Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Well, it stopped working again – on one machine – after four days. However, I did delete a Favourites entry yesterday, which is the only thing that I can think of that changed. I've "reset" the home page and will go again.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Well, it stopped working again – on one machine – after four days. However, I did delete a Favourites entry yesterday, which is the only thing that I can think of that changed. I've "reset" the home page and will go again.

Here still working after saving the blank page and then my page.
I always hold my breath because there is a millesimal seconds pause before it opens the right one, but so far so good
even after few restarts and every time I do a deep clean of caches and cookies ?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Here still working after saving the blank page and then my page.
I always hold my breath because there is a millesimal seconds pause before it opens the right one, but so far so good
even after few restarts and every time I do a deep clean of caches and cookies ?

Today the magic(in the past, called normalcy) evaporated... need to confirm the homepage again
I give up

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Today the magic(in the past, called normalcy) evaporated... need to confirm the homepage again
I give up
I gave up and installed Firefox – something I was trying to avoid (not because I dislike Firefox, but because I wanted to keep things simple). Firefox is quite happy with the same home page, same location that Safari hates. All very odd.

Also, my iPad can't be upgraded to iOS 13 – it's not that old and perfectly functional – and Apple have blocked sharing across devices with iOS 12, so they've managed to make Safari less useful than the competition on their own platform. Think different, indeed!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I gave up and installed Firefox – something I was trying to avoid (not because I dislike Firefox, but because I wanted to keep things simple). Firefox is quite happy with the same home page, same location that Safari hates. All very odd.

Also, my iPad can't be upgraded to iOS 13 – it's not that old and perfectly functional – and Apple have blocked sharing across devices with iOS 12, so they've managed to make Safari less useful than the competition on their own platform. Think different, indeed!
I'm sorry..it's a disaster lately(to be optimistic) with apple. I have an iPad pro 10.5" , it has ipados 13.5 but do you think I can share it with my computer? Yes, one way when the conjunction of planets is working . Never the other way, computer to iPad doesn't work, never did. We have to be inventive , when I need to share something , I copy it on my notes and there I'm on both devices, without the frustration of waiting and nothing happens

Some time handoff , copy and paste, works too, full moon and some garlic to scare the witches .?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

...Think different, indeed!
Another solution : found by chance
Tell Safari to open All windows from last sessions
Before quitting safari click Home button
then safari will reopen last window that was Home= your file
So far is working ...

Reactions: auxbuss

rapttor

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
So, this is a solution (tested it several times)

This is a problem with invalid favorites bar contains invalid bookmarks.

Upon loading, you have a second or two to invoke safari preferences.
Go to safari settings, general and change everything to "empty page"

I suggest to remember which "file" it asking to save,
as later on you can browse trough bookmarks, find it and remove it.

The safari starts normaly afterwards and you can set again startup page to favorites list, etc...

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Best solution, use a better browser

I can’t remember the last time I used the Apple version of internet explorer

Should be using brave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.