Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve pulled some comments from from some other threads to support this topic.

Whereas I always think about romance in RPGs are more of a math problem - get enough '+' and about too many '-' and you win the prize - Jaheira! Unless it is Alpha Protocol, in which case where you have one 'real' romance and a couple of 'chance encounters' ... which is also cool. (especially since one of the chance encounters can cost you the real romance if you didn't do everything else right!)

@txa1265 Based on your suggestion in the The Outer Worlds thread, I stopped by Steam and looked at the older Buldur’s gate titles and isometric just won’t suffice for me these days, However, Builder’s Gate 3 looks like there is real possibility there, after the price comes down. :)

Ref: Romancing a character In a video game-

The first time I ran into it, romancing a companion* was in Fallout 4 and there there was not much to it, but I enjoyed companions who without any real effort on your part besides helping them with a personal issue, grew to like you and approved or disapporved of your actions, with no real consequence. The perfect relationship, lol. ;)

* I remember getting married in Skyrim, another Bethesda game but don’t remember much of a romance requirement in that game, and there your spouse stayed home, while you were out dealing with weighty issues.

As I liked my female companions (F4), but I was initially worried if I told one to go home, they would dump me, but this was not the case. The most nifty was getting a buff for sleeping with them along with the occasional saucy comment (especially from Cait) about only what you could imagine. :D I enjoyed it when a companion would ask for help and confide in me and I could help them, as it made me feel good at least within the confines of the game setting. Now In Outer Worlds, Parvati is asking me to help her romance someone else which I’m happy to do, but it does not have the same luster. :)

Cyberpunk’s romance options mostly consist of supporting a character‘s position during disagreements with a third party, and helping them with conflict in their lives. These quests IMO were really well constructed, some of the best social time I’ve spent with a scripted character, but only as realistic feeling as scripted can be. The best aspect of romance in Cyberpunk, was how you could briefly go and actually spend time with a person just to be with them as I think of the Exploring The Old Neighborhood Quest with Judy Alvarez or go have dinner with River Ward’s family and play a laser tag game of sorts with his nephews.This was innovative and a first.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
@txa1265 Based on your suggestion in the The Outer Worlds thread, I stopped by Steam and looked at the older Buldur’s gate titles and isometric just won’t suffice for me these days, However, Builder’s Gate 3 looks like there is real possibility there, after the price comes down. :)
Totally understand that ... those games were less than 5 years old when I played them (ironically after NWN & KotOR) so that didn't bother me at all. And as a result I am fine still with anything from that period and style.

Reactions: Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Well this is a thread I didn't know I'd be reading today

I'm guessing you haven't played Mass Effect? People love Mass Effect's romance options

Reactions: txa1265

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I loved the original, there was romance? I’m getting old… :oops:

So you only played ME1 and not the rest of the trilogy? You can't just play one Mass Effect game, you gotta play the entire trilogy for the full effect, as your choices you make in previous games carry over to the next entry, which is how you form deeper bonds with your teammates. (Tali is best girl just FYI and I will fite you if you disagree)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'm guessing you haven't played Mass Effect? People love Mass Effect's romance options

Must have been on another thread ... definitely also like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age romance options. I also like how upset one character can get if you have been friendly and encouraging and then romance another character 🤣

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
So you only played ME1 and not the rest of the trilogy? You can't just play one Mass Effect game, you gotta play the entire trilogy for the full effect, as your choices you make in previous games carry over to the next entry, which is how you form deeper bonds with your teammates. (Tali is best girl just FYI and I will fite you if you disagree)

And fortunately they all play wonderfully on Steam Deck! I took a break from replaying Mass Effect 2 to play Tears of the Kingdom, need to get back to it! I also love Miranda ... but that is just because it is Yvonne Strahowski (love her in Handmaid's Tale and wife and I are watching Chuck for first time now!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played ME1 when it was on disk, I’m certain there is no trace of it left on my computer. I’d have to start over, obviously. 🤔

Must have been on another thread ... definitely also like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age romance options. I also like how upset one character can get if you have been friendly and encouraging and then romance another character 🤣
Dragon Age romance? I played that too but don’t remember anything significant… Don’t mind me, this could be old age talking :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've played some games with romance built in, and while it proved to be an interesting dynamic, I'm not really sold on it as a feature.

I have no idea of how much demand there is, of this in open world RPG games but it does seem to be something that is put into the game. Fallout 4 gives you some short term buffs. I forget if Mass Effect buffs your character if you enable romance.

I've been spending time in Outer Worlds (did you know outer worlds 2 is rumored to be in the works) and I can safely say that I never thought - gee, it would be nice to have a romance dynamic. That's just me however maybe my game play and preferences are not typical

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I played ME1 when it was on disk, I’m certain there is no trace of it left on my computer. I’d have to start over, obviously. 🤔

Well it's a good thing playing the Mass Effect Trilogy is as easy and accessible as ever with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, available on Xbox, PS4/5, Steam, and Nintendo Switch, and is on sale right now for 75% off! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328670/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/

Contains all three games remastered to Unreal Engine 4, with improved graphics, better lip sync and more fluid animations, and containing all the DLC. With all three games accessible in one it's easier than ever to play this legendary trilogy.

Reactions: txa1265 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well it's a good thing playing the Mass Effect Trilogy is as easy and accessible as ever with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, available on Xbox, PS4/5, Steam, and Nintendo Switch, and is on sale right now for 75% off! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328670/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/

Contains all three games remastered to Unreal Engine 4, with improved graphics, better lip sync and more fluid animations, and containing all the DLC. With all three games accessible in one it's easier than ever to play this legendary trilogy.
SOLD! :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

Dragon Age romance? I played that too but don’t remember anything significant… Don’t mind me, this could be old age talking :(

Agree with @Spaceboi Scaphandre on the Mass Effect Legendary - it is really well done, works great for me on Steam Deck and EA hasn't managed to completely mess it up with the launcher. I owned them individually on Origin but grabbed the Legendary edition on Steam and am slowly working my way through!

Dragon Age (origins) has four main romance options that work off of dialog triggers as well as influence-gaining actions. You can even have 'love triangles' (and possibly quadrangles!) by gaining positive ratings with multiple people ... but eventually you have to choose. I know Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition have romance but it has been much longer since I played them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've played some games with romance built in, and while it proved to be an interesting dynamic, I'm not really sold on it as a feature.

I have no idea of how much demand there is, of this in open world RPG games but it does seem to be something that is put into the game. Fallout 4 gives you some short term buffs. I forget if Mass Effect buffs your character if you enable romance.

I've been spending time in Outer Worlds (did you know outer worlds 2 is rumored to be in the works) and I can safely say that I never thought - gee, it would be nice to have a romance dynamic. That's just me however maybe my game play and preferences are not typical
This is my angle, I have enjoyed the implication of romance in games , because it pulls me into the story, as shallow and unrealistic as it is, it gives me within the game’s realm a compartmented connection to another character. Part of this comfort is functioning within a conflict and having an indestructible partner whom in real life, you‘d be able to confide in (even if imagined) but also have no fear of their death, so it is a fantasy, but enjoyable. Early in Fallout 4 when I thought a companion had died, I was sad, but wrote her off. It was not until I knew she was indestructible that I psychologically moved towards the idea of a relationship within the games setting.

That said, when I stand on a balcony overlooking Night City (Cyberpunk 2077) watching a city street teaming with life, I then think about the huge ramification of AI driven characters. Approach anyone on the street and talk about the weather or whatever topic might spark their AI interest, I can only image what types of conversations you might be able have with them, the variety, and what kind of feelings a player might develop towards a character in a fictional game, even if it is compartmentalized.

Can you imagine interacting with a character who can provide something other than scripted conversations in a game setting? I tend to get immersed in the games I play and AI represents a milestone that is both thrilling and a little scary. To be clear, I’m not worried about falling in love with a game character, but then I think about when androids arrive who can serve as human companions. The world will change, AI in games will be part of this. 🤔

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That said, when I stand on a balcony overlooking Night City (Cyberpunk 2077)
I've not really played cyberpunk that much especially lately - so is there romance in that game? Since the game is solo without any companions AFAIK (after the first section) how would that work?

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I've not really played cyberpunk that much especially lately - so is there romance in that game? Since the game is solo without any companions AFAIK (after the first section) how would that work?

There are four main romances (basically a gender quadrant diagram) and a few 'sexcapades' available. For the romances it is pretty standard in terms of doing stuff they ask and like and dialog choices, and then actively choosing to pursue a relationship.

It is different in that you aren't constantly with this person so you need to choose to interact with them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are four main romances
Thanks for the info - this must have been added on, I don't think the original release had this. When it first came out, that was the most I played. I think I got past the first chapter. Since then I picked the game up a couple of times but it never really drew me in

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cyberpunk 2077- Spoilerish if you've not played the game.
There are companions with romantic connections, as far as you helping a significant character though a quest chain, something important to their lives that turns into a romance. No they are not dedicated to staying by your side for the rest of the game, but you can make a romantic and physical sexual connection with them which also comes to play at the end of the story. There might be others, but I'm not sure. Edit: See link at bottom.

Panam- Hetro girl, you've got to be a guy for romance, but she can become a close friend regardless of your gender. Whether you are her boyfriend or just a friend, if you've established yourself with her clan, they will come assist you at the end of the game.

Judy Alverez- Gay girl. You've got to be a girl, and if you help her find her missing friend, she will invite you over on a date to explore her old neighborhood and more.

River Ward- Cop. You've got to be girl. You help him find his missing nephew and he'll invite you over for dinner and more. I imagine the invite for dinner will stand if you have befriended him as a male character. Even if you do the horizontal mambo with him, you can still back out of the relationship if you are shooting for Judy.

Becareful with the end of the game. Short version my opinion: pick Aldecaldos and separately "I want to Live". :D
You want PanAm's group to help you, so when Misty takes you to the roof to make a decision and a phone call, you want the Aldecaldos/PanAm and even though you may have Takemura as a friend (if you saved him) , do not pick the Corporate Ending. You want to head for the showdown with Adam Smasher with the Adecaldos helping you. And when your involved with Alt Cunningham, in the ether to see Johnny Silverhand let him stay there with his girlfriend and you come back, or you miss out on the best ending of being with your romantic partner leaving the area with the Aldecaldos.

Venture forth into spoiler land: :D

Last edited:
Reactions: txa1265

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the info - this must have been added on, I don't think the original release had this. When it first came out, that was the most I played. I think I got past the first chapter. Since then I picked the game up a couple of times but it never really drew me in
I think they were there as I played the game early on.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4

I think they were there as I played the game early on.
The romance sections of CP-2077 were there from the initial release. I played and completed the game within the first few weeks of release.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and txa1265

Queen6

macrumors G4
Kind of the mind if romance and let's face it sexual encounters fit the storyline then I have no problem. On the other hand if simply placed for shock value or mindless titillation I have little to no interest. I think one of the better developed "romance" paths is in Witcher 3. Less said the better as involves heavy spoilers, but can get very interesting depending on how you play out the scenarios ;)

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I had no idea, I guess it not being something I'm interested or looking for, I missed it completely.
Shame I kind of like your alter ego. Sense a lack of humour on MR these days :( Steve Jobs was a real piece of work yet he too saw the funny side of life.

Nothing wrong with a little banter here and there or as I would say the Craic. Dull is well plainly dull...

Q-6

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.