Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
I always knew that the "Salon Premium" subscription model wouldn't save them. And I wasn't about to pay for it either.

Salon began with some potential, and steadily revealed itself to be a rubbish-laden yuppie magazine. Hard to mourn this one.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
They were in trouble from the start. I just hope none of you had stock with them :p

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Salon ought to drop its dead weight. Like Amy Reiter. If anyone deserves a good slapping, it's her. I never liked Salon because it always seemed a bit too pretentious for me, but there are other sites out there that manage to do alright without closing portions of their content to subscribers only. If they end up on the rocks, that's economic Darwinism for ya.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Imagine that. A dot-com in financial trouble.

whodathunkit?

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Well, if you bought 100 shares, for a penny each, and the stock rebounded, you could have yourself a hefty amount of money. (I doubt it will rebound, but its nice to think of the possiblilities.)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Pepzhez
I always knew that the "Salon Premium" subscription model wouldn't save them. And I wasn't about to pay for it either.

Salon began with some potential, and steadily revealed itself to be a rubbish-laden yuppie magazine. Hard to mourn this one.

I proudly payed for my membership and never regretted it. For my money, they have some of the best commentary out there. Sure, some of their columnists are crap, but what publication with that many columnists (aka. people giving opinions) doesn't have a few bad eggs.

If Salon goes down, I'm not sure what could replace it for me. There aren't a lot of rational and sensible left-leaning publications on the internet. I would be very sorry to see them go.

Taft

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Bye Salon.com.

Can't believe it still exists.

What a waste of precious web resources and people's time.

Quark

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Quark
Bye Salon.com.

Can't believe it still exists.

What a waste of precious web resources and people's time.

Quark

Good to hear from the far right. :rolleyes:

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
http://www.guardian.co.uk

Best British paper: long established with solid reputation, higher caliber of writing than Salon, excellent columnists, left-leaning, free online.

I've seen in print many times, but hadn't thought to check it out online. I have a feeling its going to be too Euro-centric for me. Not that its a bad thing, but I liked Salon because they kept me appraised of the current US events. I tend to get my international new elsewhere (like the economist). But thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose I should probably be preparing...just in case. :(

Taft

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Oh no! Now I'll have to find a new dump to hang out at! I hear MSN has some sucky writers.. Hmm, that's it! I'm Switching to Windows! :rolleyes: :D

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
The truth is, the European press does a MUCH better job covering US politics and geopolitical conflicts than the corporate American press does. Not that this comes as a big surprise to anyone ...

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
The truth is, the European press does a MUCH better job covering US politics and geopolitical conflicts than the corporate American press does. Not that this comes as a big surprise to anyone ...
Amen to that. I can't even stand much American press anymore. The worst is by far the TV news, which I have started to ignore.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by dricci
Oh no! Now I'll have to find a new dump to hang out at! I hear MSN has some sucky writers.. Hmm, that's it! I'm Switching to Windows! :rolleyes: :D

WARNING: ONE LINER COMING

can i come too?

whoops, that was two, now three, lines:)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago

While I agree that European press has a much more balanced view of the world and they cover the international relations much better than the US, they often have a very skewed and somewhat limited understanding of our domestic politics. They apply their own set of politics to our system of government, and that often just doesn't work for me. For really good reporting on whats going on in our government, you NEED an "insider's" opinion/analysis. There are some columnists at Salon who are really good at this. Ariannna Huffington is one of my favorites.

Having the French give opinions on what the current political situation in the US is, is like the US telling Iraqi's what the current situation in their country is. Sure, there is no freedom of speech there, but how can another country or its reporters come in and give an accurate and balanced assesment of the situation?

Taft

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Originally posted by Taft

Good to hear from the far right. :rolleyes:

That's ironic, it's Salon's recent political shift that pretty much made me give up on reading it. It used to have what I'd call a slightly leftist slant, but they at least made an attempt at balance occasionally and sometimes even went against the grain. It was quite an enjoyable read for someone like me (I'd call myself centrist).

Then, roughly around the time they went subscription (and presumably because they thought it would bring in most subscribers) they shifted way to the left, seem to have added a requirement of "at least one 'Bush Is A Moron' article a day" and basically started preaching the full cliched liberal agenda. Now it's got the "anyone whose politics differ from ours is a far-right extremist" attitude demonstrated above. It's a parody of what the site used to be.

Al

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Salon's stock is up 300% as of 10:24EST this morning. Of course, this is on volumes of around 30000, so the total amount of money changing hands is only $1200. Lol:D
I could triple the price too!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So I've never heard of salon.com, took a look and wondered what they're trying to do - what is/was their mission?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by awrc

That's ironic, it's Salon's recent political shift that pretty much made me give up on reading it. It used to have what I'd call a slightly leftist slant, but they at least made an attempt at balance occasionally and sometimes even went against the grain. It was quite an enjoyable read for someone like me (I'd call myself centrist).

Then, roughly around the time they went subscription (and presumably because they thought it would bring in most subscribers) they shifted way to the left, seem to have added a requirement of "at least one 'Bush Is A Moron' article a day" and basically started preaching the full cliched liberal agenda. Now it's got the "anyone whose politics differ from ours is a far-right extremist" attitude demonstrated above. It's a parody of what the site used to be.

Al

I don't think thats fair. Remember the Clinton-bashing they used to do? They had a daily column devoted to it and always had stories with pictures of his puffy face next to a nasty headline. They are president bashers, if anything.

They've always declared themselves to be slightly left. And they have columnists who proclaim themselves to be the right's watchdogs. David Horowitz comes to mind (anyone know what his political affiliation is??) as does that new guy they are paying to write about how the left is wrong, wrong, wrong (I don't care for him much :) ). Anyway, I don't think they lean so far left as to be in danger of toppling.

My comment on comments from the far right was a reaction to the general opinion the right has of Salon.

Taft

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by Durandal7

Amen to that. I can't even stand much American press anymore. The worst is by far the TV news, which I have started to ignore.

One really annoying thing is all of the campaign adds between the news. Its sad how the people running for office have so little to say that they basically just find something the other canidate did bad and rip them apart for it.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Taft
Anyway, I don't think they lean so far left as to be in danger of toppling.

My comment on comments from the far right was a reaction to the general opinion the right has of Salon.

Taft
I didn't think that they were that left-leaning either. I am a conservative but I would read Salon once in a while and they never seemed very far-left to me.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe
Not bad. If it keeps going up you could make quite a bit of money :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.