ppd [all factory clocks] (win 7)

1 floor drying blower pointed at 980x, 1 fan pointed at Titan1, small floor fan pulling hot air away from 980x and Titan1, box fan pointed at Mac pro

I also have an AMD board that I could put a 480 gpu on, or more Titans:eek:, but no more win 7 keys. Hmmm.

To get: 1 more floor blower to really push the air around gpu's.

Cheers!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
No pictures yet but maybe this weekend I can post some. :D

So far:

2009 Mac pro with about 30-40k ppd [stock machine 24 gigs ram]

In ugly black server box / 980x rig (980x) with 2 Titans (cpu paused) about 300k ppd [all factory clocks] (win 7)

Naked / z87-ws w/ i5-4430 (Titan1) with 2 Titans (cpu paused) unknown yet but probably about 300k ppd [all factory clocks] (win 7)

1 floor drying blower pointed at 980x, 1 fan pointed at Titan1, small floor fan pulling hot air away from 980x and Titan1, box fan pointed at Mac pro

I also have an AMD board that I could put a 480 gpu on, or more Titans:eek:, but no more win 7 keys. Hmmm.

To get: 1 more floor blower to really push the air around gpu's.

Cheers!

yeah! can't wait to see all your rigs spread out and fan-cooled!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I like it!

and I'm amazed that enough air gets to the Titans that are stacked together!

The temps seem to be good with the yellow blower in front and the fan in back pulling hot air away.

it is very crude and UGLY but it works for now... as long as there are no stability issues.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
The temps seem to be good with the yellow blower in front and the fan in back pulling hot air away.

it is very crude and UGLY but it works for now... as long as there are no stability issues.

hey, crude and ugly gets the job done :D

and there's nothing ugly about the points you're pulling down :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.