Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
The temps seem to be good with the yellow blower in front and the fan in back pulling hot air away.

I always thought the fans on the cards were set up to take air from inside the case and direct it out the "back" of the card, where the video connectors are...

do you have it with the air from the Stanley blower going into the "back" of the cards and out the "front"?

----------

Some GPU consolidation ... Put the 780 and 660Ti on one board.

View attachment 428633

that 780 is one seriously long card!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Found a new MB from Asus: P8Z77 Pro. Maybe not the freshest but perfect fit for my i7 2600S.
3 PCI slots, one free to go for Ms. Santa Claus to fill a 780 in ... :p

For fun I tried my first water cooler; not that this i7 really need one but I always wanted to try. For later. This one is a setup for beginner; closed loop Seidon 120M from CoolerMaster.

See the empty white slot ?? :D

image.jpg

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Found a new MB from Asus: P8Z77 Pro. Maybe not the freshest but perfect fit for my i7 2600S.
3 PCI slots, one free to go for Ms. Santa Claus to fill a 780 in ... :p

For fun I tried my first water cooler; not that this i7 really need one but I always wanted to try. For later. This one is a setup for beginner; closed loop Seidon 120M from CoolerMaster.

See the empty white slot ?? :D

View attachment 430745

hey, nice! good spacing for the cards too...

you're heading down a slippery slope with that watercooling -- next thing you'll have waterblocks on the the 780 and 660 -- which would be perfect for reducing the sound of the rig (some sage person pointed out that watercooling is just more efficient and quieter than air cooling but doesn't reduce the amount of heat produced)

sometimes X-mas comes early, doesn't it?

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
3 PCI slots

you got me thinking about an old 3-way SLI board I had housing an old Xeon processor -- more power than the Celeron but could stick another card in there... or so I thought, until I tried it.

Turns out that the 7970s I have are thicker than double-slot cards; they're called 2.5 X cards, so enough space between the first and second slots, but not enough between the second and third. It's an EVGA Mobo, and of course it fits 3 EVGA cards perfectly...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
sometimes X-mas comes early, doesn't it?

my thoughts exactly :)

Turns out that the 7970s I have are thicker than double-slot cards; they're called 2.5 X cards, so enough space between the first and second slots, but not enough between the second and third. It's an EVGA Mobo, and of course it fits 3 EVGA cards perfectly...

that stinks. i hope my 7970 isn't like that. they rig i have it in, the 2nd slot is no good anyways, so i guess it doesn't matter for me right now. but if i ever try to move it or something

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Ok, I'm just curious how your systems looks like.
Here is mine:

Blue side contain a Xeon with VMware, folding with an virtual Ubuntu; on the green side I have a native Ubuntu with an i7 2600S and GTX 780. I promise the green fans where in before; but they fitting well to the GTX logo inside. Was kind of happy to see that nice I fired up the GTX.

View attachment 425983

Inside I can't show; my cable management is awful. And sorry for the noisy picture; next time I use a better camera and more light.

WOW it's like nerd p0rn :)

I am soooo envious - thats the kind of setup I can only ever dream of. :( unless I win the lottery in which case I would definitely have multiple servers just for folding. /sigh

...dream on rachel, it's never gonna happen.....

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

I am soooo envious - thats the kind of setup I can only ever dream of. :( unless I win the lottery in which case I would definitely have multiple servers just for folding. /sigh

...dream on rachel, it's never gonna happen.....

me too -- and same position.

keep buying those tickets though -- beats being hit by lightning!

Louis

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本

I am soooo envious - thats the kind of setup I can only ever dream of. :( unless I win the lottery in which case I would definitely have multiple servers just for folding.

Thanks, but really a soft version from my side; looking into 4 Titan from whiterabbit or some fancy setup over in [H] forum keeps me dreaming, too.

And oh yeah: with support of some winning lottery ticket I also would build a hell of a monster folder rack: multiple Xeon 4P systems and some GPU folder. To make my power company happy :)

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Thanks, but really a soft version from my side; looking into 4 Titan from whiterabbit or some fancy setup over in [H] forum keeps me dreaming, too.

And oh yeah: with support of some winning lottery ticket I also would build a hell of a monster folder rack: multiple Xeon 4P systems and some GPU folder. To make my power company happy :)

I actually sat and drew up plans once as to setting up a server room (in my modest house of course) and using the A/C exhaust to supply heat to the underfloor in winter :)

I think it took me about a week to draft the plans - just in case lol

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I actually sat and drew up plans once as to setting up a server room (in my modest house of course) and using the A/C exhaust to supply heat to the underfloor in winter :)

I think it took me about a week to draft the plans - just in case lol

I'm not nearly ambitious as you -- right now I'm moving rigs from the basement to the living room :D

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
My Gaming / play render system that sits at home churning away.

Just a GTX 650 GPU at the moment, but looking to add something more robust soon, depending on reviews and prices of new gear.

photo.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.