Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geckoninja

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by awulf
Yahoo gets their search results from Google (most of them anyway), but their interface is a bit bloated.

I think apple should use my scrappy little search engine instead :D .

As noted, it's pure yahoo (okay - inktomi) now. So, it may be better or worse - that's opinion. But, I think it's certain that google's interface is much much cleaner.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Originally posted by geckoninja
As noted, it's pure yahoo (okay - inktomi) now. So, it may be better or worse - that's opinion. But, I think it's certain that google's interface is much much cleaner.

Are people comparing http://yahoo.com to http://google.com, or are the comparing the search results pages?

It's irrelevant as to who has the better or cleaner front door, since the search field makes it unnecessary to go to the front door.

You may like the search results and the layout of one versus the other, but they're pretty damn similar either way...at least not to have a cow over Apple deciding to choose one over the other.

Besides, as I posted before, Saft is an option and so is having Javascript searches via the toolbar.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
oohhh... i really hope that doesn't happen.

i used to use Camino before Safari got a few releases under it's belt... if any deal with Yahoo goes down it might be time for me to have a look at the latest Camino bulid. and everyone seems to be talking about FireFox as well...

vanmonkey

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Re: Re: Safari Search to use Yahoo instead of Google?

Originally posted by eSnow
one of my pet peeves with Safari is its completely braindead preferences. I want an option to disallow the browser to play mp3s from websites - ever. They are a major distraction and pain in the ass.

Along the same lines it is just retarded to not offer a choice of search engines.

Exactly. Sound enabled web pages are super annoying. And LOUD for those of us with the master volume up. I'd like a volume slider in safari too (a la iTunes). As more sites intigrate sound into them, it will become more of a consideration!

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Re: Re: Re: Safari Search to use Yahoo instead of Google?

Originally posted by vanmonkey
Exactly. Sound enabled web pages are super annoying. And LOUD for those of us with the master volume up. I'd like a volume slider in safari too (a la iTunes). As more sites intigrate sound into them, it will become more of a consideration!

I use Rogue Amoeba's "Detour" to regulate on a case-by-case basis the volume of all my apps that make sound. Needless to say, Safari is turned down low.

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Yahoo, as compared to Google blows as a search engine because you can't tweak it for obscure searches. Google allows you to search through much more content than Yahoo. Come on Apple, use the world standard.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Can you imagine the reaction if MSN was the default search? Geez, choice is good but this hardly matters.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
If this happens ill just use mozilla firebird its a great browser and i already use it sometimes plus open source mozilla.org

AngryLawnGnome

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
i don't think it'll matter. Yahoo's not bad, and it just got an image search, so if it changes, it won't bother me.

AngryLawnGnome

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by Mac Dummy
Yahoo, as compared to Google blows as a search engine because you can't tweak it for obscure searches. Google allows you to search through much more content than Yahoo. Come on Apple, use the world standard.

Sorry, don't know how to edit a post and put a quote on...neways, I think the reason Google's is "the world standard" may just be because Apple made it that way. I used to use Yahoo for everything before I got Safari and I always thought it was the best. True, though, Google does have a greater variety.

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Omni Web is the best

omni web is the best, any time I click in a search box, I get a little icon on the bottom of the browser, click that and it gets added to a pull down menu in the search box, so right now I have google, movie showtimes, IMdb, citysearch (which retains cookies), version tracker, a bunch of reference sites and a few other fun goodies, it rocks

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Question - of all you anti-Yahooers:

1. Until about a week ago Yahoo! used Google's search results. It was the same darn thing. I liked Google better for it's interface

2. About a week or so ago, Yahoo! switched to their own in-house developed engine. How many of you guys have used Yahoo! since the switch? I decided to compare the two, and found in about 2/4 of cases, the Yahoo! results were significantly better, in about 1/4 the Google results were significantly better, and in the remaining 1/4 there was no real difference. Therefore, overall I feel Yahoo! now has the better engine. If you haven't checked it out, I'd encourage you to do so before you talk about how Google is the greatest.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
Yea i just took a look at yahoo the other day, they aren't nearly as bad as they were before, but... I like the Google interface... well i guess if they do switch from google to yahoo, fine...

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
Yea i just took a look at yahoo the other day, they aren't nearly as bad as they were before, but... I like the Google interface... well i guess if they do switch from google to yahoo, fine...

Maybe if Yahoo implemented an optional, cleaner search interface for those who want it, I might be more willing to use it.

geniusj

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Originally posted by Awimoway
Maybe if Yahoo implemented an optional, cleaner search interface for those who want it, I might be more willing to use it.

I haven't seen this mentioned before. But for those if you looking to use Yahoo!'s new engine. Please use http://search.yahoo.com/ instead of http://www.yahoo.com/ . It's much cleaner with a lot less clutter. Not as clean as Google, but close.

Regards,
-JD-

Abu Reno

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2004
WHATEVER

I think this is one of the those stupid rumors thrown at us to keep us busy thinking. I wouldn't worry about it!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.