Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stan.nikola

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
The only time I've seen Safari do this is if I have a page such as google set to open in a new tab.

I had this issue, just set new tabs to open with a blank page and now the address bar comes to focus upon opening new tab.... It's a good temporary fix

morgsdaly

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
I worked out the blank page trick too, but it would seem to me that with any new tab option there is a pretty high chance that you will want to be typing in the address/search bar.

I save things as favourites so they might auto complete faster, not so that I can click on them.

conradwt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2005
Hello.

On Safari using Mavericks when I created a new tab with cmd+t the address bar would be selected upon creation and I could just immorality start typing away the new web address. On 10.10 I need to click on the address bar upon creation of a new tab in order to type the new url or search phrase. Is there any way to make it behave like it used to?

Thank you.

You can do one of the following OS X 10.10:

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> New tabs open with -> Top Sites

or

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> New tabs open with -> Empty Page

I prefer the first option because one has the ability to choose one of their top sites, search, or type in a physical address.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
You can do one of the following OS X 10.10:

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> New tabs open with -> Top Sites

or

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> New tabs open with -> Empty Page

I prefer the first option because one has the ability to choose one of their top sites, search, or type in a physical address.

That's not quite what the original poster was asking.

When the original post was written six months ago, there was a bug in Yosemite beta, where the Safari address bar was not active by default, and had to be clicked to be able to type the URL.

The bug was fixed before release.

Panchoavila

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
That's not quite what the original poster was asking.

When the original post was written six months ago, there was a bug in Yosemite beta, where the Safari address bar was not active by default, and had to be clicked to be able to type the URL.

The bug was fixed before release.

I made a clean installation of El capitan this weekend and I still having the problem...

mehdwardian

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2018
According to this thread on Apple Support Communities, setting new tabs and new windows to open an Empty page will make Safari to focus on address bar by default.

I haven't tried myself, but maybe this helps.

I have tried it myself; it works. Set new tabs to open an Empty Page, and it's back to normal.

Toggling Include Safari Suggestions had no effect.

Before the issue manifested, I had new tabs set to open Homepage, with Homepage set to "About:Blank," and everything worked fine; this stopped working after some update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.