Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What’s that got to do with the battery? Other than a rather failed attempt to score a point…
I am not surprised you cant see the revelance...
It is very funny to watch as you so seriously want to paint Sasung in a such a bad light and throw shade.
But are so blind to the fact that Apple has has it's share of shady tactics and outright lies.

then lets not forget YOU brought Apple into this thread.....

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
It is very funny to watch as you so seriously want to paint Sasung in a such a bad light and throw shade.
But are so blind to the fact that Apple has has it's share of shady tactics and outright lies.

Why yes, I did. And I called out their behavior as appaling.

Funny how so many Android apologists here though are happy to give Samsung a pass.

Reactions: LFC2020

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017

BTW, nothing comes close to the Samsung Note 7. We can all giggle at Job's "you're holding it wrong" insanity, but say what you will, at least that device didn't just bloody spontaneously combust.

So if you're all done trying to "score points" by attempting deflect about other issues that ALL manufacturers have gone through, let's focus on the subject of the thread.

Whataboutism isn't welcome here.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Why yes, I did. And I called out their behavior as appaling.

Funny how so many Android apologists here though are happy to give Samsung a pass.
that is where you are wrong...YOU are only here to cause trouble and stir people up in the "Alternative Section". You are not a regular here...you don't post on aregular basis. Your only post was to say something negative about Samsung and reference to something that Apple did years ago. Sounds like you are trolling and quite a bit bitter to be honest.

Then me personally...I am an Apple fan. I have had evey iPhone since day one! I upgrade every year. I have a hosue full of apple products and will continue to buy more. My M1 14 inch MBP is the best laptop I have ever owned.
My daily driver is an 13 pro max I use it more than any other phone. But i also have an samsung S22 ultra and an google pixel 6 pro

But i am not blinded by the Apple brand...they make just as many mistakes and gaffs as any other huge corporation.
They have the bottom dollar in mind over anything else.

Then if you don't like the Android people here...don't post here. that is pretty simple.
I love Android phones because quite simply...they have more features and innovation that my iPhones do.
Android pushes the envelope more than Apple does.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
BTW, nothing comes close to the Samsung Note 7. We can all giggle at Job's "you're holding it wrong" insanity, but say what you will, at least that device didn't just bloody spontaneously combust.

So if you're all done trying to "score points" by attempting deflect about other issues that ALL manufacturers have gone through, let's focus on the subject of the thread.

that holding it wrong was a horrble design failuire from Apple. They designed a phone with external attennae that would lose cell phone reception if you held the phone in a normal fashion. Then they denied the failure and blamed thei customers saying "yor're holding it wrong" OMG seriosuly who does that? Then here you are defending them for it laughing it of.....lol.

then speaking about Whataboutism. You were that one that started this in your very first post...
what about Samsung doing something Apple got critizised for.....
then you just did it agian with mentioning the Note 7......seriosuly dude you need to get a life.....

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
then speaking about Whataboutism. You were that one that started this in your very first post...
Unsure how one talks about this issue on an Apple centric site without calling out the elephant in the room.

Of course I mentioned it. I had to. Otherwise the first reply would have been "but Apple".

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Unsure how one talks about this issue on an Apple centric site without calling out the elephant in the room.

Of course I mentioned it. I had to. Otherwise the first reply would have been "but Apple".
heck...you even started a whole thread about it...you must have been bitter about this for a long time....
You didn't just "mention" it. It was what you lead your whole post with.

Then while this is an Apple centric site. This section is not Apple centric. Then to be honest MR leads with a quite a few Android headlines.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
heck...you even started a whole thread about it...you must have been bitter about this for a long time....
You didn't just "mention" it. It was what you lead your whole post with.

These weirdo assumptions about a random person on the internet is wild bro. Get some help, it's just a cell phone that will be obsolete in 3 years.

I think he started the thread because GEEKBENCH BANNED SAMSUNG.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Anyways, do you guys think the 'GOS' toggle update would be enough? Is there a way Samsung would improve the thermal dissipation by updating the vapor chamber or by doing a hardware revision? They have the funds to produce a myriad of Samsung models, so I don't see why they couldn't make a 'better' version of their S22 line with better thermal management.

The SOC is bad but maybe there's a way to mitigate the heat? I'm curious as to what the upcoming other Android phones will do to overcome this problem.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC

My husband’s first Apple watch had a battery swell that burst the screen - not uncommon either. My iPhone 6 Plus had a definite bend. Not making excuses or being an apologist or whatabouting, just don’t understand feeling threatened/vindictive when Samsung innovates more than Apple or when one of these companies screws up. It’s a real phenomenon that people come into the alternatives forum and diss other companies for no reason and/or make gross generalizations and/or present false information. These are giant global companies, all out for maximum profit and it’s not my job to elevate or tear down any of them so I don’t understand the mindset. I guess it validates purchases or company loyalty? I use and enjoy both company’s devices and they each have their benefits, drawbacks, snafus, and debacles. I like the competition between them - it benefits us as consumers and encourages innovation.

Reactions: jamezr

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
My husband’s first Apple watch had a battery swell that burst the screen - not uncommon either. My iPhone 6 Plus had a definite bend. Not making excuses or being an apologist or whatabouting, just don’t understand feeling threatened/vindictive when Samsung innovates more than Apple or when one of these companies screws up. It’s a real phenomenon that people come into the alternatives forum and diss other companies for no reason and/or make gross generalizations and/or present false information. These are giant global companies, all out for maximum profit and it’s not my job to elevate or tear down any of them so I don’t understand the mindset. I guess it validates purchases or company loyalty? I use and enjoy both company’s devices and they each have their benefits, drawbacks, snafus, and debacles. I like the competition between them - it benefits us as consumers and encourages innovation.

I’m not negating any of the above. All this thread is about is the discovery of Samsung throttling various applications with no honest to dog good reason.

And this was serious enough for Geekbench to delist FOUR YEARS worth of Samsung devices from their site.

As such it’s newsworthy.

Reactions: LFC2020 and koigirl

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
that is where you are wrong...YOU are only here to cause trouble and stir people up in the "Alternative Section".

BTW: I didn’t put the thread here - it was moved by a mod. I added it to the Apple, Inc and tech Industry forum…

1646688723497.png

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Yes i don’t really understand why they did it - to keep from overheating? Can someone please explain? I find that at this point these phones/processors are all so fast for average user (me!). I remember a time when there was some lag but it was many iterations ago.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes i don’t really understand why they did it - to keep from overheating? Can someone please explain? I find that at this point these phones/processors are all so fast for average user (me!). I remember a time when there was some lag but it was many iterations ago.

I suspect it’s more for battery life. Do you really need to throttle Facebook and instagram and do these apps really have a history of generating more heat than the device can handle?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I really see no absolute case to answer here, so many products we buy are limited by certain set of factors from our cars to vacuum cleaners

Why users think they have a right to know how any OEM optimised all aspects of design is beyond me

Given the resulting product for-fills most users expectations etc then I see this as a lot of hot air for those that want to shout for no good reason or it's made fools of them for relying on 3rd party synthetic benchmarks

Whilst I agree the exclusion of Geekbench can seem odd, Equally you could view given this software is probably run once or twice in the lifetime of the product (by a few) and need not be considered as general daily users apps etc worthy of balanced optimisation etc , maybe fortunately is the minor issue LOL

If Samsung give a toggle to switch GOS off and allow users to shred their batteries without causing excess warranty claims then good on them and result for the few who need this

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is interesting. If Samsung is telling the truth, then everybody pretty much jumped the gun.

Yeah this really is all about nothing. It has been so blown out of proportion. It just shows how fragile the Apple trolls are. They have to put down other brands to make themselves feel better about their brand choices. It is really sad to watch the dislike and hate they have for anything that doesn't have an :apple: logo on it.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
This is interesting. If Samsung is telling the truth, then everybody pretty much jumped the gun.

Sorry, I must have missed where apps such as Instagram, TikTok, Netflix, Microsoft Office, Google Keep, Spotify, Snapchat, and YouTube Music were all games.

These were just a microscopic few of the throttled apps.

Why is a gaming service throttling none gaming apps AT ALL TIMES?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry, I must have missed where apps such as Instagram, TikTok, Netflix, Microsoft Office, Google Keep, Spotify, Snapchat, and YouTube Music were all games.

These were just a microscopic few of the throttled apps.

Why is a gaming service throttling none gaming apps AT ALL TIMES?
so horrible huh..throttling apps to save battery life. Then a little software update fixes it and puts the choice in the users hands.
Not at all like the Apple issue you mentioned in your first post huh? But of course you were just as outraged about Apple lied and covered up the battery issues.
See the difference between the 2 issues? Apple denied there was an issue until people had hard evidence and filed a class action suit.
Samsung owned up to the issue and will push out a software update to fix it.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
so horrible huh..throttling apps to save battery life. Then a little software update fixes it and puts the choice in the users hands.
Not at all like the Apple issue you mentioned in your first post huh? But of course you were just as outraged about Apple lied and covered up the battery issues.
See the difference between the 2 issues? Apple denied there was an issue until people had hard evidence and filed a class action suit.
Samsung owned up to the issue and will push out a software update to fix it.

Apple were the first to do something stupid. We do not know now how they would have handled it if then was now.

Meanwhile this service has been apparently implemented for years and only now when there's an outcry are Samsung addressing it.

And why do you wish to ignore the fact that a "gaming" system was limiting normal apps?

How is that any different from what Apple was doing?

I'm happy to point fingers at Apple and say what they did was catagorically bad.

Some folks here however seem to be happy to say that this action by Samsung is OK.

How is it OK for Samsung to limit the performance of apps "to help the battery" but when Apple did it it was apparently evil?

And don't give me this "Samsung owned up" nonsense. They ONLY did that after it was proven conclusively that this service was doing what it was doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.