Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I am cautiously optimistic, in the sense that in the short term anything seems better than DPReview evaporating.

But Gear Patrol does seem to be pretty uncritical in their reviews. Some of it sounds like outright shilling. I can see a scenario where the essential quality of DPReview is watered down.

My interest was always more on user interchanges in the forums, not on reviews from the site itself; there are a lot of other review sites available so I didn't view it as critical.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My interest was always more on user interchanges in the forums, not on reviews from the site itself; there are a lot of other review sites available so I didn't view it as critical.
I agree with this assessment, though I will say DPReview was consistently reliable for unbiased quality reviews for its original run. I always enjoyed reading them and I am at least very pleased that this back catalog of reviews and information is remaining, I sure hope the new owners will never attempt to clear the site's history.

For what it's worth I remember having some great discussions about Apple hardware on DPReview forums, mostly about screens and calibration for color accuracy on Cinema Displays/iMacs back when. There was really a variety of topics on that forum and it was always helpful.

Reactions: Dutch60 and sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I agree with this assessment, though I will say DPReview was consistently reliable for unbiased quality reviews for its original run. I always enjoyed reading them and I am at least very pleased that this back catalog of reviews and information is remaining, I sure hope the new owners will never attempt to clear the site's history.

For what it's worth I remember having some great discussions about Apple hardware on DPReview forums, mostly about screens and calibration for color accuracy on Cinema Displays/iMacs back when. There was really a variety of topics on that forum and it was always helpful.

Yeah, there were a number of knowledgeable people in the forums with very useful inputs. And not much snark, either.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd never heard of "gear patrol" until the announcement a day or two back.

Did amazon sell the dpreview assets to GP?
Or dpreview continue as a sort of joint venture between amazon and GP?

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I'd never heard of "gear patrol" until the announcement a day or two back.

Did amazon sell the dpreview assets to GP?
Or dpreview continue as a sort of joint venture between amazon and GP?
I think this article from 2 days ago pretty much answers that question.

Overall sounds encouraging but over the past 20 or so years I've learned to judge not by what someone says but what they do. For that we'll have to wait and see.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
A morning post to Digital Photography Review (DPReview.com) says that the site, which has been around for decades as an authoritative resource for photographers, will be closing.

I always went to DPR for information about just-released gear, to compare camera bodies and lenses, to talk with other photographers. Sad news.

Me thinks the title needs updating now

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I joined them in 2005 and the site got me started in hobby photography. The reviews were also in depth and guided me well to body and lens purchases. Very glad they're not folding.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.