Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several users noted that the Mac OS X 10.4.2 update provides a specific fix for the Cingular website and compatibility with Apple's Safari Browser.

According to the 10.4.2 readme, "With this update, you can use Safari to log in to MyAccount on cingular.com"

Cingular has been rumored to be the upcoming provider for the Motorola-iTunes cabable cell phone.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
While a nice fix, this seems more like we're trying to find connections when there is none. But it's a nice fix none the less.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Strange. They don't usually single out websites, much less the specific feature on a website in updates, do they?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Trowaman said:
While a nice fix, this seems more like we're trying to find connections when there is none. But it's a nice fix none the less.

No, this definately is a big deal. It pretty much secures something is going on between apple and cingular.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Cingular (was AT&T) still supports my 1996 Motorola. Maybe I should finally get an upgrade now. I have saved up for this moment.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
not for me. logging in to cingular has always been a complete pain in the butt. i have to log in every time i click a link within the "My Account" pages. it's like safari doesn't realize i'm already logged in.

very annoying. glad they fixed this.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Now if only they could fix Cingular.

Has anyone else noticed that Cingular sells internet access by the kilobyte? Not MB, KB. Not that anyone in their customer service understands what that means.

I had service with them for one month. The 500 KB that they assured me would be plenty for WAP browsing was used up in two experimental sessions where I looked at a total of two small web pages, and clicked two menu options (without actually loading anything, or so I thought).

Or you can buy Cingular's unlimited internet access for a mere $25 per month. Compare that to T-Mobile, which offers all-you-can-eat internet for $5 per month. Sure it may be slower, but dang! And Cingular's EDGE is hardly blazingly fast.

I was very happy to be free of Cingular. Though not as happy as I was to be free of that awful, awful Sony Ericsson S710a. What a horribly designed phone!

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
mikeyrogers said:
Make that three. I never remember having a problem logging into Cingular's site.

I've never been able to log on to the My Account section. Since 10.4 at least (I'm not sure I ever tried it under Panther). Is everyone claiming that they never had a problem running Tiger?

testnull

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2002
Chicago
OK. Don't be rediculous here. Cingular is a very, very popular service provider (it's the most popular one total in the US), and being unable to log in to their web site (which I could never do reliably in Tiger) is surely a major annoyance. I'm sure that anybody with Report Bug in their toolbar has been clicking it furiously when it doesn't work and they have to switch to Firefox.

In fact I dare say that this was my biggest site-doesn't-work annoyance with Safari in total. So it's no surprise that it's singled out in their release notes, and it was a really nice way of letting people know that this works now.

iTunes phone rumors are just insane speculation at this point. Most of the people around here probably believe that they'll be buying a 60GB iPod phone in the size of an iPod Shuffle and sex appeal of the RAZR or SLVR (have you seen one yet? they're hot hot hot) in a few months, based on what I've read here and on Engadget.

Speculation about Apple fixing a login issue on the account management site of the #1 US cellular provider because of a phone relationship is just silly. Whether the relationship exists or not Apple would have fixed the issue anyway and let people know about it.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
testnull said:
OK. Don't be rediculous here. Cingular is a very, very popular service provider (it's the most popular one total in the US), and being unable to log in to their web site (which I could never do reliably in Tiger) is surely a major annoyance. I'm sure that anybody with Report Bug in their toolbar has been clicking it furiously when it doesn't work and they have to switch to Firefox.

In fact I dare say that this was my biggest site-doesn't-work annoyance with Safari in total. So it's no surprise that it's singled out in their release notes, and it was a really nice way of letting people know that this works now.

iTunes phone rumors are just insane speculation at this point. Most of the people around here probably believe that they'll be buying a 60GB iPod phone in the size of an iPod Shuffle and sex appeal of the RAZR or SLVR (have you seen one yet? they're hot hot hot) in a few months, based on what I've read here and on Engadget.

Speculation about Apple fixing a login issue on the account management site of the #1 US cellular provider because of a phone relationship is just silly. Whether the relationship exists or not Apple would have fixed the issue anyway and let people know about it.

But do you really think Cingular was the only website that had this problem? I would imagine that any site that used the same software for account management would have the same issue. The fact that the documentation specifically singles out Cingular may be hinting at something. They could have just as easily written, ""With this update, you can use Safari to log in to websites that could not be accessed previously, such as Cingular, Company Name 2, 3, etc."

I'm not saying that it does mean anything but the way it is documented is a little out of the ordinary. Usually documentation is kept more general and doesn't single out individual companies/websites.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
AHDuke99 said:
gmail still doesn't work for me, it goes into a never -ending reloading like cingular used to do.

I had the same problem until 10.4.2, but could easily escape it by reloading the "Loading" page. Once I got 10.4.2, I cleared my cache, history, and cookies, and everything works great.

TEG

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
testnull said:

Agree. A few months ago, a safari upgrade stopped working with bank of america. The problem was fixed within a week or two (maybe faster), but it was a problem specific to BofA and Safari. While BofA is large, I bet that Cingular has more customers than BofA, and probably more customers using the account access page. So it's no surprise they might fix it.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
corywoolf said:
No, this definately is a big deal. It pretty much secures something is going on between apple and cingular.
I hope not, that is, I hope this particular event doesn't itself constitute confirmation. It's a sad day if Apple makes it policy to only fix problems with their browser accessing web sites whose operators they intend to partner with.

Many Mac users are already Cingular customers. The most reasonable explanation for this is that those Mac/Cingular customers wanted this problem fixed. In the unlikely event that this isn't the explanation, then it reflects badly on Apple.

BTW unlimited general internet access via T-Mobile is $20 a month, not $5 as claimed by someone else (and you have a choice of NAT or all-incoming-connections-blocked) However unlimited WAP is free with your T-Mobile account. T-Zones, which is available separately, costs extra but that's essentially added premium content, it's not necessary to have TZ to have WAP.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
peharri said:
BTW unlimited general internet access via T-Mobile is $20 a month, not $5 as claimed by someone else (and you have a choice of NAT or all-incoming-connections-blocked) However unlimited WAP is free with your T-Mobile account. T-Zones, which is available separately, costs extra but that's essentially added premium content, it's not necessary to have TZ to have WAP.
It depends on how you define internet access, I guess... and is further complicated by the fact that apparently zero salespeople or tech support folks at either company have any idea whatsoever what their internet products entail.

All I want is the ability to do find the answers to questions while I'm away from a computer. Plain ol' WAP is fine. Cingular charges through the nose for that privilege. T-Mobile gave me the impression that I needed the basic T-Zones to get that sort of access... you're saying I don't even need that? I'll have to give that a try. I could ask customer service, but they are so clueless as to make me wanna... well, it's just not worth calling such people.

Never in any of their documents nor in any of the literature or websites do they use terms like WAP or GPRS. It's all t-zones this and MEdia that and other random made-up words to try to confuse the buyer.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
ham_man said:
I believe that we have Apple's iPhone wireless provider... :rolleyes: ;)

Was there ever a doubt that Cingular would be the provider? I never thought that it could be any other provider. As much as I dislike cingular they are the largest GSM carrier in the US and the only logical choice.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I'm glad to see large vendors like Cingular and Bank of America actually taking Safari seriously as a default browser. The democratization of web browsers has been a pain in the ass for major e-commerce vendors, but it's fantastic for consumers. IE is still the default, but I its dominance is eroding little by little.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Porchland said:
I'm glad to see large vendors like Cingular and Bank of America actually taking Safari seriously as a default browser. The democratization of web browsers has been a pain in the ass for major e-commerce vendors, but it's fantastic for consumers. IE is still the default, but I its dominance is eroding little by little.
Once IE dropped below 90% market share, web developers started to realize they couldn't be so lazy and only develop for one browser. Thanks, Firefox!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.