Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I know this is asking a lot, but I hope those who visited the site with their adblockers on will have a moment of reflection. Content isn't free, and there's an eventual cost to having too many free riders.

RIP DPReview, the original and best. Hopefully the Web Archive can preserve its content to some degree.
If I enjoy a moment of reflection it won’t involve the internet.

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Per reddit post: Once archived, the entire site will be made available for anyone to browse on the internet archive. The entire .WARC will also be made available for anyone to download and view locally with a .WARC viewer such as Web Replay — this allows you to download the site and view it locally forever. You will be able to download the .WARC file from here once complete.

Need a special viewer to 'view' the archived site?
How will this content be found?

-----

This fellow has a good take on the shutting down of DPReview.

I'm not gonna wait for that, so I'm downloading the site right now.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Saddened to hear this. Always a wonderful website, and remained splendidly simple up to today. I enjoyed the reviews and forum discussions for many years. I'm further saddened that they will not bother with making the site read-only and instead shutter the whole thing. More reasons for my growing dislike of Amazon; though at this point I doubt anyone who was involved with Amazon's acquisition still has a say in keeping it open. It was suits who never batted an eye before.

The Internet becomes less vibrant with time instead of more, and it is a great shame.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Sheesh.

Even a robber baron like Andrew Carnegie had the class to open thousands of libraries.Stanford? a university. Bezos? [cue crickets...].

Rather sad that someone who gained so much from the internet can't be bothered to at least preserve an important corner of it. Shows a lot about his lack of character.

Nick on the Baltic

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2023
Just today I read a post on DPR about on- and off-camera mics that gave me an insight into a subject that is new to me. So much knowledge has been freely shared over the years there; so sad to see it go.

It's not just Amazon - it's symptomatic of the way the internet is effectively becoming the fiefdom of a few giant corporations.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, I've really gotten to trust them over the years. I've never really gotten into their forums but their reviews were always really thorough and genuine. Sorry to see them go.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I see today that as part of their cost-cutting, Amazon is shuttering the UK-based Book Depository that it bought in 2011. These closures show the real problem of big companies buying the smaller entities - they are sideshows to them and easy targets when cutting costs. They don't care a wit about the businesses or their clientele because they are small.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
sad but true, worse yet those of us in rural areas sometimes have no other choice.
I am in that boat. There are sometimes hard choices to make - buy less and / or pay more.

But you have to factor the wider, harder-to-quantify costs of doing business with Amazon into that. If I get a set of speakers for $30 less at Amazon plus free shipping, BUT their employees are dying of heatstroke in their warehouses, and they are absorbing and eventually killing businesses and websites I like...that's part of the cost of those speakers. Am I OK with that?

Maybe paying more at B&H or a local store (when available), or simply buying less stuff sometimes, is not such a bad alternative, really. Reward the vendors with a less sketchy business model. I certainly don't feel good about giving Amazon any money...that in itself is part of the cost of doing business with them.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
California
Maybe paying more at B&H or a local store (when available), or simply buying less stuff sometimes, is not such a bad alternative, really.
If you want to shop at places that treat their workers well - especially warehouse workers - then keep looking. B&H has had to settle discrimination complaints with the Department of Labor over treatment of their warehouse workers and others.

When we shop, we all make our own decisions, moral and otherwise, as you noted. I have not shopped at B&H for years because of their practices. Other places, such as Roberts Camera and Adorama, don't have the same history of problematic labor issues, so I shop there instead. And as you noted, the local store has earned my faith as well.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If you want to shop at places that treat their workers well - especially warehouse workers - then keep looking. B&H has had to settle discrimination complaints with the Department of Labor over treatment of their warehouse workers and others.

When we shop, we all make our own decisions, moral and otherwise, as you noted. I have not shopped at B&H for years because of their practices. Other places, such as Roberts Camera and Adorama, don't have the same history of problematic labor issues, so I shop there instead. And as you noted, the local store has earned my faith as well.
Very good point - which raises the question whether any of the larger merchants treat their warehouse employees fairly at present. I have used Adorama especially and mean to shop there more. I try as much as possible to shop locally, even if it means paying higher prices. It's true that sometimes local markup is just so high (50%+) over the internet that it's hard to justify.

I know B&H has had issues too. The painful reality is that it is rare to find a vendor that is totally unproblematic. I live in a small town, and some of the local business owners are openly obnoxious people. It's just as hard to give them my money as Amazon.

We all have to make choices when buying things. Though, to get back to the main point of the thread, Amazon is so big now they can absorb pretty much anything that gains their attention. Which puts them in a special class of awful.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Making a choice in buying benefits your morals and ethics. The public, of course imo, is going to purchase what they consider the best deal, maybe not aware or daily caring about working conditions of the employees. Recently saw a video of John Oliver exposing the poor treatment field farm pickers endure. Probably not many think of this when buying their veggies.

Jhieminga

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Why You Should Care About The Demise of DPReview

It's a good summary of how we got to this point. Several years ago a large enthusiasts forum was 'revamped' by a publishing giant, causing thousands of posts and images to be lost, years and years of data was just thrown out. One argument is: it's their playground, they pay the bill, they can do with it as they want. Another argument (mine): for years we entrusted this company/entity/call it what you want with our shared expertise and the fruits of our work (in text and images). The company has betrayed this trust by throwing out all this data. By accepting all this work, I think they do have an obligation to look after it. The same thing goes for Amazon and DRPreview. We send books to libraries so that they can look after them, making sure that the knowledge in it is preserved. Why is it different when it's digital? I'm not saying we should preserve everything that gets posted everywhere, but if a resource has been growing for 23 years, surely it deserves a bit more consideration.

It looks as if the site will be visible for a bit longer and there are several sites trying to preserve what is there... but it's the original decision just to close the site down that was wrong. It's no less wrong today.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
One argument is: it's their playground, they pay the bill, they can do with it as they want.
Property and business are sacred. The idea that a broader group of people can claim a moral stake or ownership in that property is totally devalued.

Of course, in the case of DPReview, the uniqueness and informational value of the site had nothing intellectually to do with Amazon. They bought it, presumably to try and make money, bankrolled it for awhile, but appear to not have known what to do with it ultimately...so they destroyed it. Let that sequence of events sink in for a bit.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.