Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
What I don’t get about the S20 Ultra is it seems to compete against the Note 10. Why would Samsung do this? i‘m an iPhone user but I do look at other devices. I have to admit that the iPhone is getting a little boring with the lack of software features, however what puts me off other devices with Android is the lack of regular updates.

Samsung devices, the Note in particular have a lot more features. I wish Apple would make the Apple Pencil usable on the iPhone (even if it were on the bigger Max phone).

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
What I don’t get about the S20 Ultra is it seems to compete against the Note 10. Why would Samsung do this? i‘m an iPhone user but I do look at other devices. I have to admit that the iPhone is getting a little boring with the lack of software features, however what puts me off other devices with Android is the lack of regular updates.

Samsung devices, the Note in particular have a lot more features. I wish Apple would make the Apple Pencil usable on the iPhone (even if it were on the bigger Max phone).
Well it's a 2020 model, it needs to be improved on the 2019 models or there's no point. And the Note 10 will be 7 months old by the S20 launch.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Re updates, but its been several years now Samsung push out monthly security updates

FYI From Android Authority:

Traditionally, Samsung hasn’t been the best at providing timely Android updates.

The company typically waits to ship devices with the latest version of Android until after the release of its Galaxy S flagships, and security updates usually take a while to make it through the pipeline.

It looks like the South Korean company has finally started to buck that trend.

Android 10
Samsung began pushing out the Android 10 update to the Galaxy S10 line in November, which was way ahead of schedule. Then, the company began releasing the update on Galaxy Note 10 devices a couple of weeks later. It even pushed the update out to the Galaxy M20 and M30 budget devices.

Now, the recent announcement of the Samsung Galaxy A71 and A51 promises Android 10 out of the box. Though we don’t know when exactly we will see these devices, they are expected to launch before next generation’s Galaxy S11 series. Plus, the upcoming Galaxy Note 10 Lite and Galaxy S10 Lite are also expected to launch soon with the latest version of Android on board.

It’s true there are still many Samsung devices that haven’t received the Android 10 update and likely never will, but at least the company isn’t waiting for next year’s flagship devices to start pushing it to select current and upcoming handsets.

Security updates
It doesn’t stop there either. The Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus on the latest beta release have already received the January security patch weeks ahead of schedule. The company also began pushing the December patch to the Galaxy Note 9 and Note 10 lines days early at the tail end of November.

This is even more impressive given that Google has struggled to provide timely security patches to Pixel devices recently. Both November and December security updates fell several weeks behind, and the shiny new Pixel Feature Drops are still not here for many users.

The point is, Samsung is improving its software update rollouts and other manufacturers should take notice. The company has a long way to go, but it has also come a long way, and it’s headed in the right direction. We can’t say that for every Android OEM.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

I agree, they're stepping on their own toes.

My guess is they want to have a phone that competes during that end of year period when the iPhone releases. They can justify the Note because it has an S-pen but for all purposes its just a beefed up S model. The other reasoning is probably to mimic the iPhone model of budget, pro, pro max (even though the small S20 isnt really a budget device).

This also isnt anything new for Samsung. They always have a ton of different phones on the market with different target price points and different markets. They probably should have simplified it a long time ago but its working so why change it I guess.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Wow only 2 days to go I forgot about it completaly, hope there will be s20ultra dummy demo for customers to look at.

Reactions: jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have to admit that the iPhone is getting a little boring with the lack of software features, however what puts me off other devices with Android is the lack of regular updates.

Right there! Sums it up for me... that's why I moved on (awaiting on what Apple does in the fall). But I'm still in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad and iMac.. can still get iMessages and everything comes with the Apple ecosystem. I just needed a change... the Note10+ features is a joy to have.

I'm using AirMessage for Android, able to SplitScreen and use other apps.. along with using the S-Pen, I can't complain.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I've been very happy/pleased with the updates on my Note 10+. Samsung has stepped up their game.

Do Samsung now push out regular software updates? I’m thinking of dipping my toes into the Android waters at some point. I’ve always liked the idea of a Samsung note with the s-Pen. However I used a S4 many years ago and it wasn’t a pleasant experience so i was a little hesitant since then.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Do Samsung now push out regular software updates? I’m thinking of dipping my toes into the Android waters at some point. I’ve always liked the idea of a Samsung note with the s-Pen. However I used a S4 many years ago and it wasn’t a pleasant experience so i was a little hesitant since then.
I receive monthly software updates on my Galaxy S10e. My wife has a Galaxy S6 and the S10e experience is much nicer.

Reactions: kazmac and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Right there! Sums it up for me... that's why I moved on (awaiting on what Apple does in the fall). But I'm still in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad and iMac.. can still get iMessages and everything comes with the Apple ecosystem. I just needed a change... the Note10+ features is a joy to have.

I'm using AirMessage for Android, able to SplitScreen and use other apps.. along with using the S-Pen, I can't complain.

I’m in the same situation, i’m heavy in the ecosystem. So much so that I have almost every Apple product category (Mac, iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods). But I’m finding Apple software annoying with the bugs but also IOS is boring, but I’m also asking myself questions like

why can’t I customise my iPhone? Why can’t I still split screen on an iPhone? The screen on my Pro Max is big enough. Why isn’t there a S pen type device from Apple?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am on AT&T and though they’re sometimes slower than other carriers, I get the updates regularly.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m in the same situation, i’m heavy in the ecosystem. So much so that I have almost every Apple product category (Mac, iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods). But I’m finding Apple software annoying with the bugs but also IOS is boring, but I’m also asking myself questions like

why can’t I customise my iPhone? Why can’t I still split screen on an iPhone? The screen on my Pro Max is big enough. Why isn’t there a S pen type device from Apple?

I understand the feeling... it's not that it's boring, but for me... it's not interesting enough. At this point, I realized... We are spending ridiculous amount of money on phones and I want more out of it. I dabbled with Android in the past... but I always went back to the iPhone. Primarily due to iMessage, honestly. But now that I have AirMessage... I'm alright. Like I mention, I'm still in the Apple ecosystem... so I can always come back in the fall.

But yeah, I don't think Apple will ever loosen their grip in terms of customization... it's going to be years before they do that. Same with SplitScreen, heck... I don't envision them bringing that to their iPhones (check iPad thread, so many complains on multitasking). Whereas Apple Pencil, I have a feeling that could come in the near future.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I understand the feeling... it's not that it's boring, but for me... it's not interesting enough. At this point, I realized... We are spending ridiculous amount of money on phones and I want more out of it. I dabbled with Android in the past... but I always went back to the iPhone. Primarily due to iMessage, honestly. But now that I have AirMessage... I'm alright. Like I mention, I'm still in the Apple ecosystem... so I can always come back in the fall.

But yeah, I don't think Apple will ever loosen their grip in terms of customization... it's going to be years before they do that. Same with SplitScreen, heck... I don't envision them bringing that to their iPhones (check iPad thread, so many complains on multitasking). Whereas Apple Pencil, I have a feeling that could come in the near future.

i brought the iPhone 11 Pro Max, so I have no intentions of leaving completely just yet. I do however want to dip my toes in the water of another device, that may well be a Samsung Note. I do also have my eye on the Surface Duo, I really like the look of it. Microsoft are not positioning it as a phone tho.

i dipped my toes in the water of getting a Eco device and I really like Alexa compared to the Homepod. So I’m now looking at dipping my toes with another phone alongside keeping my 11 Pro Max.

I want to be able to do more for my money. On iOS it’s been the same for a fair few years now.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
i brought the iPhone 11 Pro Max, so I have no intentions of leaving completely just yet. I do however want to dip my toes in the water of another device, that may well be a Samsung Note. I do also have my eye on the Surface Duo, I really like the look of it. Microsoft are not positioning it as a phone tho.

i dipped my toes in the water of getting a Eco device and I really like Alexa compared to the Homepod. So I’m now looking at dipping my toes with another phone alongside keeping my 11 Pro Max.

I want to be able to do more for my money. On iOS it’s been the same for a fair few years now.

Yeah, I get it. I’m coming off a iPhone X. And yeah, the Surface Duo.. looks promising, it’s just a manner of how many developers are going to help the platform. At the end of the day... if there’s no developer support, then the customers have no reason to use it.

But yeah, you definitely going to have fun with the Note. Aside from the S-Pen features... there’s AOD, Smart-Pop Up, Edge panel.. and the fact YouTube actually does PiP under Android. But there’s plenty features to go on... I like the fact that Android 10 has decided to adopt iPhone full-screen navigation, so it was a smooth transition coming off the iPhone X.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
They days of no updates are done. I get updates every month on my s10. My gf has a note 8 and she also get regular updates .

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They days of no updates are done. I get updates every month on my s10. My gf has a note 8 and she also get regular updates .

that’s good news. The only reason I’ve stayed with Apple is because of the software, it’s regular updates including new features and it’s privacy. But IOS 13 was really buggy.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
be interesting how Samsung can improve the S pen as last year it did feel like they were struggling to find ways to make the pen better.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
be interesting how Samsung can improve the S pen as last year it did feel like they were struggling to find ways to make the pen better.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first year its bluetooth.

It would be cool if they added microphone support, or maybe that's a stretch.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
There have been loose rumors of them trying to add a camera to the spen in the past although I don't see any benefit of doing it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There have been loose rumors of them trying to add a camera to the spen in the past although I don't see any benefit of doing it.

A camera? That’s definitely something Samsung would do... I wouldn’t put it past them. But I’ll prefer a microphone, tbh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.