Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I got the October security update today

b6a02f20792efdd370a6dcf0a86a8379.jpg
Just got update too.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
My S22U got scolding hot from the October security patch. The back was hot and I’m wondering if the battery or SOC is heating up. Hoping there won’t be long term damage causing bulging.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
My S22U got scolding hot from the October security patch. The back was hot and I’m wondering if the battery or SOC is heating up. Hoping there won’t be long term damage causing bulging.
Seems like someone has an agenda on here. Or is just trolling.

My 14 PM just got scalding hot from installing iOS 16.1 public beta 4. The back was hot and I’m wondering if the battery or SOC is heating up. Hoping there won’t be long term damage causing bulging.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've never had a phone swell up ..guess I've been lucky ...
Most of our oldest iPhones that were given to either my dad or my mother-in-law swelled up. I think they were leaving their phones on chargers almost all the time and my dad kept his iPhone 5s in a battery case all the time and then kept that mess on a charger all the time. o_O These are people who wouldn’t even turn the phones on unless actively using them. My husband and I had to train them to leave the phones on so we could reach them. They all had Nokias in the 90’s and I guess that formed their habits.

I recently saw my dad’s younger brother, and to my shock, he can text like a teenager and leaves his iPhone on now. The last time I talked to him about cell phones 15 years ago, he was adamant they are only for emergencies!

I don’t recall any of our stored phones that my husband and I are in charge of keeping swelling up.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have had many Android phones over the years and many of them were Samsung from the s4 and on and never had a battery issue besides short battery life.

Just got the s22 plus and I really like it. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and alternate between the two.

I like both phones but the iPhone is the battery champ. I like the slightly lighter weight of the Samsung and slightly smaller size. The screen is also better on the S22+.

Still the software experience is better on iPhone but it is not as huge a difference as in the past.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I got the Android 13 last night, keep up the good work Samsung.👍

Me too. It seems pretty stable so far. I like the changes that they made. Animations seem smoother and overall UI responsiveness is better.

My android auto is working better too.

Think I will let the iPhone 13 rest a bit. iOS 16 is not as good an update as Android 13 in my opinion. I felt like iOS 16 was a regression and not an improvement.

I still like my iPhone 13 a lot but it is nice to have an alternative every so often.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Can’t seen to get my s22 to download the update. Does it need the carrier sim to be in it to work? It just says no updates. AT&T version. I switched to the 14 pro max for now and no sim for s22 ultra. Lol

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Can’t seen to get my s22 to download the update. Does it need the carrier sim to be in it to work? It just says no updates. AT&T version. I switched to the 14 pro max for now and no sim for s22 ultra. Lol
The update is pushed out by AT&T. It shouldn't matter if the card is in the phone or not as long as it is connected to wifi. You could call AT&T and get a better idea of the release schedule and if they require the sim to be in the phone but to my knowledge it shouldn't make a difference.

An easy test would be to switch out the sim and check for the update?

According to Samsung it was released for all s22 models in October. I got mine on the 30th at midnight with t-mobile. I am pretty sure I didn't have the sim in the phone until after the update as it was in my iPhone 13.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
The update is pushed out by AT&T. It shouldn't matter if the card is in the phone or not as long as it is connected to wifi. You could call AT&T and get a better idea of the release schedule and if they require the sim to be in the phone but to my knowledge it shouldn't make a difference.

An easy test would be to switch out the sim and check for the update?

According to Samsung it was released for all s22 models in October. I got mine on the 30th at midnight with t-mobile. I am pretty sure I didn't have the sim in the phone until after the update as it was in my iPhone 13.

Yeah, with esim can’t switch it out. :(

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, with esim can’t switch it out. :(
you can switch them but it is not very easy. It requires going through replacing or activating a new device through your acrriers website. Then to be honest they do not have a smooth process to go from esim to esim or from iPhone to Android in my experince anyway.
I really hope carriers evolve this process soon!

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
you can switch them but it is not very easy. It requires going through replacing or activating a new device through your acrriers website. Then to be honest they do not have a smooth process to go from esim to esim or from iPhone to Android in my experince anyway.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Not easily to test to fix this issue if it is related to the sim. Thanks Apple. Lol

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Switched back to the S22 U from the pixel 7 pro. Totally forgot how great the S22U feels in the hand!
Has anyone gotten Android 13 yet? I thought I read Samsung was rolling it out?

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Switched back to the S22 U from the pixel 7 pro. Totally forgot how great the S22U feels in the hand!

It is out for all s22 models. It depends on your carrier.

I have an unlocked s22 plus on prepaid T mobile and I was able to download the update on the 30th at Midnight.

I would try later at night and when connected to wifi.

Good luck.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
That's why I returned my 14 pro max. I like to switch between Apple and Samsung. It's easy with a physical Sim card. I bought a 13 mini instead.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's why I returned my 14 pro max. I like to switch between Apple and Samsung. It's easy with a physical Sim card. I bought a 13 mini instead.
I have been switching between iPhones and Android phones for years now. It has never been so hard before. I really hope the carriers evolve this process going forward.

Just a side note from my personal experiences....your results may vary
Switching between my 14 PM to the Pixel 7 Pro is often a nightmare. I have to call Verizon and they do it for me over the phone.
Switching from my 14 PM to the S 22U is pretty seamless and the esim activation works well but can take 10 minutes but no call to Verizon anyway

Switching from any Android phone to my 14 PM has been very easy....not sure why to be honest but IOS handles the switch better for some reason.

Reactions: valinda

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have been switching between iPhones and Android phones for years now. It has never been so hard before. I really hope the carriers evolve this process going forward.

Just a side note from my personal experiences....your results may vary
Switching between my 14 PM to the Pixel 7 Pro is often a nightmare. I have to call Verizon and they do it for me over the phone.
Switching from my 14 PM to the S 22U is pretty seamless and the esim activation works well but can take 10 minutes but no call to Verizon anyway

Switching from any Android phone to my 14 PM has been very easy....not sure why to be honest but IOS handles the switch better for some reason.

One of the major reasons I didn't get the iPhone 14 pro was the esim only. That and the pill shape cut out.

I will wait until the next iPhone with USB-C. Maybe they will figure out a better cutout solution. Honestly if it isn't just a single camera cut out like Samsung phones it looks bad. The notch is better because the pill is too big and it doesn't add any real screen usage?

Anyway, right now I am using my s22 plus anyway.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My girlfriend updated her S22 Ultra a couple of days ago and she says Android 13 has been buggy. She did a complete reset to see if it would help before rolling back to the previous OS and it's been better but she still has some issues. She said the previous version was very stable so a roll back is still a possibility

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My girlfriend updated her S22 Ultra a couple of days ago and she says Android 13 has been buggy. She did a complete reset to see if it would help before rolling back to the previous OS and it's been better but she still has some issues. She said the previous version was very stable so a roll back is still a possibility
I was running the beta version and didn't have any issues. I reverted back to stock to get the full release when I read it was being rolled out.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

It can happen and I have heard more reports on Samsung Members community forums of a few Ultra's being buggy.

On my s22 plus everything has been pretty rock solid besides battery drain for the first couple of days.

I am enjoying the update so far. Seems like a lot of improvements.

Seems like there are always some issues on various models after a major update. Samsung is usually pretty good with stability on their Android devices overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.