Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only bug I've noticed in Monterey is with Safari. Sometimes when I try to load a new page Safari acts like I pressed the back button a split second after that page starts to load. It happens quickly enough that despite being in the browser history, the forward button does not recognize the page as loaded. Its not reliably reproducible, and isn't limited to any specific websites. Anyone noticed this.

16" MBP. Latest version of Monterey. Plenty of available RAM.

Reactions: dyou

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
This happens to me too, and its extremely annoying. I've seen elsewhere that it might be related to a tab group, but I can't confirm if it only happens in my tab groups or not. I have an M1Pro 14" but also was seeing the issues on an M1 13".

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
This used to happen to me. I chalked it up to a delayed (and confused) synchronization of tabs with my iCloud account. I had other symptoms at the time, relating to saved tab groups. In all cases it seems that my browser was frequently "rewinding".

I stopped syncing my Safari with the iCloud altogether. I've not had a problem with Safari since.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Yes this happened to me too. I think it started with the latest 12.3.1 update.

t2jd1967

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
This happens to me all the time. I have attributed this to my use of Wipr (which I really don't want to drop even it causes the problem). It happens on my Mac Mini M1, on my 14" MacBookPro M1 and even sometimes on my iPhone. It has become such a frequent occurrence that I just expect it with every few clicks. In some cases, the annoyance is that it interrupts a web flow like ordering something. Most of the time it happens when either navigating directly to a webadres in a new tab or when clicking on a search result (I use DuckDuckGo exclusively).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This happens to me all the time. I have attributed this to my use of Wipr (which I really don't want to drop even it causes the problem). It happens on my Mac Mini M1, on my 14" MacBookPro M1 and even sometimes on my iPhone. It has become such a frequent occurrence that I just expect it with every few clicks. In some cases, the annoyance is that it interrupts a web flow like ordering something. Most of the time it happens when either navigating directly to a webadres in a new tab or when clicking on a search result (I use DuckDuckGo exclusively).
I use Wipr as well. The issue has stopped for me now that I disabled Safari iCloud sync.

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 6.19.31 PM.png

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For what it's worth, I have not seen this issue, and Safari is my primary browser. I do not have Wipr. Does everyone else in this thread have it?

t2jd1967

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
I use Wipr as well. The issue has stopped for me now that I disabled Safari iCloud sync.
Yeah, I rely on iCloud sync for my workflow. So that is not really an option for me. I have suspected for a time now that Wipr does not play nice with some changes to Safari, so I would not surprise me that it is the introduction of the tabs feature with syncing that is causing this behavior.

I don't want to switch to another browser, so hopefully a fix will come along at one stage.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
For what it's worth, I have not seen this issue, and Safari is my primary browser. I do not have Wipr. Does everyone else in this thread have it?

I had the problem until I disabled iCloud sync. I don't use Wipr.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
For me Safari occasionally goes back to the previous page by itself and stays there. I have reported the issue to Apple.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Just for kicks, I turned back on iCloud sync of Safari. Once again I'm having issues (right now on this site). I have to repeat navigation attempts to get where I want to go. It's as if the back button is triggered right after I start navigating.

vetoes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2017
It happens to me regularly as well on latest versions of both MacOS and iOS. I first noticed it when I started using iCloud Tab Groups. Tried to turning Safari iCloud sync on/off on both Mac and iPhone but it didn't help. Didn't tried to keep it off because I need iCloud tab sync.

1. Did anyone manages to fix the issue without disabling anything?
2. Did anyone reported this issue to Apple?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
It happens to me regularly as well on latest versions of both MacOS and iOS. I first noticed it when I started using iCloud Tab Groups. Tried to turning Safari iCloud sync on/off on both Mac and iPhone but it didn't help. Didn't tried to keep it off because I need iCloud tab sync.

Yeah, it was the tab groups for me as well. I've not reported it to Apple.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022

I reported it to Apple in november last year.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
it's Feb 2024 on safari 17.3 and I recently ran into this issue. Only temporary fix I know aside from disabling Safari iCloud syncing is to create a new Tab Group and move all existing tabs over to the new Tab Group, but the problem will return again in a few days. Anyone have better ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.