Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Instead of debating whether someone needs 25 tabs open or not, why not ask the question why the people who do need and use it aren't using a desktop computer/notebook instead of an iPhone?

An iPhone is meant for lighter browsing - I can't imagine someone doing some serious research on their iPhone, unless it is their only device connected to the internet.

I'm guessing the tabs limit on the iPhone is because Apple doesn't want Safari hogging the memory space, causing the phone to not run as fast as they want it to in order to get a satisfactory user experience.

More tabs = more resources used > a more capable device is needed i.e. a desktop/notebook.

attila

macrumors 6502a
"I need more than 24 tabs open"

"You are stupid, you don't need more than 24 tabs open"

Typical MacRumors discussion...

It's quite a low number, but in iOS5 it used to be 9. A web page does take up quite a bit of memory, so it seems, since iOS5, Apple has made advances in memory management. Maybe iOS7.5 or 8?

Instead of debating whether someone needs 25 tabs open or not, why not ask the question why the people who do need and use it aren't using a desktop computer/notebook instead of an iPhone?.

I do agree here - I'm guessing two typical usages of many tabs: 1) Keeping as reminder, 2) Research

And two solutions for now:
1) I recommend Pocket or Evernote - easier to manage your links
2) Same as above + continue your research on a bigger screen

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Instead of debating whether someone needs 25 tabs open or not, why not ask the question why the people who do need and use it aren't using a desktop computer/notebook instead of an iPhone?

An iPhone is meant for lighter browsing - I can't imagine someone doing some serious research on their iPhone, unless it is their only device connected to the internet.

I'm guessing the tabs limit on the iPhone is because Apple doesn't want Safari hogging the memory space, causing the phone to not run as fast as they want it to in order to get a satisfactory user experience.

More tabs = more resources used > a more capable device is needed i.e. a desktop/notebook.

How about iPad? iOS isn't just runs on iPhone....

By the way, if you argument hold true, then Apple should hold the 8 tab limit on iOS 7.

How about throw some capable hardware on iPad? Rather limiting 1GB of memory, give us 2GB like everyone else?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Or instead of debating any of that why not simply question why doesn't iOS provide that when it seemed like Apple said that it is supposed to (which seems to be the original simple question--completely unrelated to any reasons as to why someone might even need that, which plays no role in that aspect of it).

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
How about iPad? iOS isn't just runs on iPhone....

By the way, if you argument hold true, then Apple should hold the 8 tab limit on iOS 7.

How about throw some capable hardware on iPad? Rather limiting 1GB of memory, give us 2GB like everyone else?

Even with the iPad, the specs are on par with the iPhone. Neither devices are properly capable of managing that amount of tabs whilst simultaneously running other apps and processes without sacrificing performance, even though Apple's 'magical' multitasking management may help improve it's efficiency. An 8 tab limit is just arbitrary - the dynamic memory and multi-tasking management will be more efficient in determining the optimum amount of tabs it can handle at a particular time.

Throwing in some capable, beefy hardware never is and was Apple's style as we've all seen. They're more into efficiency and bettering user experience than anything else (whether you think iOS is better than Android is down to personal preference).

Compare Apple's idevices with those running Android and others, Apple's hardware is way behind the competition in terms of raw specs. However, compare the way Apple's devices handle processes, it's generally more efficient and faster in many areas over it's rivals, even with it's reduced-spec hardware. It's not all about paper specs, the software has to be optimised to use that power efficiently. If you want 2gb of RAM and a quad core processor you may have a longer wait than you think because Apple won't include it that easily. ;)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
When I am browsing eBay or researching for a piece of writing on my iMac, I go down the lists and open things that vaguely spark my interest in the background in new tabs. By the end of it, that baby's loaded way past 24 tabs. On an iOS device, though, it's another story. I can't shop eBay my way or do serious research on an iOS device, so I don't mind a 24-tab limit. That said, who am I to say it is strange that other people exceed 24 tabs on an iOS device? They should be able to open as many as they like.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Even with the iPad, the specs are on par with the iPhone. Neither devices are properly capable of managing that amount of tabs whilst simultaneously running other apps and processes without sacrificing performance, even though Apple's 'magical' multitasking management may help improve it's efficiency. An 8 tab limit is just arbitrary - the dynamic memory and multi-tasking management will be more efficient in determining the optimum amount of tabs it can handle at a particular time.

Throwing in some capable, beefy hardware never is and was Apple's style as we've all seen. They're more into efficiency and bettering user experience than anything else (whether you think iOS is better than Android is down to personal preference).

Compare Apple's idevices with those running Android and others, Apple's hardware is way behind the competition in terms of raw specs. However, compare the way Apple's devices handle processes, it's generally more efficient and faster in many areas over it's rivals, even with it's reduced-spec hardware. It's not all about paper specs, the software has to be optimised to use that power efficiently. If you want 2gb of RAM and a quad core processor you may have a longer wait than you think because Apple won't include it that easily. ;)

Their software is build upon the closed and restricted environment where everything is under greater restriction. And no, iOS does not really run efficiently with currently hardware even with current iPad Air and current Retina iPad Mini. Lag and shutter, Safari crashes, app reloading isn't so rare right now. Throwing 2GB if memory is only way to go. Wether you like it or not, Apple will eventually throw 2GB of RAM into their iPads.

People here always think something isn't so commonly used is always wrong. There is nothing wrong so people open more than 24 tabs. Sometime I opened more than 10 tabs when I browsing his forum. I open each thread on different tabs. Or I could open everything I am interested at once and then start reading.

Look, the arbitrary tab limit is pointless. If people never open past 24 tabs, then you don't need set 24 tabs limit. If some people do, then it is great annoyance. Whether open lots of tabs is waste of system resource is up to users.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Their software is build upon the closed and restricted environment where everything is under greater restriction. And no, iOS does not really run efficiently with currently hardware even with current iPad Air and current Retina iPad Mini. Lag and shutter, Safari crashes, app reloading isn't so rare right now. Throwing 2GB if memory is only way to go. Wether you like it or not, Apple will eventually throw 2GB of RAM into their iPads.

I never said iOS is perfect, but it runs quite efficiently compared to it's rivals with the limited hardware they have. As an example, check the benchmarks of the 5S against the Galaxy S4 and you'll see how much faster the 5S is with it's reduced-spec hardware. Also, throwing 2GB isn't going to solve many of the app crashes, bugs etc you see with iOS 7 - they are more to do with the coding and how processes are executed rather than memory. Adding memory will do nothing since many of the issues are non-memory related.

People here always think something isn't so commonly used is always wrong. There is nothing wrong so people open more than 24 tabs. Sometime I opened more than 10 tabs when I browsing his forum. I open each thread on different tabs. Or I could open everything I am interested at once and then start reading.

Look, the arbitrary tab limit is pointless. If people never open past 24 tabs, then you don't need set 24 tabs limit. If some people do, then it is great annoyance. Whether open lots of tabs is waste of system resource is up to users.

Using 24+ tabs on an iOS device isn't that common even though you may use it regularly. Using 24+ tabs on a desktop/laptop is more common - people are more likely get more 'serious' work done on these machines than doing it on an iOS device. Even then, 24+ tabs usage is not that common on a desktop. The last time I can remember using something like that was when I was researching for my university assignment. More likely than not, you'd have forgotten about/not really needed the tabs you've opened beyond the last 8 or so tabs.

24 is more than enough for the typical user on an iOS device who generally does some light browsing rather than some serious research or productivity.

This 'debate' is getting unnecessarily long. Bottom line is: if you're going to need 24+ tabs, you're more likely to be doing some serious work/browsing which requires a desktop/notebook anyway. You wouldn't even be thinking about using your iPad or iPhone to get the work done on such a device.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Who the heck keeps 25 open tabs in Safari? Oh I know, the same people who have a year's worth of text messages on their phone and 10,000 e-mails in their inbox..nevermind, carry on.

I take offense to this. I have texts dating back to 2008 but on average keep 2 or 3 tabs open at a time.

(i mean this in good humor).

----------

I could not agree more ! :cool:

At the risk of offending anyone, is this behavior a result of OCD or from a hoarding compulsion ?

hoarding!!

at least for me.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
You don't understand what efficiency is.

Something is inefficient if it uses more resources than necessary (to perform the task at hand).

If Safari's job is to have 25 tabs open, then it's not inefficient for it to use memory to do that.

A car is not inefficient because it uses more fuel to travel 200 miles than it does to travel 100 miles.

I guess you're correct. Inefficient wouldn't be the proper description.

How does one describe a person who has 25 Safari tabs open that contain information that is no longer relevant, needed or helpful? Would that be wasteful? untidy?

mina0887

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Your all such a trip hahah!!!!

I thought safari was suppose to let you have a large number of tabs in ios 7 i saw a beta where they counted at least 50 but i seem to only be able to get 25, is there something wrong with my iphone or is this what the number of tabs stop at

;) For you, only SOLUTION is a jailbreak tweak called 'tab+' that comes stock on cydia as a possible download on a envasi0n jailbreak. SIMPLE AS THAT, NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT, APPLE LIED GET OVER IT! (or write them LMAO!!)

:confused: Now as for all you GENIUSES, with some credit to some people for actually trying to prove your points with articles, though it is still futile. To the article regarding information hoarding, yes Some of us are exactly that yet I bet most of us are doing fairly well for ourselves because we never get stuck on one small bit of possibly false info. Some of us for instance realize what the internet has become and have come up with our own solution to this vast pool of possible info in a matter of a fraction of a seconds time. We take as much of what the seemingly possible and or logical and take some of it all and develop our own thoughts and conclusions based on it all. For the guy showing the article about more than 9 tabs, LOL, my computer and my phone are beasts that can handle hundreds of tabs and so is my brain! I am a web developer, even though I have a ****** memory, guess what, I never have less than 60 tabs open because of that, ALWAYS switching between them and it doesn't phase me because if your mind is quick its an EASY manage, everyone has to achieve their goals in different ways. Calm your condescending tones over what is a measly subject and get a dam life. We have our way and we like like as many tabs open as we want for hundreds of good reasons that shouldn't even be listed LOL, pathetic...

Reactions: Sir Al

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Tab limit? I thought it was obvious that there would be one.

Setting aside any discussion on why/whether someone should have more than X amount of tabs open on their iOS device.

You know, there really can't be an unlimited number of tabs in iOS. Simply put, there aren't unlimited resources to fulfill that demand. :p

Now, if you are talking about having no imposted limit, then you can go ahead and use tweaks like Tab+ (another reason to jailbreak!) to remove said limit. That said, don't be surprised if the system starts to lag significantly if you open so many tabs. :D

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
When I am browsing eBay or researching for a piece of writing on my iMac, I go down the lists and open things that vaguely spark my interest in the background in new tabs. By the end of it, that baby's loaded way past 24 tabs. On an iOS device, though, it's another story. I can't shop eBay my way or do serious research on an iOS device, so I don't mind a 24-tab limit. That said, who am I to say it is strange that other people exceed 24 tabs on an iOS device? They should be able to open as many as they like.

I was in hospital for 8 weeks and surfed the web 100% on my iPhone. I got so used to it that I use it all the time at home too. My iPhone really is my computer.

Reactions: Sir Al

qwerty513

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
I see that this discussion has turned into protecting apple's bad choice.

Sometimes, not all of the time but sometimes I am looking for something and open up multiple tabs keeping the original results (I.e. Looking for an item on amazon and then going off to see other alternatives).

Now on my phone (prepare for the hate), which is a blackberry, I once went overboard and ramped up to more than a hundred tabs as I didn't have time to sort out the old ones and close them. However that didn't slow down the device as the browser unloaded the really old tabs and only kept a reference to the address. So if you came back the page would load from scratch. That's why I see no reason for a tab limit.

If you don't use lots of tabs then good for you, no need to try to convience the people who dony.

(P.s. Apologies for the bump)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see that this discussion has turned into protecting apple's bad choice.

Sometimes, not all of the time but sometimes I am looking for something and open up multiple tabs keeping the original results (I.e. Looking for an item on amazon and then going off to see other alternatives).

Now on my phone (prepare for the hate), which is a blackberry, I once went overboard and ramped up to more than a hundred tabs as I didn't have time to sort out the old ones and close them. However that didn't slow down the device as the browser unloaded the really old tabs and only kept a reference to the address. So if you came back the page would load from scratch. That's why I see no reason for a tab limit.

If you don't use lots of tabs then good for you, no need to try to convience the people who dony.

(P.s. Apologies for the bump)
Seems like people have moved on since a couple of years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.