Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hello.

On Safari using Mavericks when I created a new tab with cmd+t the address bar would be selected upon creation and I could just immorality start typing away the new web address. On 10.10 I need to click on the address bar upon creation of a new tab in order to type the new url or search phrase. Is there any way to make it behave like it used to?

Thank you.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That's the way it's supposed to behave. It's working properly for my 10.10 installation.

Send in a bug report to Apple so they can address it.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I remembered now that when I installed DP4 upgrading mavericks it worked ok but now after a clean beta install I get this issue.

philippp

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
i have this issue to and its so damn annoying :( and sometimes the gestures stop working too.

Steve at Jobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
I have the same issue. When I open new tab (CMD + T or click on plus button) the cursor focus is not in adress bar so I can't type url address immediately, nothing happens. I have to manually with my mouse or with shortcut (CMD + L) get my cursor into the address bar.

qaddodi

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
I reported feedback to this problem 2 days ago. The only "workaround" that I found and is pretty helpful is to press Cmd+L after opening a new tab with Cmd+T and that will activate the URL/Search bar. I, however, would love it if they had at least an option to return that feature from Mavericks back.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I reported feedback to this problem 2 days ago. The only "workaround" that I found and is pretty helpful is to press Cmd+L after opening a new tab with Cmd+T and that will activate the URL/Search bar. I, however, would love it if they had at least an option to return that feature from Mavericks back.

It's not that they should return it, it's that it's broken on your installation. It's working fine on my Yosemite installation.

qaddodi

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
It's not that they should return it, it's that it's broken on your installation. It's working fine on my Yosemite installation.

Oh. I figured if I click on the URL/Search bar in an already opened tab and try to open a new one with Cmd+T it does open while the new URL/Search bar is active.

So is there anyway to fix it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Oh. I figured if I click on the URL/Search bar in an already opened tab and try to open a new one with Cmd+T it does open while the new URL/Search bar is active.

So is there anyway to fix it?

The only way I could think to fix it would be a fresh install. I don't know if there is any other way, though smarter people than me may know.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
I have not found a way to fix this. Deleting Safari plist has no effect, and it even occurs with new user accounts.

I'm starting to get used to automatically pressing Cmd + L every time I open a new tab.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's working for me with a clean install, so it's not something broken with all clean installs. Do you have any Safari extensions installed?

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
It's working for me with a clean install, so it's not something broken with all clean installs. Do you have any Safari extensions installed?

I have no extensions installed. I don't even install Flash.

hmarsili

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I have fixed this. I installed Mavericks and I did not recover from a backup. I upgraded to Yosemite and then I manually move the files and applications (had to reinstall Office) from a backup. Once again, MANUALLY, not using time machine.

This fixed for me at least.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
For me it still acts the same wether I do a clean install or a upgrade from mavericks. This is both public beta and DP5.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Here is what I did: went back to Mavericks than updated through app store to public beta 2 and now everything works as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.