Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
thats why it's an optional feature that you don't actually have to turn on or use :p

Seriously, what is with a lot of Mac Rumours posters who believe if a feature is offered in a device that they can't see themselves using, they automatically bash it as a terrible thing that nobody wants

I don't think many here have bashed the feature. Criticism of how it was portrayed, how the videos were allegedly fudged is more the point. Many here I feel see it as a nice feature, for some hardly used, and it may end up being a better feature than some of us think. An iPad with split screen gets pretty small, so for me, would hardly use it, but I will use it for some uses I am sure.

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
True. But it's still not possible to concentrate on both at the same time. They are browsing and listening to the TV. Or just watching the TV, not both.

This is not a technology challenge but a human one. Humans just can't do two things at one time in two separate windows independently of each other.

It's not possible. Which is why the Samsung advertisement has a child and a man using one app each on one screen. Not one person using two apps in unison.

And yet, those pesky little humans keep trying... no matter the risk... texting and driving for example.

Silly, them humans... they can't do two things at once... but they keep trying... they do keep trying...

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I thought it was Samsung who makes iPad LCDs??? (among others)

In defence of Samsung, they make the screens that Apple requests.

Like anything, this years model is better than last years. If Sammys screen is better, the iPad screen is still great. Apple could move resources to catching up the screen, but why? Best to evaluate the whole package, and improve what will be of more benefit. Under TC and the boards demand for innovation, I see this happening

Nunt

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
I just dont see the use case for split screen on a tablet...

Tablets (and specifically what Apple originally released the iPad intended for) are for accomplishing tasks on the go with a portable handheld device. Any split screen is just going to make it harder to see each task... its actually easier to switch between apps and see them both full screen... course this is what i do on my computer also - its not like any OS really lets you use 2 apps at the same time (best you can do is make front app window smaller so you can see another apps window, but you still cant interact with both without switching between them).

I really would not want this on my phone or tablet, especially for the use case depicted in the video - seriously who tries to watch 2 shows at once (didnt anyone learn anything from how PIP has failed to gain any usefullness?) - and then he gets a call and both videos keep playing while it is ringing? ROFL - thank you Apple for having basic common sense and realizing people would want everything to be paused when a call comes in... And I actually am on the fence about whether I like the new message notifications that no longer pause everything (the notification at the top can sometimes distract me and i miss some of a video and have to rewind or lose my game)

I have often wished my device had split screen functionality. For example, having a youtube video on one side a messaging app on the other. So you can give a quick reply to to messages while your youtube keeps playing. If I'm just going to type "ok ill get the groceries", I don't need my youtube video paused.

Or if you put on youtube for the music video, so you can listen to music while at the same time browsing, playing games, messaging?

Imo there really is potential use for a a well thought out, well working multitasking feature on tablets. A 10" screen has enough real estate to show two apps at the same time.

I agree that the samsung add is really bad in that it really doesn't show a realistic application of the feature. Watching two vids simulataneously is not going to be a major example of multitasking.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
so, because YOU don't have use for it, you don't think it's worthy feature to add?

I don't think it's a worthy feature, period.

so because YOU don't think any of the already explained examples can benefit you,

NOBODY else should?

Again, not what I said.

I made it quite clear (or so I thought), that FOR ME, split screens is of no benefit on my iPad/a tablet.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
For anybody!?

Oh good god!

I can't comment on whether it's worthy for anyone else.

It's just not a feature that I want/need/wish I had.

There are people posting here saying that they want/need it, so I guess that answers your question.

I will say however, that I suspect that the (vast?) majority of iPad users (i.e not MacRumors geeks!) would not want, need, nor wish they had multi tasking, because if they "needed" it that much, they wouldn't have bought an iPad in the first place.

That's just my personal opinion.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Oh good god!

There are people posting here saying that they want/need it, so I guess that answers your question.

I will say however, that I suspect that the (vast?) majority of iPad users (i.e not MacRumors geeks!) would not want, need, nor wish they had multi tasking, because if they "needed" it that much, they wouldn't have bought an iPad in the first place.

Dont you know the vast majority of ipad users are sheep who are brainwashed by apple and do whatever they're told?

They're really not of course but that's the way Apple's success is often explained away.

You are of course right. If someone truly could not be productive without a ipad, they world not have purchased one. Logic has no place on macrumors though.

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Oh good god!

Bizarre. You keep say it's your opinion and only your opinion and only about your personal use, and then immediately proceed to hypothesize what others need and wish. Then when you are challenged, you go back to screaming it is only about your usage.

Circles you make. Pointless circles.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Bizarre. You keep say it's your opinion and only your opinion and only about your personal use, and then immediately proceed to hypothesize what others need and wish. Then when you are challenged, you go back to screaming it is only about your usage.

Circles you make. Pointless circles.

No, I gave you **MY* take on multitasking **FOR ME** (no want/need/use).

I also said that I don't personally see that anyone else could really "need" multitasking, because they have consciously purchased a device that doesn't do it.

It's like me needing a portable music playing device that works well with iTunes and Apple TVs, surfs the web and can handle my emails, Tweets etc, but also makes phone calls.
Instead of buying an iPhone, I buy an iPod and then moan that I can't make phone calls with it, yet other people can with their similar looking Galaxy phones.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
No, I gave you **MY* take on multitasking **FOR ME** (no want/need/use).

I also said that I don't personally see that anyone else could really "need" multitasking, because they have consciously purchased a device that doesn't do it.

It's like me needing a portable music playing device that works well with iTunes and Apple TVs, surfs the web and can handle my emails, Tweets etc, but also makes phone calls.
Instead of buying an iPhone, I buy an iPod and then moan that I can't make phone calls with it, yet other people can with their similar looking Galaxy phones.

if you stopped before saying

nobody would jump at your comments.
But saying that, you are attempting to apply your own personal belief of it's use and needs/want on the global audience.

YOU don't see a need for it, so the vast majority don't likely need / want it, so therefore its not important and shouldn't be included.

You cannot make a logical jump there. there's giant logical fallacy with that stretch.

The truth of the matter is, we do not KNOW how well received the functionality would be, because it's not there.

You can't say "the ipad sold well enough without it, so therefore, people don't want it"

Why? because everyday you, and I are forced constantly to make choices. To use discrimination (not negative) to pick and choose things that we want. Many users might possibly want the feature. But, the rest of the package itself is so good, that they're willing to ignore that they don't currently have it.

All I'm saying, is that Apple could provide the feature and let the users choose if they use it or not, rather than just saying "you don't need it"

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
if you stopped before saying

nobody would jump at your comments.
But saying that, you are attempting to apply your own personal belief of it's use and needs/want on the global audience.

YOU don't see a need for it, so the vast majority don't likely need / want it, so therefore its not important and shouldn't be included.

You cannot make a logical jump there. there's giant logical fallacy with that stretch.

The truth of the matter is, we do not KNOW how well received the functionality would be, because it's not there.

You can't say "the ipad sold well enough without it, so therefore, people don't want it"

Why? because everyday you, and I are forced constantly to make choices. To use discrimination (not negative) to pick and choose things that we want. Many users might possibly want the feature. But, the rest of the package itself is so good, that they're willing to ignore that they don't currently have it.

All I'm saying, is that Apple could provide the feature and let the users choose if they use it or not, rather than just saying "you don't need it"

I've given my personal take on why **I** don't want/need/have a use for it.

I've given my take on why **I** personally don't think it's that much of a deal breaker for buyers en masse (they have already chosen a device that does not have that particular feature).

I could be wrong, but **I** suspect that it's not that much of a deal breaker for the 200 million or so that have purchased an iPad.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I've given my personal take on why **I** don't want/need/have a use for it.

I've given my take on why **I** personally don't think it's that much of a deal breaker for buyers en masse (they have already chosen a device that does not have that particular feature).

I could be wrong, but **I** suspect that it's not that much of a deal breaker for the 200 million or so that have purchased an iPad.

Aint nothin wrong with that!

kdarling

macrumors P6
OI will say however, that I suspect that the (vast?) majority of iPad users (i.e not MacRumors geeks!) would not want, need, nor wish they had multi tasking, because if they "needed" it that much, they wouldn't have bought an iPad in the first place.

People compromise.

For example, the first iPhone didn't have MMS or video recording, but people bought it anyway, because the other features outweighed the missing.

And, of course, people often don't know what they want / need, until they've had it :)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
People compromise.

For example, the first iPhone didn't have MMS or video recording, but people bought it anyway, because the other features outweighed the missing.

Which is basically agreeing with my point about it not being that important to them in the first place. :)

kdarling said:
And, of course, people often don't know what they want / need, until they've had it :)

Which again agrees with the same point! :D

IMO, this is nothing more than the "me too" culture we live in today, where people are perfectly happy with what they have until they see someone do something they can't.

The fact that they've never wanted or needed to do said action goes out of the window and they get fired up with a sense of entitlement that befits a 9 year old.

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Which is basically agreeing with my point about it not being that important to them in the first place. :)

Which again agrees with the same point! :D

IMO, this is nothing more than the "me too" culture we live in today, where people are perfectly happy with what they have until they see someone do something they can't.

The fact that they've never wanted or needed to do said action goes out of the window and they get fired up with a sense of entitlement that befits a 9 year old.

Yay! You win the internet!

</end thread>

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Samsung.... you did great with the "Wall huggers" but this one is doomed.

I had one of your tablets. While the hardware was nice the multitasking was glitchy with Android... Not a smooth experience.

Try... removable SD Cards.. that will be a hit. Apple has no response for that!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Except that pretty much all advertising is about saying using my product makes you cooler than someone using competitors product... PC users can only blame themselves for being insulted by something as trivial as someone else's opinion.

And actually yes, Samsung has gone to the level of insulting customer in a much more direct way than you are accusing Apple of...

According to Samsung owning an iPad means i am so dumb that i cant find a solution to a problem as simple as watching 2 shows at once without splitscreen on a single device? oh and the recent "wall-hugger" commercial.

Really, the biggest problem with these commercials (and the difference between these and Apple's PC vs Mac commercials) is that they are full of unrealistic made-up scenarios - Apple based their commercials on facts.

Lastly, the biggest thing that apple was trying to point out with the PC vs Mac ads is the misconception a lot of PC users have about Macs and the misconception that PCs are just far superior in every way (which is just not the case). The fact that PC users were insulted by this is actually exactly what Apple was trying to point out, PC users get so defensive over PC's being better than Macs they are insulted when someone points out the flaws in Windows and the security and stability of another Platform - when the real problem is they are misinformed. The PC guy was constantly flabbergasted by how the mac was simpler - but he just couldn't accept that and had to find a way to try to turn it into something that makes PC better.

I always found the PC guy in these commercials to be a very good representation (and even quoting word for word) of the Anti-Mac PC Community. In fact the brutal truth being pointed out is probably exactly why PC users were so insulted... If the commercials were not an accurate representation of the PC, they would not have been insulted. Kinda like how people are laughing at Samsung and their inaccurate commercials instead of being insulted....

You missed the point of the PC v Mac ads, Apple was acting like it was far far Superior.

The campaign was also not aimed at the Anti-Mac PC users, it was aimed at the average user, trying to convince them that Macs were superior. Apple was not pointing our misconceptions about Macs, it was making fun of all the things PCs do badly.... It was making PCs look bad.

You have some real hate against PCs. Former prisoner of microsoft perhaps?

I enjoyed the PC v Mac ads, they were funny, I also enjoy the Samsung ads, for the humour also. I can see the Blatant BS all these companies put in their Marketing.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
If I don't do it on my computer which can multitask, I won't do it on my Tablet. Honestly do you multitask on your computer?:apple:

Just saw this reply.

Yes, I do multitask on my computer both at home and at work.

At work I have the basic workstation my work provides but have dual 20inch monitors. I almost always have something up on both monitors. At least 90% of the time.

And at home, I have dual 24inch widescreen hd monitors on my gaming pc. Same thing as at work. I keep things up on both. When I use my laptop at home, I often (not as much as the desktops) keep splitscreen windows going.

But I am a developer (data warehouse, ectl). So my personal preferences may differ from many others.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Just saw this reply.

Yes, I do multitask on my computer both at home and at work.

At work I have the basic workstation my work provides but have dual 20inch monitors. I almost always have something up on both monitors. At least 90% of the time.

And at home, I have dual 24inch widescreen hd monitors on my gaming pc. Same thing as at work. I keep things up on both. When I use my laptop at home, I often (not as much as the desktops) keep splitscreen windows going.

But I am a developer (data warehouse, ectl). So my personal preferences may differ from many others.

You need a 2nd iPad then, rather than an iPad (with a single screen) that "multitasks" on 9.7" of screen.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
You need a 2nd iPad then, rather than an iPad (with a single screen) that "multitasks" on 9.7" of screen.

What I notice in my travels is that people multitask with an iPad and an iPhone. Running videos on the iPad while doing iMessage and emails on the iPhone. Same idea. I'm sure many of these folks would love to do this on one device.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
What I notice in my travels is that people multitask with an iPad and an iPhone. Running videos on the iPad while doing iMessage and emails on the iPhone. Same idea. I'm sure many of these folks would love to do this on one device.

I still don't think that's feasible on a 9.7" screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.