Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frito1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
oklahoma
I thought safari was suppose to let you have a large number of tabs in ios 7 i saw a beta where they counted at least 50 but i seem to only be able to get 25, is there something wrong with my iphone or is this what the number of tabs stop at

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I thought safari was suppose to let you have a large number of tabs in ios 7 i saw a beta where they counted at least 50 but i seem to only be able to get 25, is there something wrong with my iphone or is this what the number of tabs stop at

I only get 24.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012

Since you're counting, the number of apps allowed in one folder is 135.

EDIT: I'm just pointing out that while Apple may have said that it's unlimited, there's going to be a limit at some point.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Who the heck keeps 25 open tabs in Safari? Oh I know, the same people who have a year's worth of text messages on their phone and 10,000 e-mails in their inbox..nevermind, carry on.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Who the heck keeps 25 open tabs in Safari? Oh I know, the same people who have a year's worth of text messages on their phone and 10,000 e-mails in their inbox..nevermind, carry on.

People do lots of researches? Whatever it might be, Safari will likely reloading all the tab after 10 tabs... So having more than 10 tabs open really give you annoyance than pleasure...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Some people, like myself, keep tabs open in the background on sites in order to remind them of something later on. Other times, I just open a new tab rather than using an open one because I might want to go back to it later.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

I could not agree more ! :cool:

At the risk of offending anyone, is this behavior a result of OCD or from a hoarding compulsion ?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I always have at least 15 tabs open and regularly go to the maximum of 24/25. I research a lot and hit other links but leave the former tab open so that I can go back to it. Those who use safari only for googling train times etc won't understand.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
What are you possibly researching that you need more than 25 tabs open?! Doesn't matter if I'm researching a new TV or a grad paper, I would never need that many tabs open. Even if I were, the last place I would want to do that kind of intense research would be on my iOS device. I'll stick to my MBP for power sessions.

People do lots of researches? Whatever it might be, Safari will likely reloading all the tab after 10 tabs... So having more than 10 tabs open really give you annoyance than pleasure...

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
What are you possibly researching that you need more than 25 tabs open?! Doesn't matter if I'm researching a new TV or a grad paper, I would never need that many tabs open. Even if I were, the last place I would want to do that kind of intense research would be on my iOS device. I'll stick to my MBP for power sessions.

When I do my papers, I always had more than 10 tabs opened for references, PDFs. And rest of the tab can goes for Wikipedia, wen search... I. An easily run over 25 tabs on my computer if I need to...

There is no reason for arbitrary tab limitation... Because people do open they many tabs

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

YOU would never need that many tabs open. OK. It seems your search methods aren't as in depth as mine and others.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL

I don't see the point in having unlimited tabs, but if a person wants said amount to be unlimited why should your personal opinion stop them? Who cares if they have a years worth of Texts and 10,000 emails in their inbox?

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't store unnecessary emails or texts but I do keep lots of safari tabs open...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't see the point in having unlimited tabs, but if a person wants said amount to be unlimited why should your personal opinion stop them? Who cares if they have a years worth of Texts and 10,000 emails in their inbox?

having unnecessary safari tabs open in iOS uses system ram. download a free memory app and open a bunch of safari tabs and see for yourself. Im just not a fan of inefficiency.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
having unnecessary safari tabs open in iOS uses system ram. download a free memory app and open a bunch of safari tabs and see for yourself. Im just not a fan of inefficiency.
Buy iOS takes whatever memory it needs for whatever it needed whenever it needs it (at least by design), so this isn't really any different than having a bunch of apps "open", which supposedly shouldn't affect anything (again, by what iOS design is described as).

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I could not agree more ! :cool:

At the risk of offending anyone, is this behavior a result of OCD or from a hoarding compulsion ?

It's just hopelessly addicted cell phone users who grasp those things like a heroin needle. Always have their heads down too, checking their phone. I think an uppercase L on the forehead make sense here. :D

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

You don't understand what efficiency is.

Something is inefficient if it uses more resources than necessary (to perform the task at hand).

If Safari's job is to have 25 tabs open, then it's not inefficient for it to use memory to do that.

A car is not inefficient because it uses more fuel to travel 200 miles than it does to travel 100 miles.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
When I do my papers, I always had more than 10 tabs opened for references, PDFs. And rest of the tab can goes for Wikipedia, wen search... I. An easily run over 25 tabs on my computer if I need to...

There is no reason for arbitrary tab limitation... Because people do open they many tabs

I do all my meaningful research on my iPhone, so any tab limitation is frustrating. :rolleyes:

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
This thread is getting exciting - can't wait to see what happens next (After Hershel, I hope Rick doesn't die too):

Tab Count > Unlimited? > Why? > Hoarding > OCD > heroin > car efficiency > ?

I rarely see the need to use more than 5 tabs. Open, read, close.

Attachments

• emo-Popcorn.bmp
    2.3 KB · Views: 351
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.