Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It can happen and I have heard more reports on Samsung Members community forums of a few Ultra's being buggy.

On my s22 plus everything has been pretty rock solid besides battery drain for the first couple of days.

I am enjoying the update so far. Seems like a lot of improvements.

Seems like there are always some issues on various models after a major update. Samsung is usually pretty good with stability on their Android devices overall.
What are the beneficial improvements, and how is battery life?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It can happen and I have heard more reports on Samsung Members community forums of a few Ultra's being buggy.

On my s22 plus everything has been pretty rock solid besides battery drain for the first couple of days.

I am enjoying the update so far. Seems like a lot of improvements.

Seems like there are always some issues on various models after a major update. Samsung is usually pretty good with stability on their Android devices overall.
I'm hoping it clears up or another update for bugs is released because the phone is a fantastic device. I use an iPhone but the S22 Ultra is easily it's equal.. I was the one that told her to check to see if the Android 13 was listed in updates on her phone and she installed it after she saw it was available. I kinda feel responsible considering she was having no issues on the previous version.. I found some info on reddit and a couple other android/Samsung sites so hopefully she can sort it out

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
What are the beneficial improvements, and how is battery life?

Animations are smoother. There used to be a little delay sometimes and now that is gone. The overall UI seems more polished. Speed seems improved.

Heavy use on my s22 plus and I have around 40-50% left at the end of the day. I would like it to be closer to 50-60% so will see how things go.

I had the s22 at first but it could barely get me through a day. I returned the regular s22 and after a while with a good trade in and sale with promotion got a decent price on the s22 plus. I would like this to be a 2 day phone. Now it is a day and a half. It has been pretty stable in battery life since I got it. When I first installed the update it seemed to go through battery faster than before with 12 but I need a week of use for everything to settle and I was thinking of resetting as I normally do that with major updates and I haven't on this one because there have been no bugs yet I have encountered.

There are a couple of reasons I like Samsung phones. Stability is one of them and really good trade in deals is another. Also their customer service has been good to me. One UI has gotten a lot better over the years. My only gripe is that I wish all of the Samsung and third party apps included could be opt in or out during initial setup. Otherwise they are better than most other Android phones and the only real competition to Apple IMHO.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My Wife has a GS9. It's 4 + years old?.....and no battery issues. No bulge or what have you. Said she doesn't want a new phone.......however, I've been looking into the Samsung GS 22 for her. Been reading the battery sucks. Anyone have that problem?

Talking the regular 22, not Ultras, etc. I think the battery is smaller than my Pixel 7.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
My Wife has a GS9. It's 4 + years old?.....and no battery issues. No bulge or what have you. Said she doesn't want a new phone.......however, I've been looking into the Samsung GS 22 for her. Been reading the battery sucks. Anyone have that problem?

Talking the regular 22, not Ultras, etc. I think the battery is smaller than my Pixel 7.

I wouldn't say it sucks but it lasts about a day of heavy use maybe less depending what you are doing. If she is not a heavy user than probably more than a day.

It is just not what most people are used to with phones lasting more than a day but I wouldn't say the battery sucks.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't say it sucks but it lasts about a day of heavy use maybe less depending what you are doing. If she is not a heavy user than probably more than a day.

It is just not what most people are used to with phones lasting more than a day but I wouldn't say the battery sucks.
It don't have to last more than a day. Just the day without plugging it in multi times. If it does that, it's good. But I've read some that say it's only 5 hours and needs to be charged up.

They always get charged over night.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It don't have to last more than a day. Just the day without plugging it in multi times. If it does that, it's good. But I've read some that say it's only 5 hours and needs to be charged up.

They always get charged over night.

I didn't have the s22 long enough to say for sure. I really think it depends how she uses the phone. For most people I think it would last a solid day.

I ended up getting a s22 plus for the larger screen and longer battery life. It is a great phone overall but battery life is not it's strength. I have had worse for sure and a lot of people tend to exaggerate when they expect something to be a certain way.

I would usually end up with around 20% personally at the end of the day.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
d8d0d1288af0becb58ef117a9d7877cb.png

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Snapdragon 8 gen 2 looks to be a pretty significant improvement from 8 gen 1.

Excited to see what the s23 series will offer besides the upgraded chipset.

My s22 plus seems plenty fast but I can always enjoy faster!

Let’s hope trade in deals on a Pre Order are really good next year…..
I'm hoping that we can get better battery life (I have a UK exynos version) that is my only complaint about the S22 Ultra. And hopefully a good trade in price for my 22 Ultra towards the S23 ultra.

Reactions: Technerd108

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Apologies for coming with a very specific question for a very targeted set of people but are any PWM sensitive folk getting on OK with any of the S22 series?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apologies for coming with a very specific question for a very targeted set of people but are any PWM sensitive folk getting on OK with any of the S22 series?
I've had the S22 since launch, it has been a good phone. At first I thought it was great, but there definitely things that Samsung can improve on in a big way, battery life is one of them. The camera is great on the S22 Ultra and will take a lot of great photos.

this isn't Samsung specific, but Android isn't as polished as IOS. Apps for example seem to lack the quality compared to the iPhone version, for example Twitter and Facebook seem to lag at times. Android has definitely improved over the years, but it still isn't in the same league as IOS in my opinion.

I also have a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, for an everyday watch its great, but the fitnsess tracking I've become frustrated with, at time it will miss out areas on a run and not record them at all, the metrics are also not accurate as they were on my Apple Watch.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Read #GrumpyMom posts even her recent posts note her issues and she seems to favour S22 over her iPhone
Jimmy and I are friends. I think he wants a wider sampling of responses from more owners.

I'm OK on s22 Ultra. I can feel some effect that translates into a vague sensation of eye strain but it's probably not above average. I'm just hyper aware due to more extreme symptoms on iphones.

I did some checking around on older discussions of Samsung phones and OnePlus phones and sadly even their OLED and AMOLED are problematic for people with Jimmy's level of sensitivity to pwm. If we were to invent a scale of sensitivity from 1 to 10 I'm probably a 6 or 7. Jimmy's up there at 8 or above. That's a very rough guess based on our history of struggles with past and present iPhone models.

Why I have seemed more "dramatic" with my issues is that I'm also sensitive to temporal dithering, which only a small subset of pwm sensitive people are sensitive to. That means lcd solutions don't always work flawlessly for people like me. So I'm changing the way I'm living with technology. I'm rationing my screen time.

There may be evidence of the sensitivity causing cumulative permanent physical damage to the nervous system, so this is something to take seriously, but it's unclear if the medical establishments outside of China and Russia do. The Chinese take it seriously according to technology leaker IceUniverse.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Jimmy and I are friends. I think he wants a wider sampling of responses from more owners.

I'm OK on s22 Ultra. I can feel some effect that translates into a vague sensation of eye strain but it's probably not above average. I'm just hyper aware due to more extreme symptoms on iphones.

I did some checking around on older discussions of Samsung phones and OnePlus phones and sadly even their OLED and AMOLED are problematic for people with Jimmy's level of sensitivity to pwm. If we were to invent a scale of sensitivity from 1 to 10 I'm probably a 6 or 7. Jimmy's up there at 8 or above. That's a very rough guess based on our history of struggles with past and present iPhone models.

Why I have seemed more "dramatic" with my issues is that I'm also sensitive to temporal dithering, which only a small subset of pwm sensitive people are sensitive to. That means lcd solutions don't always work flawlessly for people like me. So I'm changing the way I'm living with technology. I'm rationing my screen time.

There may be evidence of the sensitivity causing cumulative permanent physical damage to the nervous system, so this is something to take seriously, but it's unclear if the medical establishments outside of China and Russia do. The Chinese take it seriously according to technology leaker IceUniverse.
100%. Sadly, while I thought it was PWM that was causing eye strain and headaches, it looks like I'm also sensitive to temporal dithering as I'm using an iPhone SE 2022 with LCD and this has given me the same physical response as OLED.

With no joy over 5 years with any of the modern OLED iPhone since the X, I'm looking to try my hand with Samsung as I'm out of options with Apple and prepared to try anything. Ideally a flagship which is why I'd go for an S22 model.

I don't want to derail this thread with sensitivity issues/queries, I was just hoping for some positive (or negative) responses from those who may have had similar experiences with the S22 models.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
100%. Sadly, while I thought it was PWM that was causing eye strain and headaches, it looks like I'm also sensitive to temporal dithering as I'm using an iPhone SE 2022 with LCD and this has given me the same physical response as OLED.

With no joy over 5 years with any of the modern OLED iPhone since the X, I'm looking to try my hand with Samsung as I'm out of options with Apple and prepared to try anything. Ideally a flagship which is why I'd go for an S22 model.

I don't want to derail this thread with sensitivity issues/queries, I was just hoping for some positive (or negative) responses from those who may have had similar experiences with the S22 models.
Ugh it just occurred to me you'd be stuck with Exynos on the S22 in the UK. That would not be great. Samsung Exynos is not as good as Qualcomm.

If you can catch a deal on one of the lower cost S22's to tide you over and trade up to the S23 or s23+ in February, that might be a more satisfying experience for an iPhone enthusiast. The S23 series is strongly rumored to get the new Qualcom chip with better efficiency and much better cpu and gpu performance. There will be some camera upgrades as well.

S23 is a lower maximum resolution than what is available on the S22 Ultra. But I have my S22 Ultra currently set to the FHD resolution instead of max resolution and feel very comfortable on it. And it has noticeably lowered my battery consumption.

I do hate the Samsung keyboard. I'm going to try GBoard on it.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Triband

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
I've been having issues with keyboard on s22 ultra since last update to android 13. Freezes up in some apps and crashes. Really frustrating. Was thinking to pay 400 bucks to change it to fold 4. Did use fold 2 before and loved form factor. What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.