Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Site still up “content will remain available as an archive”

c254f081e94e615665b7c90c24fbde5b.jpg

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have to admit that I'm confused not only that the site is still active, but they are also getting gear ahead of release for reviews...
I think their closing announcement mentioned that they would continue producing some content (likely pieces that were already in the pipeline) while they prepared to archive the site.

So maybe that’s what we’re seeing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Reactions: mollyc

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It is weird, and all the language referencing the closing has been removed. Or at least moved to a hard to find spot, because I can't find it anymore.
Even if they had had a change of heart, you'd think it would make the news though. But we can live in hope. Maybe a buyer has stepped forward but as its not gone through yet they have insisted the site stays functioning at some level at least.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Probably the reviewers already had a Z8 in hand and would have had for a while now, so of course since the site is still open at this point, people are reading and posting in it still, they'd go ahead and use the material they have. It is more than likely that their impressions have been accumulated and compiled during the time they've had that camera body in hand. So why wouldn't they go ahead and publish their thoughts, comments on the pros and cons of that camera plus presenting the inevitable comparisons with the two cameras between which it sits?

As for the possibility that DPR will remain alive and kicking, that is what most participants have been hoping, and the longer the site has been functioning the more likely it is that something is going on behind the scenes. A new buyer? A change of heart on the part of Amazon? Something else? It was quite clear by the reaction and uproar at the time of the initial announcement of the site closing that many, many people were truly dismayed and upset by the news. I don't think Amazon or actually anyone else had realized just how significant an impact DPR has had through the years, both as a site for news, information, comparisons and reviews of new gear and as a large and active discussion forum which itself contains a lot of photographic history....

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Probably the reviewers already had a Z8 in hand and would have had for a while now, so of course since the site is still open at this point, people are reading and posting in it still, they'd go ahead and use the material they have. It is more than likely that their impressions have been accumulated and compiled during the time they've had that camera body in hand. So why wouldn't they go ahead and publish their thoughts, comments on the pros and cons of that camera plus presenting the inevitable comparisons with the two cameras between which it sits?
I'm not sure they would have had it that far in advance. Thats not how it works generally. Six weeks would be far too long to give a site a product to review. Two weeks before is more like it.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
You think they've had a Z8 for six weeks? Isn't that kind of far in advance, even for a demo model? And even when their main reviewers have already gone to a different company?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I’d like to think Amazon changed their minds, but in the absence of further news I have to assume this content is just whatever they were working on, or had already planned, when the shutdown was announced.

But of course I’d love to be wrong.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I'm not sure they would have had it that far in advance. Thats not how it works generally. Six weeks would be far too long to give a site a product to review. Two weeks before is more like it.
Actually, I downloaded a sample image from DPR and the exif says it was taken on January 18, so I guess they have had the camera longer than I would have anticipated. But the timestamp on this is clearly wrong, so maybe the date is too.

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 3.58.16 PM.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Actually, I downloaded a sample image from DPR and the exif says it was taken on January 18, so I guess they have had the camera longer than I would have anticipated. But the timestamp on this is clearly wrong, so maybe the date is too.

View attachment 2200315
More likely they never set the date on the camera. No way Nikon would let a sample camera be in the hands of a reviewer for 5 months.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
More likely they never set the date on the camera. No way Nikon would let a sample camera be in the hands of a reviewer for 5 months.
Good point, and I agree. Plus looking through the other photos, there are leaves on the trees other spring flowers, indicating sometime in the past few weeks.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Now more importantly, are you getting one? I ordered some this morning, but sadly just for the place where I work!
Nope, I have no need or desire. My Z6ii easily keeps up with high school lacrosse and I get more keepers than I know what to do with! If I'm not shooting swim or lacrosse, my needs are quite slow and film, manual focus lenses, and medium format keeps me busy. 🙂

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nope, I have no need or desire. My Z6ii easily keeps up with high school lacrosse and I get more keepers than I know what to do with! If I'm not shooting swim or lacrosse, my needs are quite slow and film, manual focus lenses, and medium format keeps me busy. 🙂
I have to say looking at the specs, I really don't see why you'd choose a Z9 over a Z8. They are almost identical. Think I'll stick with my D750. Even with my staff discount I won't be buying any new cameras or lenses for a while.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Oh, let's not turn this into a Z8 thread! Not the point of my comment, and in fact I didn't even mention which camera was reviewed..If you want to chat about the Z8, please make a new thread....still focused on the alleged dpreview closing here. 🙂

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why not? A pre-production camera body? They would want their Ambassadors, plus other professionals, skilled amateurs, reviewers to have hands-on experiences with a new body to catch any glitches or problems before actually putting the thing into production, wouldn't they?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I could see an ambassador or someone being paid by Nikon (or XYZ company) having a pre-production model earlier, but not just a review website.

And again, those photos on dpreview were not taken in January, despite the time stamp; it's clearly mid-spring based on the foliage.

An F-stoppers reviewer had a Z9 for two weeks about a month before it was announced. I find it highly implausible that dpreview had a Nikon camera months in advance.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why not? A pre-production camera body? They would want their Ambassadors, plus other professionals, skilled amateurs, reviewers to have hands-on experiences with a new body to catch any glitches or problems before actually putting the thing into production, wouldn't they?
Staff and ambassadors yes. But not independent reviewers. They would only get something for a short period a few weeks before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.