Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Apple were the first to do something stupid. We do not know now how they would have handled it if then was now.

Meanwhile this service has been apparently implemented for years and only now when there's an outcry are Samsung addressing it.

And why do you wish to ignore the fact that a "gaming" system was limiting normal apps?

How is that any different from what Apple was doing?

I'm happy to point fingers at Apple and say what they did was catagorically bad.

Some folks here however seem to be happy to say that this action by Samsung is OK.

How is it OK for Samsung to limit the performance of apps "to help the battery" but when Apple did it it was apparently evil?

And don't give me this "Samsung owned up" nonsense. They ONLY did that after it was proven conclusively that this service was doing what it was doing.
No it is not ok for Samsung to throttle apps behind the gaming app disguise. But there is no way it rises to the level you and others have tried to make it out to be.
Then Samsung has very quickly owned up to it. Unlike Apple and their issues. They never own up to anything....

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
No it is not ok for Samsung to throttle apps behind the gaming app disguise. But there is no way it rises to the level you and others have tried to make it out to be.
Then Samsung has very quickly owned up to it. Unlike Apple and their issues. They never own up to anything....
Again, you are equating two different time periods.

No one knows how Apple would have handled this differently if the roles were reversed and it is totally disingenuous to think you could.

It is entirely possible that had the roles been reversed then Apple would have owned up faster. It's also entirely possible they wouldnt have done.

Besides, none of this is about owning up. It's about the fact it wad being done at all.

The apps being throttled were not caught up in a net - they were specifically listed and called out.

That's the outrage. Not that they finally owned up.

Reactions: LFC2020

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Anyways, do you guys think the 'GOS' toggle update would be enough? Is there a way Samsung would improve the thermal dissipation by updating the vapor chamber or by doing a hardware revision? They have the funds to produce a myriad of Samsung models, so I don't see why they couldn't make a 'better' version of their S22 line with better thermal management.

The SOC is bad but maybe there's a way to mitigate the heat? I'm curious as to what the upcoming other Android phones will do to overcome this problem.
Probably difficult to do anything about it. The SoC is just bad (or some pointed out that Samsung's fabrication being the bad one).
Qualcomm immediately turned to TMSC for future Snapdragon 8 gen 1 fabrication.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Again, you are equating two different time periods.

No one knows how Apple would have handled this differently if the roles were reversed and it is totally disingenuous to think you could.

It is entirely possible that had the roles been reversed then Apple would have owned up faster. It's also entirely possible they wouldnt have done.

Besides, none of this is about owning up. It's about the fact it wad being done at all.

The apps being throttled were not caught up in a net - they were specifically listed and called out.

That's the outrage. Not that they finally owned up.
OMG...stop making excuses for Apple. We don't know how they would have acted today....but we do know how the DID act now don't we?

It is all about how the issues were handled.
We have 2 examples of a corporations screwing up.

Apple denied it..blamed their customers. Their actions led to them profitting by millions of dollars.
Only offered to provide a fix after a class action suit was filed with definitive proof.

Samsung quickly owned up to the issue and will provide a software fix soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Sorry, I must have missed where apps such as Instagram, TikTok, Netflix, Microsoft Office, Google Keep, Spotify, Snapchat, and YouTube Music were all games.

These were just a microscopic few of the throttled apps.

Why is a gaming service throttling none gaming apps AT ALL TIMES?
Did you even read it. The list is just an identifier NOT a list of throttled apps.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
That seems like it was all speculation based on the list. Samsung has clearly said the list was to easily identify apps and only throttled those identified as games.
Care to provide evidence from Samsung to back up this assertion?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Care to provide evidence from Samsung to back up this assertion?
Why do I need evidence on what was said from the horse's mouth?

It would be on you to show proof that Samsung is lying.

I personally think Samsung is telling the truth, as most of those non game apps on the list wouldn't even need to be throttled. Would make no sense.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Why do I need evidence on what was said from the horse's mouth?

It would be on you to show proof that Samsung is lying.

I personally think Samsung is telling the truth, as most of those non game apps on the list wouldn't even need to be throttled. Would make no sense.

You asked me for a list - I provided it to you. In accordance to the MR rules of debate I'm requesting you provide what I requested.

If they've said something that qualifies your statement, then it should be simple enough to provide it, right?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You asked me for a list - I provided it to you. In accordance to the MR rules of debate I'm requesting you provide what I requested.

If they've said something that qualifies your statement, then it should be simple enough to provide it, right?

I didn't ask you for a list.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Sorry did you not read this ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Thank you for providing that.

However, if this were true, then

a) “whether a newly installed app is a game or not, and has nothing to do with GOS” - What does even mean? They’ve admitted there’s a list - and its (according top them) designed to ascertain if its a game or not. But if it’s nothing to do with GOS then why even have the list? Why even check to see if its a game? What does this do? There’s double-speak going on in the statement

b) If GOS only works for “product safety…running high end games” then why did this effect everyday apps - games included, but not benchmark apps?

c) Games come out all the time - and there are over 3m apps on Google Play. How was this list curated and why?

d) If this is so ‘OK’ - then WHY ARE SAMSUNG CHANGING THIS NOW ITS COME TO LIGHT?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

a) “whether a newly installed app is a game or not, and has nothing to do with GOS” - What does even mean? They’ve admitted there’s a list - and its (according top them) designed to ascertain if its a game or not. But if it’s nothing to do with GOS then why even have the list? Why even check to see if its a game? What does this do? There’s double-speak going on in the statement

b) If GOS only works for “product safety…running high end games” then why did this effect everyday apps - games included, but not benchmark apps?

c) Games come out all the time - and there are over 3m apps on Google Play. How was this list curated and why?

d) If this is so ‘OK’ - then WHY ARE SAMSUNG CHANGING THIS NOW ITS COME TO LIGHT?

So you didn't read it. ???

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Sorry I do not see the same ambiguity as you

a) The list is too quickly distinguish if the app is a game or not - seems simple to me now Samsung explained this.

b) I do not think we actually seen say FPS results like with games on any other app, including system apps, this was just speculation by others because of the list ie They assumed the list was for things to be throttled. Samsung statement puts that right now including that benchmark apps are not games so not restricted

c) Sorry we would also be guessing how the list is curated, not sure if this curiosity leads anywhere

d) Android is all about options and it seems the option to bypass this was according to Samsung was missed, I read this as users have found a software bug and Samsung is correcting that, what more can users ask for. Apparently you can already disable GOS and games get 5 to 10 FPS more but battery takes a hit LOL

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Sorry I do not see the same ambiguity as you

a) The list is too quickly distinguish if the app is a game or not - seems simple to me now Samsung explained this.

b) I do not think we actually seen say FPS results like with games on any other app, including system apps, this was just speculation by others because of the list ie They assumed the list was for things to be throttled. Samsung statement puts that right now including that benchmark apps are not games so not restricted

c) Sorry we would also be guessing how the list is curated, not sure if this curiosity leads anywhere

d) Android is all about options and it seems the option to bypass this was according to Samsung was missed, I read this as users have found a software bug and Samsung is correcting that, what more can users ask for. Apparently you can already disable GOS and games get 5 to 10 FPS more but battery takes a hit LOL

Thank you for the reply:

a) Given how quickly games come to market I’m unsure how this list would have helped anything
b) The list wasn’t just speculated - it was extracted from something Samsung generated
c) It is important to ask - there’s a list. The list was used to control things - it must have done or else why when one user renamed the identifier of an app was it throttled so badly?
d) A bug is when someone misses something, or makes a bad decision on how to handle a thing. This was a specific attempt to do something - it’s not a bug - this was a deliberate attempt to manage battery performance - and not a particularly good way at that.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thank you for the reply:

a) Given how quickly games come to market I’m unsure how this list would have helped anything
b) The list wasn’t just speculated - it was extracted from something Samsung generated
c) It is important to ask - there’s a list. The list was used to control things - it must have done or else why when one user renamed the identifier of an app was it throttled so badly?
d) A bug is when someone misses something, or makes a bad decision on how to handle a thing. This was a specific attempt to do something - it’s not a bug - this was a deliberate attempt to manage battery performance - and not a particularly good way at that.
The list was not speculation but what it was used for was wrongly speculated by some

You get regular updates from Samsung for 4 years now. We can only presume the GOS list will also be updated with new Game releases

I think Samsung have been quite clear that they missed this :

3.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thank you for the reply:

What is so funny about your trying to paint Samsung in a bad light, is the S22 Ultra and 13 Pro Max both perform the same. In everyday use I can't tell the difference between them
I have both phones and using them side by side I can't tell a difference in performance. So even if apps are being slowed down. It does not affect performance for my s22 Ultra at all.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
The update that removes the throttling is now available in the Galaxy Store app.

Edited: It's most likely going to need a software update too which is already out in Korea. I'll report back when it's out in my region.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
The firmware update is now out for the Exynos models and yeah, it seems much snappier! I mainly tested it with Genshin Impact and most of the micro stuttering that I had before is now gone. It's not perfect of course and there's a lot of room for improvement for the Exynos model and it's GPU drivers, but so far this seems quite promising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.