Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Yep, and that's why I agree with Gamer Nexus - the 3090 cost too much and you don't need that much vram. The Ti cost more then the 3080 and yet isn't giving you a good enough performance boost to justify the cost.

Absolutely, like Linus said, the xx80 Ti series has never been "best bang for the buck". I've never felt like Nvidia's GPUs higher than the xx80 series was a good value.

Clearly if you have a 3080 or can get one before they are all gone (lol) go for that, but as it stand nvidia isn't making them anymore so if you want a 3080 card your choice is just the Ti. If you want "3080" performance you can wait till Thursday and get a 3070Ti which should be close enough.

I actually wonder if they are going to bring out Super series cards towards the end of the year.

Nvidia isn't making 3080s anymore?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Yeah, but from a gamer perspective, that 24GB VRAM is overkill. That's more for the professional customer.

I hope people aren't just buying $1K+ GPUs for gaming only. My approach is productivity 1st and gaming 2nd. 24GB is more versatile for machine learning, GPU compute, CAD/CAM, isn't hash limited for mining to recoup cost, etc. and therefore has higher resale street value.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I hope people aren't just buying $1K+ GPUs for gaming only. My approach is productivity 1st and gaming 2nd. 24GB is more versatile for machine learning, GPU compute, CAD/CAM, isn't hash limited for mining to recoup cost, etc. and therefore has higher resale street value.

I agree. The productivity component needs to be there first and foremost otherwise the only reason for having a 3090 is just bragging rights.....I guess.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Absolutely, like Linus said, the xx80 Ti series has never been "best bang for the buck". I've never felt like Nvidia's GPUs higher than the xx80 series was a good value.

Nvidia isn't making 3080s anymore?
My bad, from what I am seeing nvidia will no longer be selling non-LHR 3080's so they are not making 3080FE cards anymore. My understanding is that the FE cards are the only ones that will not be hashrate limited.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
For people complaining about price/performance ratio of the new 3080 Ti, you don't actually have to buy it. You can still buy the 3070 or 3080.

It's not a mass market card.

Nvidia can make the 3080Ti cost $1500 and it'd still sell out. The market is insanely imbalanced right now. Can't blame Nvidia.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
For people complaining about price/performance ratio of the new 3080 Ti, you don't actually have to buy it. You can still buy the 3070 or 3080.

It's not a mass market card.

Nvidia can make the 3080Ti cost $1500 and it'd still sell out. The market is insanely imbalanced right now. Can't blame Nvidia.
Umm, where? I would love to have a 3070. Point me in a direction.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Okay username checks out. :D Now a REAL direction. For a $499 card, I am even willing to pay $749, but come on. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Don't, unless you really, really need the card. I guess prices will drop to reasonable levels next year, so if you can hold out wait. I've seen a few cards come and go locally recently, but in any case still in four-figure range. Market is a mess right now.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Don't, unless you really, really need the card. I guess prices will drop to reasonable levels next year, so if you can hold out wait. I've seen a few cards come and go locally recently, but in any case still in four-figure range. Market is a mess right now.
By then the GPU after Ampere is coming (Hopper?) may as well wait, lol.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Fixed it for you. ;)
You can still buy what? Lol

Umm, where? I would love to have a 3070. Point me in a direction.
This was my whole point. Nvidia can set the 3080 Ti to any price and they still wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand. If I worked at Nvidia, I would have set the MSRP at $1500. ;)

Why blame Nvidia for making the correct business decision? Why set the MSRP lower than what it is when you know there are a lot more people willing to pay more for it?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Productivity 1st then gaming is my approach also. I do more photography/video editing/content creation work on my computer than gaming, but it isn't the reason why I bought a 3090. When I was looking for a graphics card last year, I wanted a 3080... and I thought that would be fine for me. Then I got into VR gaming, and some games are already pushing 10gb vram. If that's the trend of future VR games, then 8 and 10gb is close to being obsolete... which isn't new in PC gaming... LOL. I wasn't thrilled paying msrp for a 3090 at the time (actually lower than msrp, since msrp prices increased), but I'm still happy with my purchase... considering how hard is to buy a card, and how much people are willing to spend on 3090's today.
I agree. The productivity component needs to be there first and foremost otherwise the only reason for having a 3090 is just bragging rights.....I guess.
Maybe for some... but I didn't buy my 3090 for this reason. I went to Microcenter (1 and 1/2 hours drive) hoping to buy a 3080 for me. 1st day I went, they only had 3070's... so I bought it since my 13 year old gave me money to buy a 3070 if they had one. 2nd day I went... I was hoping to buy a 3080, but they only had 3090's. I wasn't going home empty handed, so that was my reason for buying a 3090. Microcenter seems to have GPU drops every time I go there. Went to exchange a monitor under warranty not to long ago, and they had both RTX 30 and AMD 6000 series cards. I talked to people that were in line, and they basically were happy just to buy a card... even if it isn't the card they were hoping to buy. This is the reality of buying GPU's today... hope it get's better in the future.

Reactions: TopherMan12

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'll skip the Ti for sure and agree with most reviewers but I fall in to my own section and don't rely on them first to help make any purchase decisions.
I do enjoy watching Jay probably the most, Steve gets a bit long-winded and puts me to sleep. Paul next, BitWit I unsubscribed and blocked the channel completely because I didn't care for his particular videos, LTT just create tons of interesting videos.

All that being said, I jumped early on my cards and got the 3090 Founders initially for my wife's system. KingPin 3090 for mine and 3080 FTW3 for my sons that he doesn't know about .....yet. He get's to try that out for the first time in a couple weeks when we get back from grandpa's.

I would like to get a 6800-6900xt to be able to Opencore Hackintosh with my current machine but I am all GPU'd out in terms of want or care.

Microcenter is too far to casually drive to on a whim and I am too old to want to sit in a line on a 'maybe'.

Interesting before actual release my intention was 3080 and 3070 and done. Availability and stubburnness pushed me the ways I went.

Am hoping supply catches up somehow by end of year but we'll see, maybe another major bitcoin crash to help that along. Lots of friends are looking and I'd like to see them get something they want soon. GL all.

Reactions: max2

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
You should see the rest of my specs.

Thread ripper 3960x and 128gb ram says hello (I do photography and code as well)

3090 user too

Reactions: max2

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
By then the GPU after Ampere is coming (Hopper?) may as well wait, lol.
True. Hopper is the pro cards and Lovelace the consumer ones from what I remember. I think prices will be much higher again next time. Everyone was surprised by the relatively cheap retail prices of the 30x0 series, I doubt Nvidia will make that mistake again. Until then I’ll hold on to my old rusty Titan RTX in my home PC and the RTX8000 in my Dell office system. Wish I could drop Nvidia, but there’s no way out for me.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
True. Hopper is the pro cards and Lovelace the consumer ones from what I remember. I think prices will be much higher again next time. Everyone was surprised by the relatively cheap retail prices of the 30x0 series, I doubt Nvidia will make that mistake again. Until then I’ll hold on to my old rusty Titan RTX in my home PC and the RTX8000 in my Dell office system. Wish I could drop Nvidia, but there’s no way out for me.
Yeah the GPU pricing is creeping up, especially considering how big these dies are. At some point nvidia will have to come out with entry level replacement cards with HWRT support. Unless they plan on letting Intel take that spot (still hearing mixed things on DG2).

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Hope you got the Founders Edition or EVGA 3080ti. Others are way overpriced and GPU market is showing signs of crashing.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Hope you got the Founders Edition or EVGA 3080ti. Others are way overpriced and GPU market is showing signs of crashing.
The EVGA FTW3 Ultra.

I typically stay with the FE cards or EVGA when possible.

Now I get to try out the new Optimus water block. I think I am more excited about that than the card itself.

Self proclaimed hardware nerd here.

Reactions: erayser

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
The EVGA FTW3 Ultra.

I typically stay with the FE cards or EVGA when possible.

Now I get to try out the new Optimus water block. I think I am more excited about that than the card itself.

Self proclaimed hardware nerd here.
Custom watercooling loops are addicting. Over a decade of custom loops builds, I convinced myself to just use a AIO and GPU on air on my latest build. After a few months of looking at temps on my evga ftw3 3090, I looked into water blocks... and EK were my go to blocks. At the time EK blocks were bricking 3080's and 3090's... EK blaming users and EVGA, but EVGA kept quiet, and RMA'd all cards that were bricked after installing the block... EVGA has top notch support. EK determined it could have been a few standoffs were too wide, and changed the standoffs what were smaller in diameter. The whole situation turned my off with EK. Because of that, I just installed a EVGA Hybrid Cooler... basically a AIO liquid cooler replacement shroud. I'm okay with my current setup, but that Optimus water block is tempting... That is one good looking block. Congrats on your 3080ti!!!

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
And I have that EK block on my sons 3080 FTW3 and he plays it like every time is the last time he'll ever see it again.

I'll tell you one thing .... that Optimus FTW3 block is CHUNKY. In a good way.
With that block and XL backplate there is no way it won't sag without an anti-sag bracket.

I am patiently waiting on Optimus's K|NGP|N block. The EVGA hydrocopper block is not what I am used to when it comes to wc. I don't care to bash on them in detail but this was the final hydrocopper waterblock I purchase, ever.

Looking to get the 3080 Ti with Optimus plumbed in tomorrow and see how it does. I'll snap a couple pictures in a bit. She's so girthy.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
All I did tonight was a few runs on Overwatch. 4K, Maxed and the card never really went much over 29C, may have hit 30 even once or twice.
Idles around 23-24C.
Not much gaming to be had, a lot of family in town visiting so a little late night tinkering is about all i'll get until Tuesday or so.

Deciding to let it mine for a couple hours to really saturate the loop at it has been holding a steady 37-38C pegged out 100% load, memory 1100 over.

Memory is showing around 40-42C and power at 35C.
IMG_0654.jpeg

Card, Block, and backplate right at 34.6mm.
IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0656.jpeg

This was on Windows 11 at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.