Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Kingsnapped said:
Awulf: Not anymore. Yahoo made itself independant of Google's search engine... or something..

They're just not the same anymore.

I really miss Opera's ability to search right in the address bar. If you typed "g bacon" there would be a google search for bacon "e bacon" ebay "y bacon" yahoo, etc. It was nice to have the choice. I really wish Opera made a good browser for Mac, it's one of the very few things I miss from my windows days... ::sniff::
OmniWeb.

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
FriarTuck said:
If this happens, just add the Google toolbar, like I've done on my XP machine at work. It' nice, and doesn't take up much space.

Besides, Yahoo is supposed to be sinking big $$ into upgrading their search.
The Google toolbar doesn't work on Safari

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I don't think so either...

From Apple's site:

"Built-in Google search
Just about everyone puts a link to the Google search engine in his or her toolbar. Safari takes this a step further with a Google search field right next to the web address. Safari remembers your most recent searches in a convenient popup menu and tracks your Google SnapBack point separately. After you’ve explored a search result, the Google SnapBack button returns you to your most recent results page."

Hmmm...sounds like they like it!...but is that just because "everyone" is doing it? :rolleyes:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
oh god....

Well, apparently Yahoo just beefed up their engine in response to Google adding a few million search results.

Google just sounds cooler anyway...

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
The search engine wars have started again....oh gawd :(

Remember the Yahoo / Altavista / HotBot / Dmoz saga? *cries* i was so happy when Google just owned everything and placed themselves at the top...

shoez

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2003
Firefox is already my browser of choice. Although the interface to Safari is slightly better - especially the cool "Submit" and "Reset" buttons, and the blue loading address bar... firefox has a better page search, really damn cool plugins and a far better search engine selection feature (I've got Google, Dictionary.com, Amazon and CPAN). It's also a lot smoother for browsing the web - specifically it doesn't have the stupid page caching bug which Safari parades. You all know the one - browse to a long web page; scroll halfway down; select and load a link from halfway down the page; press the back button and Safari returns you to the TOP of the page, not where you clicked from. Goddamn that annoys me so badly. Firefox really is worth the switch away from Safari - at least until Apple pull their finger out and get stuff sorted.

shoez

theRebel

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
Obviously the best solution is to allow the user to set the search engine via Safari preferences.

Personally I think that it would be nice if Apple were to incorporate Sherlock's old Internet search whereby a user could pick and choose multiple search engines from which results would be gathered.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
:)

Ahhh, the good old days of having a choice. I've read about those days, please tell me about the golden years.
theRebel said:
Obviously the best solution is to allow the user to set the search engine via Safari preferences.

Personally I think that it would be nice if Apple were to incorporate Sherlock's old Internet search whereby a user could pick and choose multiple search engines from which results would be gathered.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
1macker1 said:
Ahhh, the good old days of having a choice. I've read about those days, please tell me about the golden years.

Frequently I got results from Google when searching with Yahoo. So it isn't all that bad.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Macrumors said:
According to one report, Yahoo is presently in negotiations with Apple to replace the Google-driven Search box in Apple's Web Browser (Safari) with one powered by Yahoo's search engine.

Apple's web browser offers a built in search box in the top right corner window which allows users to quickly search the web. Since Safari's introduction, the search box has used Google's popular search engine to provide results.

Google's prominent placement is presumably provided for convenience rather than any specific financial deal between the two companies.

I don't get it why Apple is not offering a drop down menu with 10 search engines to choose from. I would love to have the freedom of choosing for the right search any search engine over my Safari...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
atomwork said:
I don't get it why Apple is not offering a drop down menu with 10 search engines to choose from. I would love to have the freedom of choosing for the right search any search engine over my Safari...

Because not enough people have clicked on "Report Bugs to Apple" from the Safari menu making that request. I suggest you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.