Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I’ve currently got a P20 Pro and in my opinion even that’s a better camera than the S10. I’d love the Note 10 I just hope Samsung doesn’t disappoint.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seriously looking forward to Note10 and Mate 30 Pro, I do wish Samsung were more competitive on the Fast Charging and Camera though. I hope the Note10 will bring something special with its camera like a class leading Night Mode, if not Zoom.

Let's wait and see how they pan out.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Seriously looking forward to Note10 and Mate 30 Pro, I do wish Samsung were more competitive on the Fast Charging and Camera though. I hope the Note10 will bring something special with its camera like a class leading Night Mode, if not Zoom.

Samsung need a great night mode and great zoom, think they need both if they are going to catch up to Huawei, otherwise they will get left behind, they are already probably losing a lot of sales to Huawei.

Today i noticed a 60% profit drop For Samsung, they aren't doing enough in the camera department. Great phones but their cameras aren't great, they are good just not good enough in my opinion.

I don't expect much change in the note 10, I think it will be S11 and Note 11 before Samsung start making serious upgrades in their phone cameras.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Samsung need a great night mode and great zoom, think they need both if they are going to catch up to Huawei, otherwise they will get left behind, they are already probably losing a lot of sales to Huawei.

Today i noticed a 60% profit drop For Samsung, they aren't doing enough in the camera department. Great phones but their cameras aren't great, they are good just not good enough in my opinion.

I don't expect much change in the note 10, I think it will be S11 and Note 11 before Samsung start making serious upgrades in their phone cameras.
I hope they don't do with the Note10 what they did with the S10 5G. Essentially they gave the most limited in availability S10 the best specs and then left the S10+ with a good camera, but nothing much better than a P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro of last year, which baffles me, as Samsung used to own on this area.
db818dbc79812c4292dc139ccd35784b.jpg

Yep, saw their profit drop, unfortunately that is life in Android, eat or be eaten, love it

It's super competitive, and the big guys feel it when they start getting complacent. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of Samsung's descent, but I get a feeling they have a tough road ahead of them with the Chinese OEMs all being aggressively competitive

The only way to stop the Chinese OEMs like Huawei, OPPO/OnePlus and Vivo is to play politics... If the USA can get all other countries to stop importing or using Chinese OEM devices, then I see Samsung and Apple staying on top for a very long time to come. It's not going to be Smartphone functionality or productivity that decides who stays on top, it will the stupid politics.

I dread the day I have to go back to anything less than 40W fast charging and less than 1.5 day heavy use battery life.

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019

My friends and family bit dissapointed with s10s camera so i am definitely will be waiting for Note 10. It will be my first Note.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I hope they don't do with the Note10 what they did with the S10 5G. Essentially they gave the most limited in availability S10 the best specs and then left the S10+ with a good camera, but nothing much better than a P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro of last year, which baffles me, as Samsung used to own on this area.
db818dbc79812c4292dc139ccd35784b.jpg

Yep, saw their profit drop, unfortunately that is life in Android, eat or be eaten, love it

It's super competitive, and the big guys feel it when they start getting complacent. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of Samsung's descent, but I get a feeling they have a tough road ahead of them with the Chinese OEMs all being aggressively competitive

The only way to stop the Chinese OEMs like Huawei, OPPO/OnePlus and Vivo is to play politics... If the USA can get all other countries to stop importing or using Chinese OEM devices, then I see Samsung and Apple staying on top for a very long time to come. It's not going to be Smartphone functionality or productivity that decides who stays on top, it will the stupid politics.

I dread the day I have to go back to anything less than 40W fast charging and less than 1.5 day heavy use battery life.

Don’t get me wrong I like Samsung phones and love the note series.

I really wanted the Note 9 but it’s camera while being ok isn’t brilliant and given that I have a P20 Pro, I’d feel like I’m downgrading if I buy a Note 9 or S10. Rcause I wouldn’t have things like the great zoom or low light.

I’d love to see Samsung compete and start knocking out some great cameras.

If the note 10 matches Huawei cameras in zoom and at night then I’d buy one.
[doublepost=1556635186][/doublepost]

I really wanted the Note 9 but it’s camera while being ok isn’t brilliant and given that I have a P20 Pro, I’d feel like I’m downgrading if I buy a Note 9 or S10. Rcause I wouldn’t have things like the great zoom or low light.

Oh and I get great battery life on my P20 Pro and it charges quick, I wouldn’t get the same camera or battery experience on the S10 or Note 9 so it would be a definite downgrade.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
My friends and family bit dissapointed with s10s camera so i am definitely will be waiting for Note 10. It will be my first Note.
Nice. Nothing like your first Galaxy Note, you will either find the SPen super useful or unnecessary. I find the SPen incredibly useful and still miss it a lot daily

If I could get my P30 Pro's Camera, Battery Life and Supercharging with an SPen and flat screen, that would be the ultimate device for me.... Before Foldables takeover of course.

Foldable device with Stylus over everything

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Great camera and battery life and fast charging are the most important things to me on a phone, not too worried about display and speakers.

Huawei are poor on video quality though with sound and no 4K 60FPS so they need to work on that.

So I’m not a Huawei fanboy they have weak areas too.
[doublepost=1556635421][/doublepost]
Nice. Nothing like your first Galaxy Note, you will either find the SPen super useful or unnecessary. I find the SPen incredibly useful and still miss it a lot daily

If I could get my P30 Pro's Camera, Battery Life and Supercharging with an SPen and flat screen, that would be the ultimate device for me.... Before Foldables takeover of course.

That would be my perfect phone too, don’t think Samsung will bring out a premium note with flatscreen though unfortunately.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019

Foldable device with Stylus over everything

So far its all good news for Note 10 in every way. Like i said before i haven't had luck with Note series so can't wait :)
[doublepost=1556635771][/doublepost]What stopping huawei from making Note rival with a pen and all?

Last edited:

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah could you imagine if Huawei made a note? They would really rip holes in Samsung sales as well as Apple then even more so.

They should do it but maybe its to do with patents or something?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 10.12.28.png

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1123047663388094465

https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-10-curved-display-camera-hole-punch_id115746

Please stop this. First the OnePlus 7 turns out to have a curved screen, and now the Note 10 is rumoured (by a usually quite reliable source - his tweet did come true regarding the 1P7) to make an even bigger deal of the screen curve than previous models??

I get that some like the curve on big phones because it makes them easier to reach around with the hand and slide into pockets, and because they think it looks neat I guess. But to me the whole concept just goes completely against the usefulness of the S Pen. And against productivity in general - the curved part is literally work space sacrificed for looks and pocketability. All in all = it goes precisely against the main selling point of the Note.

I wish they would just make at least one Note 10 with a flat screen for those who prefer that. Look at IceUniverse's twitter - there are quite a few people complaining about the curved screen. So have the Note 10E be a "pocketable Note" version, maybe a bit smaller and with a curved screen for those who want the S Pen but not a max size phone. Kind of a S10+ with a S Pen. And then have the Note 10 or Note 10 Pro be a straight up productivity slab, unapologetically huge and flat, which really is what the Note series should be and be known for being anyway.

Bleh. So fed up with curved screens at this point. Probably will end up being the one thing that prevents me from buying the Note 10, just as it was with the 8 and the 9.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Not sure if anything is new but model numbers revealed as per the vid

@1:56 the milky pure solid white just too beautiful. Much better than pearl.
[doublepost=1556969294][/doublepost]
Screenshot_2019-05-04_212526.jpg

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
This gives confidence that the Note10 will charge faster than the current crop of Samsung flagships in the market. Maybe 30W?
e2567cd72d077e9bf2277982c7e69474.jpg

LOL @ the way they're sprinkling Note 10 hype over the internets lately :D

Anyway, if true I definitely wouldn't mind. Fast charging is one thing I LOVE about my 6T. Just this morning was on my way out the door to move a ton of boxes across town with the car, noticed that I had forgot to charge and battery down to 12%... 10 minutes later it was up to 30% which lasted me all afternoon with pretty heavy navigation use.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
LOL @ the way they're sprinkling Note 10 hype over the internets lately :D

Anyway, if true I definitely wouldn't mind. Fast charging is one thing I LOVE about my 6T. Just this morning was on my way out the door to move a ton of boxes across town with the car, noticed that I had forgot to charge and battery down to 12%... 10 minutes later it was up to 30% which lasted me all afternoon with pretty heavy navigation use.
Indeed

That's the thing about Fast Charging, you don't need it until you REALLY need it

Reactions: Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Indeed

That's the thing about Fast Charging, you don't need it until you REALLY need it
Yup :) it's like a kind of insurance really. One of those things that just eases the mind and definitely makes a phone more enjoyable to use overall. I still like my iPhone 7 Plus but man does it charge slowly, todays situation with the moving would have been hell if that were my current main phone.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

[doublepost=1556635186][/doublepost]

Oh and I get great battery life on my P20 Pro and it charges quick, I wouldn’t get the same camera or battery experience on the S10 or Note 9 so it would be a definite downgrade.

Although upgrade and downgrade is often a personal thing you do leave out some important things regarding the Note 9. I also owned the P20 Pro but I returned it after 3 weeks as I felt that $850 for a phone without warranty was not worth it. I also purchased the phone before much of the controversy came out and was still on AT&T. They are not compatible with Verizons network here in the US.

Anyway, from my personal experience

-The Note 9 definitely has the nicer screen, higher res, more ppi.

-Battery life is excellent on the 9 and noticed no advantage there.

-The S pen is awesome and very convenient. Especially photos with a group. Just click the button on the pen. Signing documents via the phone, making notes on a document. Fantastic for business purpose.

-Wireless charging / fast charging. Charges pretty fast. Not as fast as the P20 but since the battery last so long its really a minor thing. I should say it made no difference in my life.

-SD card expanded storage. Big thing for me with movies and music. An extra 512 GB is a lot!

-IP 68 vs 67 rating

-Many more modem bands available.

-Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2

-Note 9 has a better processor.

-Video image stabilization is definitely better on the 9. Not sure if optical stabilization is even a feature on the P20.

The best part of the P20 Pro was the camera for photos, not video, otherwise it is not as nice as the Note 9 in my opinon. I prefer to use Canon EOS 80D for photography vs a cell phone.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm getting excited for this phone. The Fold hasn't materialized yet (not that I'd want gen 1 anyway), and while I like the S10, it's still not compelling enough for me to upgrade from my S6 edge+! The Note 10 is shaping up to be a pretty amazing device. I hope the front camera is hidden under the screen :)

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I'm getting excited for this phone. The Fold hasn't materialized yet (not that I'd want gen 1 anyway), and while I like the S10, it's still not compelling enough for me to upgrade from my S6 edge+! The Note 10 is shaping up to be a pretty amazing device. I hope the front camera is hidden under the screen :)

Congrats for hanging on to your s6 for years :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Congrats for hanging on to your s6 for years :)

Thanks, the phone is still amazing! I have to clear photos off once or twice a year to keep it running fast (I opted for the 32GB model, which is my only small regret), and had to replace the battery last year. Battery life is below average (this was when thin was still in... 6.9mm; the following year most manufacturers started adding 1mm thickness to get a more reasonable battery in there). 16MP camera is still nice. I really enjoy the extra detail and wish 16MP was the norm in 2019, but I can understand why 12MP is favored. This phone has been so good I literally have been waiting for the awkward phase of notches, fingerprint readers on the back, etc. to be over. Give me a headphone jack in the Note 10 and I'm almost guaranteed to buy.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
This would be amazing if true for the Note10.

Samsung's announcement hints at 100W fast charging for the Galaxy Note 10
Samsung has moved to the top of the field in the fast charging wars by introducing today a pair of new Type-C power delivery (PD) controllers. The SE8A and MM101 both are embedded with an eFlash feature that allows for firmware updates. Both controllers also provide up to 100 watts of power (20V / 5A). The SE8A contains an extra security feature called Secure Element making it the first PD controller to offer an extra level of security. The MM101 can sense moisture which could stop the charging process in situations where the user could receive a fatal shock. It also supports the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for product authentication. Both chips have "over-voltage" protection.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-unveils-a-pair-of-100W-power-delivery-controllers_id116375

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.