Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beauchampboiler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Hello there,

I'm trying to get smooth playback of 25/50fps BBC iPlayer content on my 27'' iMac, currently used as the main 'TV' in the house (I live in the U.K.). I used a program called SwitchResX to define a profile of 2560 x 1440 @ 50Hz and set Kodi to change refresh rates to match content. At first, this all appeared to work perfectly with Kodi automatically switching from 60 to 50Hz when watching iPlayer content, which improved the smoothness considerably.

However, after exciting Kodi I noticed a slight but noticable flicker when on the login screen, (even though the screen was presumably back in 60Hz mode). This mostly went away after a restart.

I've already got this working on my Windows PC, but this has an external monitor. As my iMac's screen is internal, I am concerned that it may be damaged by running it at a lower than intended refresh rate. It would be great if someone with knowledge about iMacs and/or LCD screens in general could tell if there is any danger in doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.