Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you have any issues updating to iOS 11 on iPhone SE?

• I had trouble at first but tech support/resets fixed it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other problems not specified above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
I'm afraid to update my iPhone SE which is still running 10.3.3
If you have an SE, did you notice any:
  • slowdowns after updating?
  • battery life issues?
  • other problems?
thanks!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reactions: lbdesign

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Don’t update. I have an iPhone SE, and it ruined the battery life. there’s plenty of threads in this forum that supports this. Don’t update to iOS 11.

Update it, works fine for me. Great battery life and great perf. No lag or issues what soever. Its not like our phones are slouches by any means.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
If you update you risk ruining your battery life. Do you wanna take that risk. If so, by all means go ahead

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
If you update you risk ruining your battery life. Do you wanna take that risk. If so, by all means go ahead

I've had my iPhone SE since launch, and I suffer no degradation from 10 to 11 ios. you people worry too much, just get a new battery from apple for 29 dollars if you are that concerned. brb dont enjoy the experiences they work so hard to create.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I've had my iPhone SE since launch, and I suffer no degradation from 10 to 11 ios. you people worry too much, just get a new battery from apple for 29 dollars if you are that concerned. brb dont enjoy the experiences they work so hard to create.

Just coz yours doesn’t have a problem does not mean I’m wrong

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iOS 11 doesn’t change things much on iPhone SE and mine got never reached the speed it was on iOS 10 before. If I were you, I would never ever update it.

I think it’s also important to remember that not every iPhone will have the exact same performance regardless if they update to iOS 11 or not. It depends on how somebody is using their iPhone to determine the speed and what they are experiencing for issues.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
My SE is working just fine. But I am currently using it like an iPod/ipad, no sim so not using it as a phone.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Always ask yourself- is there anything compelling enough in the newest OS that's worth slowing down your phone.

Personally I haven't seen any reason to go past iOS 9

Reactions: anonymous guy

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
If I still had my SE I would upgrade the software - do you know, for the life of me I can't remember why I got rid of it. Perhaps it was when I used the iPhone 7 for a full year and still had an android phone, too. I've always maintained that for me 2 phones is perfect - one with my main sim and in use as a daily driver, the other as a backup. I was pretty impressed by a chap in hospital who'd dropped his SE a gazillion times; it was a bit scuffed up but was working perfectly.

Reactions: lbdesign

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Always ask yourself- is there anything compelling enough in the newest OS that's worth slowing down your phone.

Personally I haven't seen any reason to go past iOS 9

Worth? Is it worth leaving yourself the vulnerabilities with Spectre and meltdown without updating? Apple patches multiple security enhancements to keep your identity safe. If my iPhone was a little slower versus my identity or iPhone compromised, I would gladly take a slower iPhone versus having to deal with all the inconveniences of being hacked. Security is vital when it comes to updating your iPhone to protect the user. And I appreciate that Apple values that.

Reactions: Ffosse

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It's about having the latest features too, not just security. Why not enjoy all a device can do?

Reactions: 44267547

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think this thread makes it quite clear that you will never get a definitive answer to a question like this. Everyone has their own experiences and mentalities and there’s no way to know which will match your own.
My personal philosophy has always been to keep my devices up to date with the latest software they can support. I have so far never regretted this. But again, that’s just me.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I think it’s also important to remember that not every iPhone will have the exact same performance regardless if they update to iOS 11 or not. It depends on how somebody is using their iPhone to determine the speed and what they are experiencing for issues.

Do you work for Apple PR?

I never upgrade my iOS since buying my new Apple devices - iPads, iPhones. My device are same speed as I first got them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.