Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe

To bad that it is going to take much more than that to pay your fees for buying the stock... haha i should buy some to just so that i could say i owned a lot of something.

happygoodies

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by Durandal7

I didn't think that they were that left-leaning either. I am a conservative but I would read Salon once in a while and they never seemed very far-left to me.

Are you joking??? Here are the past five articles on the Politics section:

Bush has a bridge he wants to sell you -- again
Shifty logic, misinformation, cheap panaceas -- the White House marketing plan for Iraq looks a lot like the pitch for last year's tax cuts. By Eric Boehlert

A kinder, gentler war pitch
In a Monday night speech, President Bush shifted his rhetoric in an effort to seal the deal with a skeptical public.
By Anthony York

Joe Conason's Journal
Supreme Court passes on case, and Lautenberg's in. Will Forrester run on the issues now? Plus: What Bush won't address tonight.
(Hint: "what bush won't address" is "nonexistent" reports of threats, his "father and the military-business-industrial complex" that created Hussein, etc)

When Jeb Bush speaks, people cringe
The governor's lesbian joke about the women arrested in the Rilya Wilson case is the latest example of his mean sense of humor -- when he thinks the media isn't listening.
By Joy-Ann Reid 10/05/02

"A big, big mistake"
Back from his controversial trip to Iraq, Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., talks about his concern over a unilateral strike against Saddam.
By Anthony York 10/04/02

The "conservative" articles are token articles just like every college newspaper in the country has to make it seem slightly "unbiased." Even the conservative articles mostly seem somewhat moderate.

I consider myself moderate or even left-leaning but Salon's political articles make Karl Marx seem like a confederate. They have decent tech articles, though.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
How about in the last couple weeks??

Gore: All talk? The ex-veep advocates more discussion about Bush's handling of the economy, without offering solutions of his own.
By Anthony York [10/02/02]

"More World, less bank" -- fewer protesters Last weekend's lame protests raise the question: Is the nascent anti-globalization movement already dying?
By Joshua Micah Marshall [09/30/02]

Gephardt's big blunder The House Democratic leader decided to go along with Bush's Iraq plan, hoping the issue would go away. It hasn't -- and antiwar Dems fear now their protests will be too late.
By Anthony York [09/28/02]

Democrat disarray As Republicans call Saddam's concession a victory for tough talk, Democrats scramble to find a unified response.
By Anthony York [09/18/02]

or from other sections...

The new racial profilers
Ward Connerly's new crusade would get the government out of the business of tracking everybody's racial identity. But liberals still don't get it. By David Horowitz [2002-08-19]

Mau-mauing the Middle East Palestinians are the latest chic cause on campus. Now American Jews are trying to brand criticism of Israel as anti-Semitic -- and even un-American.
By Michelle Goldberg [09/30/02]

The opportunist Idiocy of the week: Al Gore.
By Andrew Sullivan [09/24/02]

Look, no-one is saying Salon doesn't lean left. But that in no way discredits their journalistic skills. They have bad writing and they have good writing. They have conservative columnists and they have (a lot of) liberal columnists. Overall, I think they put out very positive and rational arguments, which is more than most online mags can say.

By trying to brand them as left-worshipping scum, you guys are only diminishing yourselves. They are not a strictly news publication. They give opinion. Just because they don't split fifty-fifty left-right, doesn't invalidate them. If you are looking for a publication that gives you a right-only viewpoint or a completely balanced left-right viewpoint, Salon probably isn't the place for you. Good luck finding that place, though, 'cause it probably doesn't exist.

Taft

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Taft, are you kidding?!

Twisted statements and half-truths with very slanted opinions is useless to everyone and doesn't help the world become a better place.

The opportunist Idiocy of the week: Al Gore.
By Andrew Sullivan [09/24/02]
This is such a joke! Most Democrats and Liberals think that Al Gore is an idiot. I bet you haven't read his book, have you?

Why are you so heck bent on defending Salon.Com? Do you own their stock or are you an employee?

Give it a rest already.:rolleyes:

happygoodies

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
Re: How about in the last couple weeks??

Originally posted by Taft

Look, no-one is saying Salon doesn't lean left. But that in no way discredits their journalistic skills. They have bad writing and they have good writing. They have conservative columnists and they have (a lot of) liberal columnists. Overall, I think they put out very positive and rational arguments, which is more than most online mags can say.

All of those articles you cited (except for David Horowitz's, because he is the token high-profile crazy far righty) are far-far-left articles about the disappointment of only slightly-left politicians. I read Andrew Sullivan's and he seems moderate and smart, although his article seems like a rare fair piece.

Salon's not a horrible online magazine, but it's clearly far-left in their politics coverage and pretty pretentious in all of their sections.

I read Salon on my Palm at night for mostly the tech articles, which are often very good and in-depth. And they even stick in their political agenda in their sometimes, like last night's "In Greed We Trusted" -- and article about those damn capitalists.

Even still, reading Yellow Times makes Salon seem very even-sided.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Quark
Taft, are you kidding?!

Twisted statements and half-truths with very slanted opinions is useless to everyone and doesn't help the world become a better place.

This is such a joke! Most Democrats and Liberals think that Al Gore is an idiot. I bet you haven't read his book, have you?

Why are you so heck bent on defending Salon.Com? Do you own their stock or are you an employee?

Give it a rest already.:rolleyes:

Why?? Because I like their magazine!! Isn't that obvious?? I neither own stock, nor do I work for them. And I'm not "heck bent" on defending them. I just think that branding them crazy far left is not accurate. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't make me a zealot. Why are YOU so upset that I would DARE defend Salon??? I like the mag, want to see it stay around, and don't think it deserves the bashing that some of you are giving it. Get it!?!?!

And I don't get why you think I'm kidding. Is it because I thought the Gore articles are an example of non-left reporting?? Because "most liberals" think that Al Gore is a joke?? I don't get where you are going.

They are left. Solidly left. But I don't agree that they have "token" right writers to make it appear balanced. Nor do I think that the articles I quoted are disappointment by far-left journalist over more moderate politicians. We simply disagree.

The fact of the matter is that judgement over how far left an entity is, is completely subjective. I'm obviously left of happygoodies and FAR left of Quark. Therefore we have different opinions of the politics of EVERY person and mag out there. If you ask Ann Coulter, she would tell you that every moderate out there is pandering to the left. If you ask Chomskey, he'd tell you they were pandering to the right.

As an example, I probably think that Andrew Sullivan is far more right than you do, happygoodies. You can call me a left-ist a**hole, but it really just comes down to perspective.

Its a matter of perspective. And *I* think Salon is worth a lot more than the two of you give it credit for. Personal opinion.

Taft

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by Taft
... You can call me a left-ist <bad name>, but it really just comes down to perspective.

Its a matter of perspective. And *I* think Salon is worth a lot more than the two of you give it credit for. Personal opinion.

Taft

A. I would never call you a bad name.

B. Take a breath and relax

C. Without extreme far-leftists, we wouldn't know right from wrong -- so we need you.

Quark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.